Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:17 PM

10 posts, read 21,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
South Baldwin is not bad. North Baldwin is bad. Depends on what you consider "bad." Freeport is dangerous- gangs, shootings, etc. But, you will find nice houses on the water in South Freeport. You can't send kids to school in Freeport.
JDMA can you please elaborate on what makes North Baldwin bad? Drove through that town and I have seen some pretty nice homes in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 06:52 AM

655 posts, read 1,061,133 times
they are OK but trending downward. I would not make an investment in either community as it stands today but if you got in when it was cheap, etc. then its suitable for you. I think Baldwin will have a huge demographic shift in the next 10yrs and while its uncomfy for some to admit, other LI towns that have experienced similar shifts haven't fared as well.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:37 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleruckus8 View Post
JDMA can you please elaborate on what makes North Baldwin bad? Drove through that town and I have seen some pretty nice homes in the area.
If you are a middle class black family, it's a great area. Well kept homes. If you are white, you might be uncomfortable since you will be the minority and it would be a bad choice. If you don't mind being the only white family, then you are fine. People differ on this.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:09 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Baldwin in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County

JDMBA, can you point out the area you are referring to as "North Baldwin" on the following map of the Hamlet of Baldwin?

A map of the Hamlet of Baldwin in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:

The Hamlet of Baldwin has a different border than does the "Baldwin, NY 11510" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" address and not be in the Hamlet of Baldwin and a place can be in the Hamlet of Baldwin and have other than a "Baldwin, NY 11510" mailing address): places that have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Baldwin are in the Hamlet of Oceanside, the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor and the Hamlet of Roosevelt; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Baldwin that have an "Oceanside, NY 11572", "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" and "Roosevelt, NY 11575" mailing address.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:20 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
JDMBA, can you point out the area you are referring to as "North Baldwin" on the following map of the Hamlet of Baldwin?

A map of the Hamlet of Baldwin in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:

The Hamlet of Baldwin has a different border than does the "Baldwin, NY 11510" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" address and not be in the Hamlet of Baldwin and a place can be in the Hamlet of Baldwin and have other than a "Baldwin, NY 11510" mailing address): places that have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Baldwin are in the Hamlet of Oceanside, the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor and the Hamlet of Roosevelt; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Baldwin that have an "Oceanside, NY 11572", "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" and "Roosevelt, NY 11575" mailing address.
JDMBA I hope you don't mine but I'll answer this for you.

Walter I don't care about your maps and your " I know L.I. geography better than you attitude" Baldwin has always been "unofficially" separated by SUNRISE HIGHWAY. North of Sunrise, North Baldwin....South of Sunrise, South Baldwin. There is even a post office in North Baldwin and One in South Baldwin. They changed it officially by the USP office years ago. My address change from Baldwin to North Baldwin a few years before I left.
I know it doesn't show this on your little maps but it does exist. I lived there for many years......your lost if it's not on your maps

Old 06-17-2010, 01:27 PM

BigMike50, On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

(While it may happen that with the release of the 2010 Census there will be revisions in the borders, and, even possibly the names, of the various hamlets, until the 2010 Census is released, the borders and names of the hamlets (CDPs) will be those from the 2000 Census.)

Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
BigMike50, On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

(While it may happen that with the release of the 2010 Census there will be revisions in the borders, and, even possibly the names, of the various hamlets, until the 2010 Census is released, the borders and names of the hamlets (CDPs) will be those from the 2000 Census.)

Walter it already happened back in 2003. Sorry if I came off a little strong on you, but a lot has change since 2000 especially in Baldwin. Her's some listings http://www.longislandexchange.com/li...n=N.%20Baldwin and here's another link Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:36 AM..

Old 06-17-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Walter it already happened back in 2003. Sorry if I came off a little strong on you, but a lot has change since 2000 especially in Baldwin.
BigMike50, several points:

1. The Nassau County Planning Commission which passes along the official maps that are used by the Census Bureau does not give a wit about postal borders, changes in these postal borders or changes in the names associated with these postal borders.

2. Changes between the every 10-year Census only make it into the official record upon the release of the next Census.

3. Oftentimes, the sites you listed, as well as the MLSLI.com, lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
BigMike50, several points:

1. The Nassau County Planning Commission which passes along the official maps that are used by the Census Bureau does not give a wit about postal borders, changes in these postal borders or changes in the names associated with these postal borders.

2. Changes between the every 10-year Census only make it into the official record upon the release of the next Census.

3. Oftentimes, the sites you listed, as well as the MLSLI.com, lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.
lol, you go to great lengths, above and beyond the average Joe. I wish I would have known this when I was selling the house by owner. I use to field calls all the time " Is the house located in North Baldwin" I should have responded no......not according to "The Nassau County Planning Commission" and I wouldn't be lying

Old 06-17-2010, 03:43 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,803 times
North of Sunrise Highway is North Baldwin and South of Sunrise Highway is South Baldwin, as stated correctly by Mike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island