Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:13 PM

5 posts, read 36,106 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a co-op in Nassau County. How's Freeport and Baldwin?

Brooklyn Ave
FREEPORT, NY 11520

Grand Ave.
Baldwin, NY

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 PM

327 posts, read 1,064,033 times
Both are not that hot... if looking in Freeport go south of Atlantic.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:31 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Generally speaking, if you have school-age children, of the two, the consensus would favor the Hamlet of Baldwin versus the Village of Freeport.

azeng1981, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 PM

5 posts, read 36,106 times
Default thanks for all of your comments

thanks for all of your comments

Old 06-13-2010, 05:07 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,999 times
South Baldwin is not bad. North Baldwin is bad. Depends on what you consider "bad." Freeport is dangerous- gangs, shootings, etc. But, you will find nice houses on the water in South Freeport. You can't send kids to school in Freeport.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:20 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
South Baldwin is not bad. North Baldwin is bad.
By south and north Baldwin do you mean the southern part and the northern part of Baldwin or, by south Baldwin, do you mean Baldwin Harbor, and, by North Baldwin, do you mean Baldwin?

Bear in mind that concomitant with the 1990 Census, the area south of the median of Atlantic Avenue was separated from the Hamlet of Baldwin and was formed into the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
By south and north Baldwin do you mean the southern part and the northern part of Baldwin or, by south Baldwin, do you mean Baldwin Harbor, and, by North Baldwin, do you mean Baldwin?

Bear in mind that concomitant with the 1990 Census, the area south of the median of Atlantic Avenue was separated from the Hamlet of Baldwin and was formed into the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor.
South of Merrick road is ok...but, just go further East and go to Bellmore or Merrick instead. The Kennedy High School is better than anything Baldwin, Freeport, or anything else around there can offer. We almost bought a house in Bellmore for that reason (South of Merrick rd).

Old 06-13-2010, 07:01 PM

239 posts, read 612,617 times
Are there really a lot of shootings in Freeport? I live here and I never hear about them. I'm not being snarky, by the way; this is a serious question. I miss a lot of local news since Snoozeday stopped getting delivered to my school.
In defense of the Freeport schools, I believe test scores are low because there are so many English Language Learners. It's difficult for them to do well on the high-stakes exams. I know a wee bit of Spanish, but I know I'd fail if I had to take a test in it! Also, Freeport is in the same sports division as the school where I teach. I've been to a few events at the high school and it doesn't seem bad at all. The kids are well-behaved, spectators show good sportsmanship, etc. I'm not so sure the schools are as bad as so many of us have been led to believe. (I, too, thought it was a "bad" neighborhood until I began researching my first move).

Old 06-14-2010, 09:16 AM

214 posts, read 459,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
South Baldwin is not bad. North Baldwin is bad. Depends on what you consider "bad." Freeport is dangerous- gangs, shootings, etc. But, you will find nice houses on the water in South Freeport. You can't send kids to school in Freeport.
I respectfully disagree...Freeport has an excellent elementary program...

Old 06-14-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123abc123 View Post
I respectfully disagree...Freeport has an excellent elementary program...
I have no idea about the elementary program. I'm just referring to the high school.

As far as shootings, I recently was speaking with a woman whose son was shot walking home and killed for no reason. She was telling me that the area is dangerous and this is the area South of Merrick that I thought was ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island