Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 AM

95 posts, read 235,234 times

Advertisements

We go sledding on Long Island! This year has stunk snow-wise (only got 2 days of sledding/tubing so far), but normally we have all kinds of fun with the kids.

We drive to Jersey for Six Flags. To PA for Dorney Park, Hershey, Lancaster County. There's some nice weekend trip spots nearby.

Not really into drag racing or riding ATV's. Heard it's fun though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 AM

113 posts, read 306,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Besides beach, pizza, bagels and being in the shadow of NYC why should someone move to the Island?
What opportunities are available to someone starting out?
How easy is it to start a business?
Which companies are moving into the area?
What are my options for housing and lifestyle?

Believe it or not this is a serious question that I'd really like to see answered.
So if you were going to sell someone from out of the area on why they should move to Island, what would you put before them?
You nailed it...the 3 best things I miss the most from Long island,besides my friends...

Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy Q Yankee View Post
We go sledding on Long Island! This year has stunk snow-wise (only got 2 days of sledding/tubing so far), but normally we have all kinds of fun with the kids.

We drive to Jersey for Six Flags. To PA for Dorney Park, Hershey, Lancaster County. There's some nice weekend trip spots nearby.

Not really into drag racing or riding ATV's. Heard it's fun though.
Everything you said except sledding witch in my mind took a major hit when they killed bald hill to build some 200 condos is in every other state

Old 02-16-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Everything you said except sledding witch in my mind took a major hit when they killed bald hill to build some 200 condos is in every other state
I'm from the N. Shore so we never really went sledding on Bald Hill anyway. Usually we go to the golf course on Sheep Pasture behind Stony Brook Hospital. There's lots of other spots too, including the good ol' sump down the block from our house.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:36 PM

Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 PM

276 posts, read 988,854 times
I am laughing so hard I could vomit with the above pic. Too funny!

Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWords View Post
I am laughing so hard I could vomit with the above pic. Too funny!
Someone sent it to me on facebook and I couldn't help but put it on here

Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 AM

426 posts, read 960,529 times
Actually, besides being close to Manhattan, if somebody asked me to give them reasons to move to LI, I don't even know if I could come up with 5 good ones.....if you are young and you want to be close to the Big Apple, then it might be good for you.

However, the taxes are atrocious, the politicians are corrupt, housing prices on LI are still very high compared to other areas of the country, there are really no businesses moving here (if anything, they are moving OUT of NY) the infrastructure and roads are in great disrepair, the LIRR is one of the oldest and most unreliable train systems in the country, and did I say taxes are crazy?.....

Sooooo.....you decide.....

For myself, as a young guy in his late 20's here on LI, its pretty difficult to swing it if you don't have a good job......half of my good friends who are over 25 still live at home because they can't afford an apt on their salaries.....

Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Actually, besides being close to Manhattan, if somebody asked me to give them reasons to move to LI, I don't even know if I could come up with 5 good ones.....if you are young and you want to be close to the Big Apple, then it might be good for you.

However, the taxes are atrocious, the politicians are corrupt, housing prices on LI are still very high compared to other areas of the country, there are really no businesses moving here (if anything, they are moving OUT of NY) the infrastructure and roads are in great disrepair, the LIRR is one of the oldest and most unreliable train systems in the country, and did I say taxes are crazy?.....

Sooooo.....you decide.....

For myself, as a young guy in his late 20's here on LI, its pretty difficult to swing it if you don't have a good job......half of my good friends who are over 25 still live at home because they can't afford an apt on their salaries.....
Your friends sound like smart people. Unless they spend the money they should be saving on partying. Can you give me 5 good reasons to move elsewhere.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:26 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Your friends sound like smart people. Unless they spend the money they should be saving on partying. Can you give me 5 good reasons to move elsewhere.
1.Space
2 less traffic
3.less development.
4.more things to do then go nuts when they build a new dennys.
5.less taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island