Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 03:09 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times

Advertisements

Where is he. At least flew over. Where is he? Playing politics in the midwest? At least show his face here. Give people some personal encouragement. He is failing us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 03:17 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Where is he. At least flew over. Where is he? Playing politics in the midwest? At least show his face here. Give people some personal encouragement. He is failing us
umm he's here in the storm areas already: New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg endorses Barack Obama, citing climate change

(pic from NJ yesterday)

Old 11-01-2012, 03:25 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
^^^ That sounds like a headline from THE ONION.

I know Obama is credited with many things, but I didn't realize he was being credited with being able to reverse climate change. I bet Al Gore is pissed!

Old 11-01-2012, 05:04 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
LIRR update from this evening:
MTA Long Island Rail Road is restoring limited hourly service for tomorrow morning’s rush on the Port Jefferson Branch from Huntington to Penn Station and on the Babylon Branch to Penn Station as work continues around the clock in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. The recovery work, while taking place throughout the LIRR system, focused on returning service to the LIRR’s four largest branches – Port Washington, Ronkonkoma, Babylon and Huntington.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Yikes. Are you in Nassau or Suffolk?

Power being restored seems to be a crapshoot. Most family and friends are still without.
Suffolk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-01-2012, 07:04 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Happy to see you made it through alright.

I was at the gas station earlier refilling my gas containers. The generator burned through a bit of gas since we lost power on Monday. LIPA was around the corner an hour ago removing lines from a downed tree. The lineman told my neighbor we are looking at another 10-14 days without power. I'll be making a lot of trips to the gas station.
I can tell you having been through several hurricanes in FL and the April 27th tornadoes they usually do tell you longer without power so you won't be mad if it takes a few days longer than say 5 days. The longest time was 7 days and that was during the tornado. If you live near a hospital you will get the power back sooner too. They always go by the # of people who are affected too. If there are several thousand people without power and your area has 1000 people without the larger no. gets power first, at least that has been my experience.

Good luck to you all. Stay safe

Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Considering that their customers don't have power to browse the site.
Everyone in Long Island without power, and I mean, EVERYONE I know, old and young, has Internet on their phones to visit web sites, which are they doing with greater frequency because they are bored out of their minds. Most have cars that can charge their phones, hence, I don't buy that argument one bit.

NYT also continues to have their storm coverage complimentary.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
^^If you ever knew how slow Internet access is after a major hurricane comes barreling thru. Making a call or even a text was next to impossible till yesterday.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:02 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
umm he's here in the storm areas already: New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg endorses Barack Obama, citing climate change

(pic from NJ yesterday)
I thought there were 2 times that Christie was actually going to lean over and kiss Obama. It was surreal watching a guy who would bury Obama at a Romney fundraiser looking at him all googly eyed. Every single mayor or governor to appear in any clip at one point or another said the words "Federal aid". For residents of LI to be against FEMA is just insane to think about.

seriously, though - Jersey took it hard.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Everyone in Long Island without power, and I mean, EVERYONE I know, old and young, has Internet on their phones to visit web sites, which are they doing with greater frequency because they are bored out of their minds. Most have cars that can charge their phones, hence, I don't buy that argument one bit.ma

NYT also continues to have their storm coverage complimentary.
I have NO cell or landline service at my house. When I power up my generator I am able to get Internet access on a limited basis. Sometimes I can get a post through and other times it hangs. Texting is spotty. We received an email from AT&T stating that they are trying to bring their network back up for all customers. When home I am using a Kindle as my desktop is offline.

So not everyone on Long Island has Internet access via their phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island