Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,178,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Princeton is a college town -- both university and community grew with one another. Stony Brook had a good 200+ years of growth before the small teachers college moved to the land Ward Melville donated. The school started on a finite amount of land.

One thing you should remember -- having lived in the area -- is that many of the people who live here work at the university or the hospital in some fashion. Seeing as they are purchasing homes here, settling down and raising families in the shadow of their workplace, why would they welcome a student ghetto where they live?

BS card thrown. It's been a College town for many years.
The Levitts were built with SUSB.

As for the workforce maybe they're leaving to raise their kids in St James or Mt Sinai/Miller Place and such?

I don't know what the answer is. Maybe the difference is that they're more absentee now then in my day. I stand by my statesment on the Taxes and the open market.It saddens me that the old neighborhood is being slummed out, but I'm not at all surprised. Maybe USB should buy up UH/M along SB road and convert it to off campus housing?

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-19-2013 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:29 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

As for the workforce maybe they're leaving to raise their kids in St James or Mt Sinai/Miller Place and such?

Crooks
Or maybe rocky point??? LOL. People act as if the alphabet section is a s hole. Some of the houses are a bit run down due to original owners, who are on the older side, cant afford to update.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:48 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
Quote:

I don't know what the answer is. Maybe the difference is that they're more absentee now then in my day. I stand by my statesment on the Taxes and the open market.It saddens me that the old neighborhood is being slummed out, but I'm not at all surprised. Maybe USB should buy up UH/M along SB road and convert it to off campus housing?

Crooks
Greedy absentee landlords may not be related to a tax issue or a race issue (not everything is).

Unrelated, but has anyone else noticed SBUs reputation seems to be recently growing by leaps and bounds in comparison to the other SUNYs and in comparison to other public and private universities? That might result in more students from beyond commuting distance enrolling at SBU and looking for nearby housing. Or it might not.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Or maybe rocky point??? LOL. People act as if the alphabet section is a s hole. Some of the houses are a bit run down due to original owners, who are on the older side, cant afford to update.
Really, deflecting already lol.
We all know RP/SB has its fair share of nonsense with absentee slumlording and yes, college/bnl housing too.

My point( and i think a fair one)is that it may be a bit dumb for folks living on the outskirts of a University to be both surprised and complaining about what comes with it ( good and bad). No one is saying its a S Hole. I think some of the Strathmores aged very well. We're really just talking about the fringe of the College.

I wish you well in your fight but I assure you there's an economic reason folks are renting them out. I believe its the SD burden killing the working class there and ultimately forcing them out.Its been happening for years. As you know SUNY does not pitch in and historically 3VSD tends to spend like everyone lives in Old Field.

Good luck,

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-20-2013 at 05:23 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Greedy absentee landlords may not be related to a tax issue or a race issue (not everything is).

Unrelated, but has anyone else noticed SBUs reputation seems to be recently growing by leaps and bounds in comparison to the other SUNYs and in comparison to other public and private universities? That might result in more students from beyond commuting distance enrolling at SBU and looking for nearby housing. Or it might not.
Taxes affect affordability. Particularly in the entry stock around SBU.

Let me clarify a bit on race, the coolest thing about 3V for me has historically been its diversity.

I just don't think the locals are happy with Queens buying up 3V on the cheap. More of a xenophobic thing than a race thing. Like I said, I was kinda kidding.

I don't think the 3Vs will win as a poor victim of SBU, the broader argument around absentee landlords and a lack of affordable rental options in Brookhaven is more than sound, and one which I agree with.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-20-2013 at 06:18 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
I believe its the SD burden killing the working class there and ultimately forcing them out.Its been happening for years. As you know SUNY does not pitch in and historically 3VSD tends to spend like everyone lives in Old Field.

Good luck,

Crooks
I get what you are saying now - people are basically unloading these houses due to the tax burden and the takers are future slumlords. Well, it is unfortunate that no one is stepping in to put the kibosh on that, but like you said if someone is fleeing high taxes they aren't really gonna worry about what their buyer's plan is.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,800 times
Quote:
Really, deflecting already lol.
We all know RP/SB has its fair share of nonsense with absentee slumlording and yes, college/bnl housing too.

My point( and i think a fair one)is that it may be a bit dumb for folks living on the outskirts of a University to be both surprised and complaining about what comes with it ( good and bad). No one is saying its a S Hole. I think some of the Strathmores aged very well. We're really just talking about the fringe of the College.

I wish you well in your fight but I assure you there's an economic reason folks are renting them out. I believe its the SD burden killing the working class there and ultimately forcing them out.Its been happening for years. As you know SUNY does not pitch in and historically 3VSD tends to spend like everyone lives in Old Field.

Good luck,

Crooks
Agree about the tax burden...and yea, the idiots voting yes to all the increases act like they are from old field. I moved to alphabet section because I didn't want to live with the "snobs" north of 25. I'm a blue collar guy, along with most of my neighbors...and we love it here. Rentals are fine with us, as long as its legit, legal, and safe.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Agree about the tax burden...and yea, the idiots voting yes to all the increases act like they are from old field. I moved to alphabet section because I didn't want to live with the "snobs" north of 25. I'm a blue collar guy, along with most of my neighbors...and we love it here. Rentals are fine with us, as long as its legit, legal, and safe.
You're on the right side of the tracks my friend.

Keep a mindful eye.

Crooks

Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,997,100 times
Quote:
"Stony Brook homeowners are protesting the houses, arguing they threaten the character of their community."

...and when I say "they" I really mean Asians.

Ridiculous.

Crooks

lol character no community has any character on lone island there all the same!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM

322 posts, read 938,031 times
Not all of these so called boarding homes start out unsightly unless you count the 5-7 cars in the driveway and on the street and/or lawn. College kids are just that, kids: kids who are no longer forced to clean their room, do their laundry, or go to bed at a reasonable time and explore that freedom to its fullest.
The landlords may require them to keep up certain maintenance such as garbage removal and housekeeping, but overall the renters are just going to trash every room in the house save their specific room. Any monetary fines or summonses imposed on the landlord gets passed on to the renters. The renters, if they are getting financial assistance for room and board, don't care about that because it's not their money. And ultimately if the landlord decides to kick them out, the renters don't care because they will just find another place to squat, the landlord doesn't care because he will find new renters within a month, and the cycle starts itself all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island