Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 07:35 PM

324 posts, read 335,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
But, wait! I can almost here BigMike and pdc running to their computers to flame/troll/report this thread until it gets locked like the other ones.
Yep, that's about right. I'm picturing that a beacon gets lit in Tarnation, VA whenever a civil servant thread is created on this forum, kind of like the bat signal.

The fact is the county police have a compensation package that is unsustainable. I'm happy to see all of the posts about it, it means people are beginning to understand just how much the police are overpaid.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:38 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Pequa. just did this thread, but here goes..........

Base pay should be around 40K starting to 65K senior.
OT limited to max xtra 12 hrs./wk. for safety.
Also, instead of all the high OT pay, they could probably hire a couple of more po per shift, and bring a po in early on shift to do paperwork when necessary, send the other out to finish tour. 25 years max career is fine.
I definitely think your numbers are right in there. I would be fine with cutting the salary of each PO, but keeping the budget pretty well intact. Maybe a 10% reduction in budget while adding a decent amount of POs in some of the areas that really need it. I'm fine with paying a cop 100k if they are working significant overtime, but paying someone 200k is just unsustainable.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 PM

400 posts, read 761,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisel17 View Post
I don't begrudge anyone who makes what the market pays. Good for them, they deserve it.

I'd like to see you deal with matters in the middle of the night in Roosevelt, Uniondale, New Cassel, and Freeport and tell me you aren't putting your life at risk while doing so.
The truth is that cops in nassau arent being paid high salaries because they deserve it and the job warrants a high salary... Its because of corruption that they have it so nice.....

The supply and demand should dictate the market.. there are thousands of people who would and can do that job for ALOT less.... so why should the unions be so exclusive...

The cops I know are all lost souls who didnt really have a destination or interest in life.. they just became cops..Now thats not everyone though

Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
A Nassau county Police officer was violently killed over the weekend. It's a bit too soon to say his salary wasn't worth it. Give it some time before you continue with your typical hate speech against our finest.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
A Nassau county Police officer was violently killed over the weekend. It's a bit too soon to say his salary wasn't worth it. Give it some time before you continue with your typical hate speech against our finest.
Saying they are over paid is hate speech? I think it's time to put down the pipe.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I agree, now if we could only get some cops who make what the market pays.
I was thinking the same thing when I read that post.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 PM

76 posts, read 137,438 times
A horror and a terrible tragedy when a police officer loses their life while on duty. My sympathies to his family. What a total shame.

The guy who did it has been charged and if he did fall asleep at the wheel, he should be punished.

My experience with the Nassau police department has been overwhelmingly positive.

But in this case we have the absolute worst case scenario. Really the extreme circumstance. A man lost his life in the line of duty. In this case, his family should be taken care of as if he completed his full employment on the force so they don't have to worry about money. They've lost enough.

If you're legitimately hurt on the job, you should be compensated for the sacrifice. Very few jobs you run the risk of dying every day like a police officer. But it is a life choice that they choose.

That said, I think their pay is too high. If an officer maxed out at $100,000 with all overtime, I'd say that would be a generous living for the services he/she provides. And if he works in a high crime area, he should get paid a premium over the guys that work in a low crime area (e.g. Old Westbury). There are some precincts that are much safer than others.

Last edited by Keeper; 02-08-2011 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned quote

Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
Wow, no need for the violent threats.
Why not?

Are you gonna call the cops?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Why not?

Are you gonna call the cops?
They get paid enough to answer my call, but there's no way I'd need them.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Really bad form LongIslandCitizen, I can't really believe someone would use a tragic death as a weapon to try to break up a discussion about a totally different topic.
He should be ashamed of himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island