Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 05:37 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times

Advertisements

It is not universal Tony. In the case of Xerox it was standard at PARC and not done at other facilities. Generally every department had a coffee pool.

I would note though that on a couple of hot projects we implemented free coffee to partially compensate for the 70 hour weeks.

It is however pretty much standard at LV RE shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 05:51 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It is not universal Tony. In the case of Xerox it was standard at PARC and not done at other facilities. Generally every department had a coffee pool.

I would note though that on a couple of hot projects we implemented free coffee to partially compensate for the 70 hour weeks.

Xerox was being cheap! We had water coolers in most places I've worked from health care facilities to corporate offices. Where else would one get the 'good' gossip? Got to have a water cooler!

As for coffee, well at the medical center it was basically mandatory to drink coffee. Docs worked 36hr shifts, particularly interns, and nurses 12-24hr shifts. You have to have something to keep you going. And, STRONG, OMG, the coffee was so strong it would hold up the stirrer!

Old 12-13-2009, 05:53 PM

946 posts, read 2,605,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
And, STRONG, OMG, the coffee was so strong it would hold up the stirrer!
Yes, I know, black as a landlord's heart.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:00 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,449,312 times
Quote:

Few things are universal. That said, you'd be hard pressed to find a publicly traded company in Silicon Valley that didn't have multiple water coolers at a physical site of any consequence.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Few things are universal. That said, you'd be hard pressed to find a publicly traded company in Silicon Valley that didn't have multiple water coolers at a physical site of any consequence.
Free water is universal. Free coffee is not. Most US Engineering facilities did not provide free coffee though it was almost universal in Silicon Valley. It was not however free in LA.

The funniest one I know of was the coffee/tea machines in our facilities in England which were free during coffee/tea breaks and required payment the rest of the time. Whole place would line up at the start of the break...

Old 12-13-2009, 06:10 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Quote:
Free water is universal. Free coffee is not. Most US Engineering facilities did not provide free coffee though it was almost universal in Silicon Valley. It was not however free in LA.

The funniest one I know of was the coffee machines in our facilities in England which were free during coffee breaks and required payment the rest of the time. Whole place would line up at the start of the break...
Were I work the coffee and coffee condiments are free. I work graveyard shifts, and the coffee is a necessity. However, they have gourmet condiments that are 50 cents, and they are based on the honor system. Needless to say, I never use (or steal) them.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:12 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,864,756 times
Quote:

Xerox isn't a Silicon Valley company, and has little in common with what most people think of as "Silicon Valley" companies.

Look at any of the desirable employers in the area: Google, Apple, Adobe, Oracle, Yahoo, NetApp, Nvidia, Cisco, eBay, Juniper, Salesforce.com, etc. All give their employees free bottled water (or RO-filtered, UV sanitized water and stainless steel drinking bottles for the greener companies; we get both), free soft drinks, and in some cases, free meals. Even at these companies, you see a lot of abuse. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen someone stuffing their backpack full of canned soda at the end of the day, or bringing four to-go containers to take food home at dinner. The evening meals are supposed to be for people who are working late, not so people going home at a regular hour can avoid cooking for their family. These are people with salaries well into six figures, so it's not like they can't afford restaurant take-out, or even a private chef.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Xerox isn't a Silicon Valley company, and has little in common with what most people think of as "Silicon Valley" companies.

Look at any of the desirable employers in the area: Google, Apple, Adobe, Oracle, Yahoo, NetApp, Nvidia, Cisco, eBay, Juniper, Salesforce.com, etc. All give their employees free bottled water (or RO-filtered, UV sanitized water and stainless steel drinking bottles for the greener companies; we get both), free soft drinks, and in some cases, free meals. Even at these companies, you see a lot of abuse. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen someone stuffing their backpack full of canned soda at the end of the day, or bringing four to-go containers to take food home at dinner. The evening meals are supposed to be for people who are working late, not so people going home at a regular hour can avoid cooking for their family. These are people with salaries well into six figures, so it's not like they can't afford restaurant take-out, or even a private chef.
PARC, in its time was the classical silicon valley operation. It was also a tragic error as are many silicon valley companies.

That many in silicon valley lack basic morals is a given. Why does that surprise you? The out of control entrepreneur is the model. You have forgotten what Apples first product was...

Old 12-13-2009, 08:07 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,864,756 times
Quote:
PARC, in its time was the classical silicon valley operation. It was also a tragic error as are many silicon valley companies.
The rest of us are discussing the present time, not 1979. Feel free to continue bringing up ancient history, but like you, your experiences stopped being relevant about a quarter century ago. Now, isn't it time for you to go yell at some kids to get off your lawn?

Old 12-13-2009, 08:22 PM

109 posts, read 501,077 times
The water here is really,really bad. I have to buy lotion that is the equivalent of vaseline to keep my skin from flaking...lol. I now have dry scalp now, when I wash clothes I have to use double the soap or wash it twice. And the smell/taste....? Byuk! my initial thought was that i was drinking swimming pool water. I really notice the difference from NYC water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas