Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 11:58 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,477,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danknee View Post
i'll bet you rep points we don't! Well, i've repped you too recently, but asap rep points.
lol....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:59 AM

787 posts, read 1,777,094 times
Turned mine on today for the first time this year (first time since I've owned the house, actually). Would've gone another day or two, but my wife's sister came into town last night. Meh.

Probably gonna leave it set at a comfortable 83 or so. Coming from the East coast, it feels strange to refer to 83 indoors as "comfortable", but it is here...

Old 04-09-2012, 12:09 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,817,252 times
Preemptive Bump.

I had an AC company come and service my unit {}...they cleaned the ducts...acid washed the coils...some other stuff.
He was here for almost 3 hours.
Now I'm fully complaint with my home owners insurance policy.
Damn service set me back $670.
ARGHHHHH

Old 04-09-2012, 12:23 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Preemptive Bump.

I had an AC company come and service my unit {}...they cleaned the ducts...acid washed the coils...some other stuff.
He was here for almost 3 hours.
Now I'm fully complaint with my home owners insurance policy.
Damn service set me back $670.
ARGHHHHH
Yeah, I had a coupon for an AC checkup that I used last week. It was a $40 coupon and by the time he was done I was writing a check for over $200 and he wanted to do more.

I wish I was more mechanically inclined as I am sure the part he replaced at a cost of $160 was nothing more than a $10 part.

I am a self admitted idiot when it comes to things mechanical and electrical.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:37 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
I've never been a proponent of duct cleaning, as there has never been any proof that it prevents illness or even that dirty ducts lead to increased levels of airborne particles in homes. But if you're going to get it done, according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association it should take 2 technicians between 8-15 hours to clean a 2000 sq. ft. house.

Scam Alert: Avoid

(The Scam Alert title in the link above from Consumer Reports is in reference to scammers in the industry, not reputable duct cleaning companies. However, they still only recommend having ducts cleaned in limited circumstances, such as if someone is suffering from unexplained allergies.)

Old 04-09-2012, 12:49 PM

I had the ducts cleaned in my Calif. home a couple of years back. Maybe it was just in my head, but I believe that my A/C ran much more efficiently and kept the house much cooler after the fact.

Just my personal experience, but I think it was well worth it.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
I had the ducts cleaned in my Calif. home a couple of years back. Maybe it was just in my head, but I believe that my A/C ran much more efficiently and kept the house much cooler after the fact.
That shouldn't be hard to measure, using your utility bills from before and after the cleaning. Assuming the temperature outside was roughly the same both months.

Or you could compare August 2009 to August 2010 if that makes more sense, again assuming avg. monthly temperature and AC usage was about the same. If the AC was much more efficient, your bills should reflect that.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Complicating such a measurement would be that we had the ducts cleaned during mid winter and really didn't need A/C for a few months after the fact. Also we had our solar panels turned on in March so where our bill for June the year before came in at around $250-300 most likely, our bill for June of last year was between $1 - 2.

I suppose I could get into the nitty gritty of my bills and compare kWh used and generated to the previous years used, but that is just too much hassle. I will stick with the "It felt like things were running more efficiently and my home was cooler."

Old 04-09-2012, 01:46 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,843 times
For some reason it seems that Las Vegas is more prone to these unscrupulous characters than other cities. A couple years ago I was approached in the Centennial Home Depot to take advantage of a furnace checkup for $89 dollars. I agreed and clearly told the girl my whole point was to have the pilot light ajusted lower, since it was running a little high. When the technician arrived, I went up into the attic with him to observe him fiddle with the furnace, just to improve my chances that he wouldn't eff it up on purpose. Fortunately he did not, he first said that the furnace needed replaced and that he had a deal on a furnace and a/c unit installed for $8000. When I absolutely convinced him that I wasn't buying a new unit. He told me that for the unit's age it was in pretty good shape. Then he tried to sell me duct cleaning for $900. After trying to convince him I did not want duct cleaning, he finished checking the furnace. I walked him back out to his truck and paid him, although he did nothing but take covers off, look around and put covers back. BTW, he said the pilot light was not adjustable.

When we got back out to his truck he told me to wait a minute and pulled a guitar out of the back and started singing Dillon songs for me. He said he practiced between calls. I went back to Home Depot and complained - they apologized.

Lesson learned. If your units are working, just replace the filters and don't mess with them. Unless you really know and trust the technician, it's bound to cost you more money having routine service performed when compared to the little bit of savings in better efficiency IF he does his job correctly and that's a big IF. If you want to be exposed to these type of sales techniques, just go to a time share presentation. At least you'll get free show tickets out of the deal and you won't have to worry about your furnace being sabotaged.

Good luck,
Croce

Old 04-09-2012, 02:04 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
For some reason it seems that Las Vegas is more prone to these unscrupulous characters than other cities. A couple years ago I was approached in the Centennial Home Depot to take advantage of a furnace checkup for $89 dollars. I agreed and clearly told the girl my whole point was to have the pilot light ajusted lower, since it was running a little high. When the technician arrived, I went up into the attic with him to observe him fiddle with the furnace, just to improve my chances that he wouldn't eff it up on purpose. Fortunately he did not, he first said that the furnace needed replaced and that he had a deal on a furnace and a/c unit installed for $8000. When I absolutely convinced him that I wasn't buying a new unit. He told me that for the unit's age it was in pretty good shape. Then he tried to sell me duct cleaning for $900. After trying to convince him I did not want duct cleaning, he finished checking the furnace. I walked him back out to his truck and paid him, although he did nothing but take covers off, look around and put covers back. BTW, he said the pilot light was not adjustable.

When we got back out to his truck he told me to wait a minute and pulled a guitar out of the back and started singing Dillon songs for me. He said he practiced between calls. I went back to Home Depot and complained - they apologized.

Lesson learned. If your units are working, just replace the filters and don't mess with them. Unless you really know and trust the technician, it's bound to cost you more money having routine service performed when compared to the little bit of savings in better efficiency IF he does his job correctly and that's a big IF. If you want to be exposed to these type of sales techniques, just go to a time share presentation. At least you'll get free show tickets out of the deal and you won't have to worry about your furnace being sabotaged.

Good luck,
Croce
Dumb question that is kind of random from your post...your furnace is in the attic? Is that normal? If so why? Just curious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: