Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:06 AM

151 posts, read 367,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
That area is usually the poorest, and throughout Baldwin the houses in that area seemed run-down compared to other sides, as goes for the other towns. I lived in central massapequa, and yes that area is much more run-down then the other sides. Freeport is mostly commercial in that area, thus It is a little uncomfortable (mostly apt buildings, thus poor, and poor often equals unsafe). I guess what I'm trying to say is that If I had to walk through Freeport or Baldwin at night, I'd feel more comfortable north of sunrise or south of merrick.
Since when does living in an apt building make you poor? I guess Donald Trump is poor too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 03:26 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,074 times
I live in Baldwin Harbor, about 4 blocks south of Atlantic Ave. We have a great mix of diversity in our little enclave. Our neighbors are both black and white. The black neighbors on our street drive BMWs and send their 2 kids to private school. The neighbor on the end of our street is a bi-racial couple (white male construction worker married to black female). I don't see any Asians though which is kinda sad..I would love to see more diversity.. My husband grew up here and bought the house before we started dating..the area is quite safe. We are both professionals and plan to stay.

I like our area, it's safe and close to everything we need (Big n Cheap, Waldbaums, Applebees, Best Buy). My only complaint is that there are many stores along Grand Ave that are doing nothing for its residents but be eyesores....the corner of Merrick Road and Grand Ave for instance has 3 vacant storefronts on each corner with nothing on them except large signs saying "Building for Rent or Lease, please call ___"). I wish they would stick a Starbucks or Ralphs Italian Ices on those corners..

Old 10-10-2013, 07:48 AM

36 posts, read 283,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Sounds like those realtors from the 60's. We don't need the realtors to do the dirty work, we can get people from other towns to ruin the reputation of a community. No wonder why Long Island prides itself on its segregation. We are #3 in the country, we can do better, let's make it to #1.
Yeah it does. Being a former resident of Baldwin who remembers the infamous NAACP "steering" lawsuit that desegregated Baldwin, I must say that's true. Despite being more Black than white [ north of Sunrise/ SR-27], when I was there last in 2011, Baldwin still looked nice as ever. I'm working on the first chapter of my book and was looking up stuff on Baldwin; in particular, what's the name of that tiny lake near Notre Dame Court. A street which, ironically, was Baldwin's first 100% African-American NEIGHBORHOOD [ not " hood"]. Then again, currently living and going to college [as a non-traditional student] at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, NM [ 58% Hispanic/Mexican-American....incl. many "Undocumented's" LOL], I can relate to being the minority as a white!

Old 10-12-2013, 06:41 AM

186 posts, read 526,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsass123 View Post
Yeah it does. Being a former resident of Baldwin who remembers the infamous NAACP "steering" lawsuit that desegregated Baldwin, I must say that's true. Despite being more Black than white [ north of Sunrise/ SR-27], when I was there last in 2011, Baldwin still looked nice as ever. I'm working on the first chapter of my book and was looking up stuff on Baldwin; in particular, what's the name of that tiny lake near Notre Dame Court. A street which, ironically, was Baldwin's first 100% African-American NEIGHBORHOOD [ not " hood"]. Then again, currently living and going to college [as a non-traditional student] at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, NM [ 58% Hispanic/Mexican-American....incl. many "Undocumented's" LOL], I can relate to being the minority as a white!

As an aulumni of freeport high class of 79 I can tell you without a doubt that you do not want to live in either Freeport or baldwin. I did and look what it did to me.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:26 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvey103 View Post
As an aulumni of freeport high class of 79 I can tell you without a doubt that you do not want to live in either Freeport or baldwin. I did and look what it did to me.
It didn't do anything to you, that was your inbred genetics.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
It didn't do anything to you, that was your inbred genetics.

Lol thats a whole nother story

Old 10-12-2013, 04:50 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,472 times
I think Baldwin is the PERFECT example of a good town being bashed solely due to it's racial makeup

Baldwin has high rates of higher-education completion, a median household income higher than the Nassau County avg and good performing schools; while still managing to be bashed by ppl of other communities. It shows that a lot of LI'ers still have a serious complex and it really does more harm than good for all.

BALDWIN:
Median household income: $96k
Bachelors Degree or higher: 43%
School performance: 7/10
Racial makeup: 40% white, 33% black, 20% hispanic, 4% asian
//www.city-data.com/city/Baldwin-New-York.html
http://www.greatschools.org/new-york.../Baldwin-Ufsd/

OCEANSIDE:
Median household income: $92k
Bachelors Degree or higher: 41%
School performance: 8/10
Racial makeup: 90% white, 8% hispanic, 2% asian
//www.city-data.com/city/Oceanside-New-York.html
http://www.greatschools.org/new-york...ceanside-Ufsd/

EAST ROCKAWAY:
Median household income: $90k
Bachelors Degree or higher: 38%
School performance: 6/10
Racial makeup: 88% white, 8% hispanic, 2% asian
//www.city-data.com/city/East-R...-New-York.html
http://www.greatschools.org/new-york...Rockaway-Ufsd/

NASSAU COUNTY OVERALL:
Median household income: $93k
Bachelors Degree or higher: 35%
//www.city-data.com/county/Nassau_County-NY.html

So what's the least common denominator?

Old 10-13-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I think Baldwin is the PERFECT example of a good town being bashed solely due to it's racial makeup

Baldwin has high rates of higher-education completion, a median household income higher than the Nassau County avg and good performing schools; while still managing to be bashed by ppl of other communities. It shows that a lot of LI'ers still have a serious complex and it really does more harm than good for all.

BALDWIN:
Baldwin Ufsd in Baldwin, NY | GreatSchools

OCEANSIDE:
Oceanside Ufsd in Oceanside, NY | GreatSchools

EAST ROCKAWAY:
East Rockaway Ufsd in East Rockaway, NY | GreatSchools

NASSAU COUNTY OVERALL:

sorry but theres nothing racial about it baldwin and freeport are not the best places to live.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:08 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post

BALDWIN:
Baldwin Ufsd in Baldwin, NY | GreatSchools

OCEANSIDE:
Oceanside Ufsd in Oceanside, NY | GreatSchools

EAST ROCKAWAY:
East Rockaway Ufsd in East Rockaway, NY | GreatSchools

NASSAU COUNTY OVERALL:

This tells part of the picture.....I would also like to see Crime statistics, illegals,gangs,illegal apartments,empty storefronts,drug activity,etc,etc.....It will show more of a complete picture!

Oceanside
East Roc
Baldwin
Freeport

Old 10-13-2013, 11:21 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,472 times
Before I begin, it's really ridiculous to place Baldwin and Freeport in the same category since they have NOTHING in common by ANY of the metrics (not income, not educ. attainment, not school performance, not crime and not even ethnic makeup)

I just haven't seen anything remotely valid or even plausible that indicates Baldwin being a bad place to live. I've heard several ppl on here say Baldwin is not a good place to live but with absolute nothing to back them up. I mean i'm sure some of you can dig up isolated random news articles but anybody with access to a search engine can dig up dirt on any city, county, country, town and state that they want to.

By the way, Baldwin was fairly recently ranked the 25th best place to live in the entire nation by CNN Money Magazine, here's the article:
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...neymag/25.html

As for illegal apartments and undocumented residents, there is no data available on that since they are just what their names suggest: Illegal and undocumented! All you can rely on in this case is gossip and hearsay, which is often inaccurate.

Here are the crime rates of all 4 communities. As you can see they are all reasonably close to each other and are all significantly lower than the New York state average(for the exception of Freeport).

East Rockaway (crime is 61% lower than NY state avg):
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Baldwin (crime is 34% lower than NY state avg):

Baldwin Harbor (crime is 54% lower than NY state avg):

Oceanside (crime is 52% lower than NY state avg):

Freeport (crime is 15% higher than NY state avg):

One practical thing that you MUST also keep in mind is the level of commercial activity that each community has. Baldwin has an LIRR stop where a lot of ppl from all over go through, lots of commercial activity on multiple roads and borders different types of towns [to the north and east] than Oceanside and E.Rock

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2013 at 05:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island