Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:12 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,930,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Absolutely not! We have 23 million unemployed Americans, water shortages in the west, healthcare facilities swamped, overcrowded schools, jails and hospitals, etc. We don't need more people in this country.
A common argument riddled with fallacies. It ignores the fact that legal hardworking immigrants will help (both literally and financially) construct more healthcare facilities, schools and hospitals. Furthermore, cherrypicking immigrants also reduces the crime rate per capita. If there was no growth, countries would collapse. Look at Russia's economy today.
The point about water shortages is the only valid one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 04:11 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
A common argument riddled with fallacies. It ignores the fact that legal hardworking immigrants will help (both literally and financially) construct more healthcare facilities, schools and hospitals. Furthermore, cherrypicking immigrants also reduces the crime rate per capita. If there was no growth, countries would collapse. Look at Russia's economy today.
Don't you get it? Due to illegal immigration, many hospitals in border cities have been forced to close as they could no longer afford to give free care to illegals.

Schools? Where will the money come from for more schools? Please don't say real estate taxes. Where I live a house has to be assessed at $1 million in order to cover the education of one child.

So, you are cheerleading for more population growth because without it, our country would collapse? Have you looked at India? They have more that 1 billion people. Do you think that their economy is doing great? It's not great. In fact, they are a third world country without enough potable water. That's what overpopulation gets you.

Wake up!

Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Legal immigration in controlled numbers is fine. Which means we have to keep population growth in mind and the availability of jobs and resources. So where's the fallacy? Illegal immigration from the uneducated, unskilled and poor of third world countries in uncontrolled numbers is a burden to our country. They don't construct hospitals schools, etc. they just burden them. Again, where's the fallacy?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
it will be the end of unions. it will be the end of what were afro american neighborhoods.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:17 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Default Absolutely

Yes, we should increase legal immigration. The variety of cultures helps this country, and increases the chances that the GOP will lose its status as a major political party. There is no place in this country for a political party of racist white men, that has the kind of clout and influence as the GOP. They have proven time and time again that they are a severe detriment to the well-being of this nation, and are nothing more than champions of cronyism. Legal immigrants can help put an end to this.

Triple legal immigration? You bet.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Yes, we should increase legal immigration. The variety of cultures helps this country, and increases the chances that the GOP will lose its status as a major political party. There is no place in this country for a political party of racist white men, that has the kind of clout and influence as the GOP. They have proven time and time again that they are a severe detriment to the well-being of this nation, and are nothing more than champions of cronyism. Legal immigrants can help put an end to this.

Triple legal immigration? You bet.
So, you want one party rule? Move to North Korea. It will be more to your liking.

You also believe that only "racist white men" are republicans? Really? I'm an independent who has supported candidates on both sides of the aisle and have attended fund-raising events. Guess what? At events for republican candidates there were plenty of non-whites, legal immigrants and young people. Try going to one sometime and see for yourself

You also are aware that neither party is looking out for Americans, right?

At one time, I was a staunch democrat. I grew hearing the stories from my parents and grandparents about how much democrats did to help the poor, working and middle classes. Those democrats of yore would never have tolerated illegal immigration because they knew just how much it hurt their constituents. Today's democrats put illegal aliens ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed Americans. That's a real shame. It's also why I'm now an independent who would never vote the straight party line.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:20 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So, you want one party rule? Move to North Korea. It will be more to your liking.

You also believe that only "racist white men" are republicans? Really? I'm an independent who has supported candidates on both sides of the aisle and have attended fund-raising events. Guess what? At events for republican candidates there were plenty of non-whites, legal immigrants and young people. Try going to one sometime and see for yourself

At one time, I was a staunch democrat. I grew hearing the stories from my parents and grandparents about how much democrats did to help the poor, working and middle classes. Those democrats of yore would never have tolerated illegal immigration because they knew just how much it hurt their constituents. Today's democrats put illegal aliens ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed Americans. That's a real shame. It's also why I'm now an independent who would never vote the straight party line.
I agree. I am a lifelong Democrat who believes the party left me behind. I'm not a Republican either now I am independent (but lean Libertarian).

Old 07-22-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I agree. I am a lifelong Democrat who believes the party left me behind. I'm not a Republican either now I am independent (but lean Libertarian).
If I could rep you, I would!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
Quote:
If I could rep you, I would!
Same here. I have been repping a lot and getting the I need to spread the rep.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 AM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:

It's unbelievable that these people think that the GOP has no other party members than supposed racist old white men. When they make statements like that they only show their own racism towards white Americans. The GOP has nothing against legal immigration in reasonable numbers. It is illegal immigration that they are opposed to. What we have today isn't diversity either. One ethnic group is being favored with large quotas and they also make up the largest group here illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration