Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:20 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Galicia, your historical fact leaves out that the Island has changed quite a bit since the 1950's and even since the 1980's. The Island's population has been aging in place which helps keep the population constant, along with immigrants (a large portion over the age of 45) replacing the younger Islander's who leave. in other words the Island's growth industry isn't aerospace or software but aging. check out the numbers of weddings on the Island, down quite a bit. So at this point I just don't see support for your theory of housing prices increasing by 4 to 8 times the current value.
Go back reread thread and show me where I said 4-8 times the current value. Immigrants will play a big role in the future of the Island. Indians and Asians specifically. The people with money.

Not the elite that expect their 4bedroom 3 bath brand new accomodations they rightfully deserve. Those people will be going to the greener pastures where they don't have to see their neighbors and traffic is non-existant. Where there are many places to go and so much more to do. For the rest of us poor schulbs we will be stuck here in misery buying homes that won't be worth a damn on LI as society crumbles around us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,655 times

You mean Queens East?? Thats not even part of Island is it?

Old 02-19-2012, 04:20 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
lol, that sites seems questionable!

The avg. salary of a Drag Racer on LI is $34,000:
http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Drag+Racer&l1=Long+island%2C+ny

The avg. salary of a Vagina on LI is $22,000:
Vagina Salary in Long Island, NY | Indeed.com

The avg. salary of a Guido on LI is $37,000:
Guido Salary in Long Island, NY | Indeed.com

The avg. salary of a Princess on LI is $47,000:
http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Princess&l1=Long+island%2C+ny

I rest my case!
That site is obviously wrong the vagina is worth triple that on the island.

type in police officer on L.I. and you get 40k... Is that accurate?

Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
lol, that sites seems questionable!

The avg. salary of a Drag Racer on LI is $34,000:
http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Drag+Racer&l1=Long+island%2C+ny

The avg. salary of a Vagina on LI is $22,000:
Vagina Salary in Long Island, NY | Indeed.com

The avg. salary of a Guido on LI is $37,000:
Guido Salary in Long Island, NY | Indeed.com

The avg. salary of a Princess on LI is $47,000:
http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Princess&l1=Long+island%2C+ny

I rest my case!
Very interesting!

******* Salary in Long Island, NY | Indeed.com

Being an a-hole on LI is a six figure gig and if you dial it in to just Nassau County it is $160K! I wonder if you can get a pension with that?

Old 02-19-2012, 04:24 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Very interesting!

******* Salary in Long Island, NY | Indeed.com

Being an a-hole on LI is a six figure gig and if you dial it in to just Nassau County it is $160K! I wonder if you can get a pension with that?

Some might look my way and say yes

Old 02-19-2012, 05:08 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,142,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Go back reread thread and show me where I said 4-8 times the current value. Immigrants will play a big role in the future of the Island. Indians and Asians specifically. The people with money.
You're right, I misread your post and missed that you were referring to 1950's prices. My apologies.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:17 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,142,604 times
Senior Programmer Salary in Suffolk County, NY | Indeed.com

Yes Jetties, I used the geographic area of Long Island as the average because a person could work in either county.

BigMike, you also have to look at the individual jobs listed underneath the average.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:12 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Senior Programmer Salary in Suffolk County, NY | Indeed.com

Yes Jetties, I used the geographic area of Long Island as the average because a person could work in either county.

BigMike, you also have to look at the individual jobs listed underneath the average.
You use Henrico County as a comparison as well, which is about 1/4 the population of Nassau - using Nassau or Suffolk individually makes it a slightly more relevant comparison. Depending on the point you are trying to make you use Nassau for higher salaries and Suffolk for lower - or you combine them to bring the overall average down.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
no one from outside long island or the ny metro area moves to LI unless its for a job. people from other states arent interested in moving to LI unless they have to. LI is mostly natives and some others that moved for a job, its not people that quit their jobs elsewhere and uprooted their lives just so they could fulfill a dream of moving to LI, that concept is unheard of.

Well actually, there are those persons that may come to this region (i.e., the greater New York City metropolitan area) to be inside or proximate to New York City and wind up deciding that they want to be relatively proximate enough (commutable) to NYC yet have a less dense, less congested home environment than living in any of the 5 boroughs of NYC itself. So they may actually choose LONG ISLAND to live in but primarily moved to Long Island to be PROXIMATE TO NEW YORK CITY. In other words, it was NEW YORK CITY that brought them to live in Long Island (rather than LONG ISLAND itself being the primary attraction).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island