Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 04:23 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Atlantic City is basically a knock-off Las Vegas. Once you leave the boardwalk, you might as well be in Newark, NJ.
I went to A.C. a few years ago and stopped at a CVS a couple blocks inland. Felt like I had somehow taken a wrong turn into West Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
I didn"t say Atlantic City was the best i said it was better then NYC
witch isin"t hard to pass.
Time to get the paint chips out of your diet, son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 10:32 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Even if there wasn't - which is a hilarious notion in and of itself - there are hundreds of places in the US one could consider ahead of the turd known as Atlantic City.
Maybe he hasn't been anywhere but LI, NYC and Atlantic City so he doesn't have much to compare?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
If it wasn't for the sky-high taxes, I truly believe that Long Island would be heaven on earth
That's really my main rant too. If we had property taxes as low as in NYC, I wouldn't have much complaining to do about LI.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:06 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That's really my main rant too. If we had property taxes as low as in NYC, I wouldn't have much complaining to do about LI.

If you had property taxes as low as NYC then you more than likely would start complaining! The services would plummet and the schools would go to seed. And NYC makes up for low property taxes by having a resident income tax. I'm sure a Long Island income tax wouldn't be too popular.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:23 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
If you had property taxes as low as NYC then you more than likely would start complaining! The services would plummet and the schools would go to seed. And NYC makes up for low property taxes by having a resident income tax. I'm sure a Long Island income tax wouldn't be too popular.
That's the tripe they want us to believe. Yeah, my son's 1st grade education would plummet if his teacher only made $90k instead of $125k?! Too funny. Drop my taxes to NYC levels and I'd pay a resident income tax in a heartbeat. Quick guess is it would be an easy $3 or $4k savings a yr.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:28 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
That's the tripe they want us to believe. Yeah, my son's 1st grade education would plummet if his teacher only made $90k instead of $125k?! Too funny. Drop my taxes to NYC levels and I'd pay a resident income tax in a heartbeat. Quick guess is it would be an easy $3 or $4k savings a yr.
no way dude. Don't you know the youth of Syosset and Jericho would stop taking AP classes and start running with the Bloods and Crips OVERNIGHT!

Old 02-06-2012, 02:21 PM

131 posts, read 300,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
If you had property taxes as low as NYC then you more than likely would start complaining! The services would plummet and the schools would go to seed.
So, with this blissful insight, I should be shooting off fireworks out of my orifice every time my taxes increase because that would mean the kids are getting a better education? - as for our "services"...we have a mass transit system that is useless for traveling intra county (Suffolk) and inter (from mid/eastern Suffolk to Nassau). We should be getting a lot more for what we pay.....and, we're not.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 PM

152 posts, read 292,370 times
Sheep always follow! Do you really believe education would plummet if citizens voted no?? We vote yes and they still cut programs! Wake up!

Old 02-06-2012, 02:45 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,841 times
Oh yeah I forgot, its that time of the year again.... the time for inaction !!
blah blah blah blah for 3423 posts and then.... school budgets pass with (insert your % here) increase.... end of story.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:19 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
Please - state mandates have already decided where most of your money is going - the 2% cap is nothing - fighting over the scraps. I bet the half of you here have no idea how your taxes are distributed - just some vague notion of "overpaid workers"
Yes or no to the 2% cap won't be doing much - you've already been sold down the river by Albany in previous decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island