Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:59 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I'm not gonna bother to read the entire thread. It sounds like the usual, hypocritical Long Island NIMBY complaining. As best as I can find out, the university has been in its present location since 1962. I wonder how many of the protesters have been there that long. It sounds like the people who move next to the LIE and then complain about the noise.

For you out-of-towners who are thinking of moving here, the NIMBYism is yet another great feature of this decaying suburb.
Wow, you are clueless. No one who lives by the university is complaining about rentals. Its about foreign "investors" buying houses and illegally turning them into boarding houses. They are illegal, dangerous, and ruin the quality of life for the residents of the neighborhood. They are not complaining about LEGAL apartments that are rented out to students. Try reading the whole thread, and do some research before you make idiotic assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Wow, you are clueless. No one who lives by the university is complaining about rentals. Its about foreign "investors" buying houses and illegally turning them into boarding houses. They are illegal, dangerous, and ruin the quality of life for the residents of the neighborhood. They are not complaining about LEGAL apartments that are rented out to students. Try reading the whole thread, and do some research before you make idiotic assumptions.
I went to USB during the 90's, and I spent the entire time living in run down slumlord owned houses. There have been illegal rentals in that area, as there are near any University, for as long as most of the houses have been there. The "critter" section of East Setauket was loaded with them when I went to school.

I'm not saying the locals don't have a case, but to make it seem like this is something new because of "foreign" investors being involved is ridiculous. The guy who owned one of my houses lived in Brooklyn, what's the difference? Some of our neighbors had issues with us too, but you should know that moving into any neighborhoods near the school that these places exist.

On a side note, I got a kick out of seeing 5 Asian students trying to mow a lawn that was about 2 feet high with one of those old fashioned propeller type lawn mowers while driving up Stony Brook road last year.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 PM

62 posts, read 107,270 times
I am with dman72 on this issue. Illegal boarding houses have been there for a long long time. Now when foreign-looking investors start to get into the game recently, suddenly the locals are worried. Oh, by the way, lots of foreign-looking investors are American citizens as well. But who cares, right? They do not look like real long island Americans, LOL!

Well, let's just call it xenophobia or maybe something more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post

Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,197 times
B/c someone posted a website talking about foreign investors and encouraging rich international students to buy homes does not mean its happenning all over 3V. Second, these foreign investors are buying a home FOR THEIR KID to share with their friends (not necessarily translate to frat/animal houses) and living AS A SINGLE FAMILY. Think of them as a any new homeowner buying their very first home. They will know jack about neighbors relationship and maintainence so give them a break as you would to a "loving young couple" doing the same crap in their first home purchase. Third, foreign students while may be spoiled, have more of an uphill battle with academics and adjusting to american culture. They are typically more timid and unlikely to be throwing parties (and oh yeah, what parties! SBU is not a party school). There is NO FOREIGN INVASION. If you don't believe me, go look up public records of sold homes in the last year in the 3V.
The town solutions right now are to increase fees for EVERYONE and limit your rights to have your driveway pave how you want. Sorry but not everyone wants a green lawn to mow every weekend during the summer. The town is going to fine YOUR MOTHER the maximum penalty of $10,000 if she decided to make an illegal alteration for her grown kids. Reality is many people makes illegal alterations (that does not translate to unsafe conditions). There are so many people with illegal converted garages to office spaces or whatever it is they simply decided it was worth the risk of the wrath of the town codes. Now the town wants to collect. Lets see how popular this will be.

The town supervisor is publicly championing some made up crusades to rid of boarding homes and some idiotic citizens advocate group championing a selfish cause b/c they cannot see past their limited snobby horizon. How about those illegal immigrant homes in farmingville right in the town's backyard? How about driving down Ocean Ave / 112 and seeing dozens of day labourers waiting for work. Guess where they live? Those illegal day labourer crammed homes still exist. So the news is highlighting the extreme student housing rental but reality is none of this is new nor is it the typical student housing and its sound like a sorry excuse for the town to raise revenue then to address anything for anyone.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_man55 View Post

The town supervisor is publicly championing some made up crusades to rid of boarding homes and some idiotic citizens advocate group championing a selfish cause b/c they cannot see past their limited snobby horizon. How about those illegal immigrant homes in farmingville right in the town's backyard? How about driving down Ocean Ave / 112 and seeing dozens of day labourers waiting for work. Guess where they live? Those illegal day labourer crammed homes still exist. So the news is highlighting the extreme student housing rental but reality is none of this is new nor is it the typical student housing and its sound like a sorry excuse for the town to raise revenue then to address anything for anyone.
That's because the students won't provide the cheap labor that is hired by the companies paying off town officials to look the other way.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,040 times
What everyone fails to understand is that the house rentals are a product of the university not being able to house all the students that it needs to. Also the landlord owner pays just as much property tax as a resident home owner, but the landlords rights are being ignored.

Why is the university not involved with the off campus rental situation. Many schools around the country are actively involved with the town in issuing "Authorized Off Campus Housing". Getting rid of the slumlord owners is then controlled by not only the town, but now the state as well.

Stonybrook has been a college town for a very long time. That will not change. The residences need to understand that the changes that Brookhaven has implemented will only create more illegal housing. The landlord owners have do provide income to the town, they also have mortgages to pay, and if you limit the amount that can rent, then the landlord owners will have no choice but to rent to more than the legal number of people. The alternative will be empty houses, that don't pay into the tax system, the loos of that revenue will hurt Brookhaven, but that was never considered. Then what? Well the town will still have its budget to meet, so where will they get the money that is not collected? Property Taxes from home owners that are trying to get rid of the rentals.

What about all the local shops around town. A majority of their customers have some type of association with the school, and many of them are living off campus. So lets think this all the way through before the thought of a few cut deep into everyone's pocket.

I am all for QoL, and side with you on every account when it comes to a landlord that clearly violates the law and shows lack of respect or concern for the neighbors. But lets not cut the throats of the many like myself who have followed every town regulation, improved the property value of the house, and the neighborhood, with the improvements that I have made, and I make sure that the tenants I rent to have been responsible over the last 8 years.

Now with the new regulations, I will have to either rent it illegally to make ends meet, or sell the house.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:21 AM

483 posts, read 670,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Neighbors Protest "Boarding Houses" for College Students | NBC New York

Nice of them to protest during Spring Break.

Perhaps if 3VSD spending was in check from the top down, the working class (Levitts, UH, Critterville) woulndnt be forced to rent their garages to swing the taxes on their crappy run down slab homes before selling. Gotta love the free market.

In related news, 5 Towns residents are outraged to discover Airplanes flying overhead.
The POUNDING.

Crooks

I think when you are an absentee landlord using your home as a boarding house you are not doing it to "save on taxes" you are doing it to make a killing, and you can pretty much be described as a slumlord.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:20 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated with Brookhave View Post
What everyone fails to understand is that the house rentals are a product of the university not being able to house all the students that it needs to. Also the landlord owner pays just as much property tax as a resident home owner, but the landlords rights are being ignored.

Why is the university not involved with the off campus rental situation. Many schools around the country are actively involved with the town in issuing "Authorized Off Campus Housing". Getting rid of the slumlord owners is then controlled by not only the town, but now the state as well.

Stonybrook has been a college town for a very long time. That will not change. The residences need to understand that the changes that Brookhaven has implemented will only create more illegal housing. The landlord owners have do provide income to the town, they also have mortgages to pay, and if you limit the amount that can rent, then the landlord owners will have no choice but to rent to more than the legal number of people. The alternative will be empty houses, that don't pay into the tax system, the loos of that revenue will hurt Brookhaven, but that was never considered. Then what? Well the town will still have its budget to meet, so where will they get the money that is not collected? Property Taxes from home owners that are trying to get rid of the rentals.

What about all the local shops around town. A majority of their customers have some type of association with the school, and many of them are living off campus. So lets think this all the way through before the thought of a few cut deep into everyone's pocket.

I am all for QoL, and side with you on every account when it comes to a landlord that clearly violates the law and shows lack of respect or concern for the neighbors. But lets not cut the throats of the many like myself who have followed every town regulation, improved the property value of the house, and the neighborhood, with the improvements that I have made, and I make sure that the tenants I rent to have been responsible over the last 8 years.

Now with the new regulations, I will have to either rent it illegally to make ends meet, or sell the house.
Sorry, but you sound like one of the slumlords in my neighborhood. We are not going after the homeowner who rents a room, or the garage to students. Thats still VERY legal. So im assuming you are one that rents out multiple rooms??? Heres a tip...sell it and do us a favor.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:37 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
I think when you are an absentee landlord using your home as a boarding house you are not doing it to "save on taxes" you are doing it to make a killing, and you can pretty much be described as a slumlord.
Exactly -- it's all about the absentee landlord's bottom line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated with Brookhave View Post

The 'improvements' they make which 'add' to our property value are nil. Paved over front lawns look great in Queens, not in a neighborhood where one lawn rolls into the next. Nothing like looking at a house which has bed sheets or flags for curtains, a gutter, shutter, wires, or siding (any combo of those) hanging askew, pealing paint, garbage bags at the street which have been ripped open by raccoons, weeks going on months worth of bagged circulars sitting in the mouth of the driveway. Nevermind the overgrown lawn, unraked leaves, unclipped or dying shrubs. Maybe that's an improvement in some rundown corner of NYC, but not in the Three Village community.

The regulations are still very much the same, except for the fact that now, no more than 4 unrelated people can live in a rental and rental registration renewals will be every 15 months. Guess what? Some of the rather ramshackle homes have been cleaned up, or are undergoing the things necessary to make them safe for tenants and bring them into compliance. Which slum err, landlord are you?

If absentee landlords had spent a few dollars on maintenance and kept their yards looking presentable, this never would have come to this point.

As for cutting deep into YOUR pocket, cry me a river. Absentee landlods come in, scoop up a house, install door locks on bedrooms, carve other living spaces into bedrooms, create illegal basement apartments, do not vet their tenants (meth lab thanks to an absentee landlord), and devalue our homes with their 'investment.' There is absolutely NOOOO thought given as to how their inaction and their tenants actions will impact those who live in the surrounding homes.

Do us all a favor: sell and cut your losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island