Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You are scaring me Pink, what are smart meters?
Do a search on them. So many people in different states complaining about them. Many people being billed way much more than they used to be. But then some are getting bills for $5. I can live with that. lol
There was something on the news recently that said Nevada Power is already switching people over. Within the next year they should have everyone switched. So whether we like them or not, here they come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 09:01 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
to paraphrase an OLDE GE commercial.
When better people are screwed Nevada Power will screw them

Old 06-05-2010, 10:21 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
I finally turned mine on.......June 3rd. It was nice while it lasted.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:07 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Yep....those days are gone

Old 06-05-2010, 10:54 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,801 times
AC is still off inside the condo. My corner unit is surrounded by mature trees, nice!!!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:17 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Do a search on them. So many people in different states complaining about them. Many people being billed way much more than they used to be. But then some are getting bills for $5. I can live with that. lol
There was something on the news recently that said Nevada Power is already switching people over. Within the next year they should have everyone switched. So whether we like them or not, here they come.

smart meters are just another tool the greedy b******* at NVenergy will use to lower their expenses and increase their profits. as usual, they are harping the new system to be a benefit to consumers because it "will allow users to 'take control' of their power usage". The only thing it will do is make your power bill higher than your mortgage payment in the summer months when you need it the most, especially those of us who cant leave the house or business during those particular high demand hours of 2pm - 7pm. NVEnergy wont stop until they get the lions share of ones total monthly budget.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:38 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Finally turned ours on the today, set at 80, with fans going crazy!
I hope that you are only running fans when someone is actually in the room. Otherwise, you are doing nothing but wasting electricity. It is a common misconception that fans lower the temperature of a room. In fact, they do no such thing. It only feels cooler on your skin. (Sort of like the wind chill factor the weathermen use to describe temperatures in the winter.)

Old 06-06-2010, 09:02 AM

207 posts, read 734,574 times
Meh, the heck with that noise.. my AC lives at 65 degrees all summer long. I want to be COLD..

I see that now they recommend you keep it at 80 lol

First it was "Keep it at 70" then "Keep it at 72" now its "Keep it at 80" pretty soon they will tell us to set it at 90 lol

If its hot outside my home is an igloo

Already out here in Pahrump they were talking Smart meters, until a near riot broke out at the Co-Op meeting (We have a co-op power company out here so we are all part "owners")

That idea got killed rather quickly.

Smart meters shut off your AC during the hottest part of the day. No thanks!

Old 06-06-2010, 03:41 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinga View Post
Meh, the heck with that noise.. my AC lives at 65 degrees all summer long. I want to be COLD..

I see that now they recommend you keep it at 80 lol

First it was "Keep it at 70" then "Keep it at 72" now its "Keep it at 80" pretty soon they will tell us to set it at 90 lol

If its hot outside my home is an igloo

Already out here in Pahrump they were talking Smart meters, until a near riot broke out at the Co-Op meeting (We have a co-op power company out here so we are all part "owners")

That idea got killed rather quickly.

Smart meters shut off your AC during the hottest part of the day. No thanks!
I saw a commercial last year where NVPower idiots said to set the thermostat at 86 during the night. I can't sleep with it that high. I can do it at 84 with the ceiling fan on high and the floor fan on high and even then it's pushing it.
Those idiots better not turn off my a/c between the hottest part of the day or there will be hell to pay. I am here all day. And refuse to die for them too. (don't need dead kitties either, plus my house plants)
One of the worst parts about the "smart meters" besides making us pay much more for using appliances during the hot part of the day is they are also making us pay for them to switch over. $200 million is coming out of the customer's pockets with an increase every month until it's paid off. I am really tired of having to pay more for all these stupid things and would just like to pay for electric used. But that will never happen in a for profit company. They seriously need some competition here.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:35 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
I did some research on these things and they are extremely bad. They have them only in California and Texas. I read reply after reply that people's electric bills tripled with these smart meters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: