Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 03:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Pretty much every study promoted by the media says that bringing in immigrants into a community has a positive impact on the local job market for both the immigrants and native born. Do you believe it?
Doesnt make sense,if you have a finite number of jobs in a given community i'd give the jobs to those in the community before bringing in immigrants to take those jobs,.seems to me bringing in more people to fill too few jobs is just going to have you end up with more unemployed people.
You'll have to elaborate on how bringing in more immigrants is a positive for local community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 03:30 PM

983 posts, read 1,635,489 times
This has been discussed ad infinitum in this place. There is a large number of unskilled, unemployed workers who WILL NOT be able to perform the jobs that (legal) immigrants are taking.

So, basically, the idea of not bringing immigrants until unemployment is 0% is very bad indeed. It should be seen by sector, and closely matched to what the industries need. Also, the enforcement must be much better to prevent visa fraud. TCS, Wipro, Tata, etc, run huge fraudulent schemes that hurt both locals and the people they bring.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:05 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
This has been discussed ad infinitum in this place. There is a large number of unskilled, unemployed workers who WILL NOT be able to perform the jobs that (legal) immigrants are taking.

So, basically, the idea of not bringing immigrants until unemployment is 0% is very bad indeed. It should be seen by sector, and closely matched to what the industries need. Also, the enforcement must be much better to prevent visa fraud. TCS, Wipro, Tata, etc, run huge fraudulent schemes that hurt both locals and the people they bring.

now i see why indian nationals tend to get a lot of audits/RFEs in all stages of their GC application

Old 07-17-2014, 09:31 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
So in California where there is nearly 10 million legal immigrants and growing, there is little illegal immigration and no budget crisis at the state and local level?

Your response has nothing to do with what I posted

Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,300 times
I find there is little discussion about LEGAL IMMIGRATION even though the huge increase in the LEGAL IMMIGRATION numbers of unskilled workers have had a huge impact on our country. Why is this true?

Old 07-18-2014, 08:50 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
I find there is little discussion about LEGAL IMMIGRATION even though the huge increase in the LEGAL IMMIGRATION numbers of unskilled workers have had a huge impact on our country. Why is this true?
How about some official links with real numbers:>)

Old 07-20-2014, 09:10 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,091,016 times
I am all for increasing legal immigration to somewhere less than the total of illegal and legal immigration is today. Our birthrate is such that we need more workers capable of doing productive jobs that that increase the amount going into programs such as Social Security.

But first, the illegal immigration has to be brought under control. Once that is done, those seeking to immigrate would only do so if the jobs were here waiting for them. It would cut down on the number of people coming here looking for a handout.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:16 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Increasing legal immigration should raise revenues and decrease illegal immigration . To say there is no reason is simply ignorant or inflexible
If we keep increasing legal immigration, how long will it be until we are a country of 1 billion people and not enough potable water? You know, like India. With all those people India has, have they "raised revenues"?

Old 07-20-2014, 02:18 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Pretty much every study promoted by the media says that bringing in immigrants into a community has a positive impact on the local job market for both the immigrants and native born. Do you believe it?
No, I don't believe it.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:11 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
There is no reason to increase legal immigration.

There are LOTS of reasons why we should enforce the immigration laws that are on the books.
Agreed!

First let me qualify this by saying that until our government (as has been repeatedly promised in times of elections and subsequent 'promise' propaganda) gets their/our illegal immigration and all that entails where it is legally suppose to be...zero, zip, zilch for increasing any legal immigration whatsoever.

It is akin to the proverbial 'sweeping it under the rug' and anyone and everyone on both sides of the equation finding their way around every legality and loop hole there is in order to garner the results they desire...at the expense (in oh so many ways) of the American taxpayer and their families.

Secondly I truly want to express my complete and utter dissatisfaction and annoyance of anyone calling anyone else a racist when it comes to denouncing illegal immigration. Personally, I don't care if the peoples of illegal immigration are blonde, red headed, brown haired, black haired, gray headed, or bald and blue, green, gray, hazel, brown, or black eyed peas. Caucasian, Black, Brown, Yellow, Red, or Pink in reference to skin tone/color. Illegal immigration is exactly what it says...ILLEGAL, regardless of country of origin, race, color, ethnicity or creed period!

Rant over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I am all for increasing legal immigration to somewhere less than the total of illegal and legal immigration is today. Our birthrate is such that we need more workers capable of doing productive jobs that that increase the amount going into programs such as Social Security.

But first, the illegal immigration has to be brought under control. Once that is done, those seeking to immigrate would only do so if the jobs were here waiting for them. It would cut down on the number of people coming here looking for a handout.
In short...THIS ^, precisely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration