Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 AM

418 posts, read 1,070,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Happy to see you made it through alright.

I was at the gas station earlier refilling my gas containers. The generator burned through a bit of gas since we lost power on Monday. LIPA was around the corner an hour ago removing lines from a downed tree. The lineman told my neighbor we are looking at another 10-14 days without power. I'll be making a lot of trips to the gas station.
Yeah, I figured. They have so many trees to remove, wires and transformers to take care of... - even 2 weeks is optimistic, IMO. Because of the little clusters and ancient wiring in old Stony Brook, we will be at the very end.
The university is closed for the week, but of course most of us are around (with no power at home).

I am making schedule where to shower over the next couple of weeks - friends, university gym etc.

At this point, I start to worry about the freezing :-( - temperatures are to fall close to freezing over the next week or so... That will just add insult to injury...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Worried about my friends and family who I can only talk to occasionally - txts seem to only get through intermittently. I'm hearing unbelievable stories of gas stations running out of gas, small pockets of looting, and persons impersonating national guard/power employees robbing houses. It's unsettling, especially when thinking about the elderly in cold dark houses on pitch black blocks and no real ETA on when things will get back online.

Stay safe folks.
I fear the ripple effects as the days go by. No gas for the car. No way to get to work. No mass transit. No communications. No way for food and other supplies to get in. Two densely populated islands right next to each other, bad scenario. How long can people go on like this? We have the time change coming this weekend, going to get darker much earlier. It's such a bad time of year for this, if it had to happen - summer would be a bit more palatable.

I checked the LIPA website this morning - you can drill down to local areas - every one I checked said "No crew assigned yet"...."still assessing". I think the infrastructure the needs to be replaced at the distribution level is probably a scary number.

We are supposed to visit over Vets Day weekend and I wonder if it will be feasible to make the trip.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:07 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Worried about my friends and family who I can only talk to occasionally - txts seem to only get through intermittently. I'm hearing unbelievable stories of gas stations running out of gas, small pockets of looting, and persons impersonating national guard/power employees robbing houses. It's unsettling, especially when thinking about the elderly in cold dark houses on pitch black blocks and no real ETA on when things will get back online.

Stay safe folks.
Same here. Contact with friends and family has been spotty at best. Hope the cold weather holds off.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:11 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I had to bring my mom to my house yesterday she lives in Malverne and it looks like a war zone. Trees fell everywhere including a huge oak on a neighbors house around the corner. I have power and heat so she will be staying with me for awhile. Her neighbor called today and said there were no LIPA trucks to be seen in that area.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 AM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Well Newsday's locked down their online edition again.
So grimy. I've been visiting their site over the past few days to check on updates related to Long Island as I have family in the area and it's been difficult to get in touch with them. Insensitive greed.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 AM

14 posts, read 28,874 times
use the "private browsing" (firefox) or "incognito browsing" (chrome) to get to newsday, works for me.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I fear the ripple effects as the days go by. No gas for the car. No way to get to work. No mass transit. No communications. No way for food and other supplies to get in. Two densely populated islands right next to each other, bad scenario. How long can people go on like this? We have the time change coming this weekend, going to get darker much earlier. It's such a bad time of year for this, if it had to happen - summer would be a bit more palatable.

I checked the LIPA website this morning - you can drill down to local areas - every one I checked said "No crew assigned yet"...."still assessing". I think the infrastructure the needs to be replaced at the distribution level is probably a scary number.

We are supposed to visit over Vets Day weekend and I wonder if it will be feasible to make the trip.
Things are slowly getting better day by day. The gas situation will be bad for a week or two but as power continues to come online it will abate. Mass transit should largely be restored next week (so they say) and the highways on LI are fine. Wouldn't worry about vets day, you should be fine to come here by then.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Hope everyone made it through alright and things get back to normal as soon as possible. Moderator cut: snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
So grimy. I've been visiting their site over the past few days to check on updates related to Long Island as I have family in the area and it's been difficult to get in touch with them. Insensitive greed.
Considering that their customers don't have power to browse the site.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:34 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
The government is failing us. Welcome to Katrina North. Where is the president. Sending help from the campaign trails thanks for the hope...only thing we have now

Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
The government is failing us. Welcome to Katrina North. Where is the president. Sending help from the campaign trails thanks for the hope...only thing we have now
yes he should be up on a utility truck fixing wires.

Nice try. Go back to listening to talk radio kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island