Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 05:45 PM

89 posts, read 131,995 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is the right thread but speaking of legal/illegal immigration: I mean, there are a lot of mexicans that just cross the border, ok, I get it, but there are also many other foreigners from other countries that live illegally in the USA. What do they do ? They stay even when their visa tourist is over ? Is not like they swim from Europe/Africa to the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 04:26 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
I don't know if this is the right thread but speaking of legal/illegal immigration: I mean, there are a lot of mexicans that just cross the border, ok, I get it, but there are also many other foreigners from other countries that live illegally in the USA. What do they do ? They stay even when their visa tourist is over ? Is not like they swim from Europe/Africa to the USA.
Most illegal aliens who are not from Mexico, Central or South America are visa overstayers. That said, many have been caught sneaking across the Mexican border. They fly to Mexico then hire coyotes to sneak them into this country.

While here illegally, they do the same things that other illegals do---they use a fake or stolen SSN then get jobs.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:44 PM

63,000 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
60% of illegal aliens are Mexicans and most just jumped our border. 40% of illegal aliens are visa overstayers. So entry without a visa is much higher than those who enter legally with a visa and just overstay.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Nobody is saying they didn't move from somewhere else. But they came first. The point people are making is this: You weren't here first, you displaced and murdered people, you are an immigrant and just because you have immigrated, you want to stop others from immigrating. That's basically it. Nothing more to argue. No need to talk about the origins of natives and what not. Lots of rhetoric along this line I've been seeing in recent years. Talking about some bridge. Lol. Out of topic and befuddled. And don't know it.
First doesn't mean squat when you are speaking of a continent/country so long ago that didn't even have borders or immigration laws at the time. "You" (as in "I") didn't murder or displace anyone. I wasn't even born then. Those people are all dead now. I am not an immigrant I am a U.S. citizen by birth. Throughout history wars have been fought and land exchanged ownership. I suggest you stop living in the past.

I don't want others to stop immigrating here just that they follow our immigration laws to do so. Yes, there is nothing more to argue as this is the present not the past.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Immigration laws are designed to allow people that have certain skills that are lacking in the US. To me that is the general picture and I agree with that.
To just say that were have so many unemployed citizens does not realize other factors.

I will just make and example: Let us say the US has a shortage of electrical engineers. Based on a certain quota requirement, they may allow a certain number to immigrate.
Of the unemployed Americans, how many are electrical engineers? How many those are willing to relocate? How many do not qualify for certain specific jobs thus are not getting employed?

It is important to put aside biased perceptions and look at immigration more closely, not just to say we have so many millions unemployed. Are those millions unemployed skilled and qualified to hold the jobs that immigration quotas need to keep this nation going? Take care.
As long as an employer can prove that he cannot fill a certain job with an American at a fair wage then I have no problem with a foreigner filling it by coming here legally but not illegally.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,556,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
As long as an employer can prove that he cannot fill a certain job with an American at a fair wage then I have no problem with a foreigner filling it by coming here legally but not illegally.
Basically you said the same thing I wrote. Take care.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:30 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,851,736 times
"Lets double or triple legal immigration!"

Let's NOT.

Cheers.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:33 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Employers cheat shamelessly in "proving" that no American could possibly fill positions. They've been doing this for many years in IT, and probably many other sectors of the economy as well. If they can't get an American to fill the job, maybe they ought to raise their salary. But of course, supply and demand is for the little people, not the vaunted "job creators."

Old 08-14-2014, 04:56 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Right now America lets in a little over one million LEGAL IMMIGRANTS to our country every year. We need more, according to the Senate Bill that the House of Representatives has not voted on. The Senate Immigration Bill will basically triple Legal Immigration quotas.

Most people don't seem to care about legal immigration, because it is legal.

What do you think, should America double or triple legal immigration in the near future?

Would greatly increasing legal immigration limit illegal immigration? Would it cause our country to boom?

Because it is legal, it's good isn't it? How about raising it even more, maybe up to five million or even more every year? Your thoughts on increasing LEGAL IMMIGRATION numbers.

instead of increasing it, the USA should be decreasing the amount of people coming in legally. plus make it so anyone coming here illegally a felon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration