Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Does this post really deserve so much anger?
He was mad because he could sense you're a better driver. LIMA is very insecure about his driving, I've been assigned as his personal advisor on that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 AM

909 posts, read 1,838,259 times
I may have rubbed him wrong with a few of those other posts. I don't even know why a bothered trying to defend LI that hard. For those who have been here 50-60 years and long for the Island of old, guess what things change and nothing lasts forever. Sure it was great that you grew up playing in the streets and great neighbors and all that but, that was a long time ago. I'm in my mid30's and remember playing manhunt and hockey in the street and you don't see that anymore. It's not the place though its the society. Besides over protective parents, kids would rather be on the couch playing video games or on the pc doing any number of things. You see kids out to dinner now and it consists of the parents staring at eachother while their kids are testing or playing video games. It's not LI's fault. Also taxes are a part of life. There are many machine shops still open eventhough taxes are out of control. I think LongIslandPerson had the best post in this thread which spelled out the answer to the thread title.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:28 AM

95 posts, read 235,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Sometimes it is not by choice. My mother is very ill, my dad her primary caregiver. Their house on LI was not handicapped friendly (split level) and their taxes were rising steadily (we know all about that). They would have loved to have stayed here near their children; they couldn't afford to buy another house on LI and then retrofit it for handicapped accessibility.

My sibling and her family, as well as a grandparent and sister's in-laws all left.

Sometimes one has to decide between close knit or whether to pay bills or buy food.
I'm sorry to hear that Sometimes we have to make hard choices, I agree. The disabled & elderly here have it super hard, as they're on a fixed income which isn't likely to go up much (if anything).

Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,997,280 times
Quote:
I may have rubbed him wrong with a few of those other posts. I don't even know why a bothered trying to defend LI that hard. For those who have been here 50-60 years and long for the Island of old, guess what things change and nothing lasts forever. Sure it was great that you grew up playing in the streets and great neighbors and all that but, that was a long time ago. I'm in my mid30's and remember playing manhunt and hockey in the street and you don't see that anymore. It's not the place though its the society. Besides over protective parents, kids would rather be on the couch playing video games or on the pc doing any number of things. You see kids out to dinner now and it consists of the parents staring at eachother while their kids are testing or playing video games. It's not LI's fault. Also taxes are a part of life. There are many machine shops still open eventhough taxes are out of control. I think LongIslandPerson had the best post in this thread which spelled out the answer to the thread title.
It is Long islands fault because theirs no $hit to do here.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
It is Long islands fault because theirs no $hit to do here.
What is there to elsewhere that you can't do here?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
What is there to elsewhere that you can't do here?
Ride atvs
freshwater fish (without a permit)
Have some space from your neighbors
drag race
sleigh riding (pretty much gone)
no theme parks (splish splash is water dont really count)
get off the island in under an hour an a half
Own a few acres of land without developers harassing you.
Win the lottery without half of it going to taxes.

This is off the top of my head i will update it as i go along
mybe this can be a sticky?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,331,641 times
Quote:
Ride atvs
drag race

You can sleigh ride if you live in a hilly area. When it snows, break out the sled.

You have a lot of space from your neighborhood compared to Queens and Hudson County.

Drag racing is illegal in most places but you could still do it at some racetrack in Riverhead.

From where I live, you could be in the city at Penn Station in less than 60 minutes and I live in Suffolk.

As for the developers, use a word called-

........|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨…
........|..........NO!!!! ........|||"|""\__
........|__________________|||_|___|)<
........!(@)'(@)""""**!(@)(@)****!(@)

Who needs theme parks when you have not only Splish Splash but Adventureland and Coney Island? Plus, theme parks are overrated anyways..

Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
You can sleigh ride if you live in a hilly area. When it snows, break out the sled.

You have a lot of space from your neighborhood compared to Queens and Hudson County.

Drag racing is illegal in most places but you could still do it at some racetrack in Riverhead.

From where I live, you could be in the city at Penn Station in less than 60 minutes and I live in Suffolk.

Who needs theme parks when you have not only Splish Splash but Adventureland and Coney Island? Plus, theme parks are overrated anyways..
I dont know if your talking trian but i was talking by car.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Ride atvs
drag race
Win the lottery without half of it going to taxes.

Half your list has nothing to do with "things to do" on the island. The other half scream of redneck behavior. Even the hillbillies with 50 acres upstate have to pay taxes on lottery winnings...what was the thinking behind that one? New York repealed the salt water fishing permits last year but, upstate to fish in the fresh water you need a permit. Btw ocean fishing>>>>>fresh water and LI has a pretty strong handle on that. Drag racing huh? Condos bother you but, you wish you could drag race on the street?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:13 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post

Sleighs are horse-drawn. Sleds is what this person is likely thinking of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island