Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times

Advertisements

If one of those houses has a fire or a wall collapses because of some illegal renovation or the overcrowded conditions, students get hurt, parents sue . . the town has to cover itself.

When a flophouse is rented to illegal immigrants, they are not going to sue their landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Neighbors Protest "Boarding Houses" for College Students | NBC New York

Nice of them to protest during Spring Break.

Perhaps if 3VSD spending was in check from the top down, the working class (Levitts, UH, Critterville) woulndnt be forced to rent their garages to swing the taxes on their crappy run down slab homes before selling. Gotta love the free market.

In related news, 5 Towns residents are outraged to discover Airplanes flying overhead.
The POUNDING.

Crooks

This is more about the absentee landlords creating rooming houses than it is about someone renting a single room in their home. If I recall correctly, you were the person who had commented a while back about how run down the M section was looking. With the housing market down, with the Steve Fiore-Rosenfeld proposing a law (which was passed) a few years back increasing the number of non-related people in a house from 6 to 8, rooming houses have increased significantly. The alphabet sections are getting the lion's share, as is University Heights, given their proximity.

If has less to do with school taxes and everything to do with non resident absentee landlords making a buck while not maintaining their homes. If the landlords maintained their homes and rented 3 bedroom houses to 3 students, this never would have come about. If the university would step in when residents have problems with OCH students, it would be a great help. If landlords were accessible and responsive, it would help.

I'm on a narrow side street and we have a problem with SBU students using it as a cut through to race to class. It is a fairly recent (occurring in the last year) and came about when a house around the block was bought by a person to use as a student rental. I've had two near misses in front of my house as I was bringing in the garbage can. The students pitch garbage out their windows, too, blare their horns if someone is coming in the other direction. Saturday nights the noise travels up the hill until all hours.

Timing had nothing to do with Spring Break -- it was a matter of acting quickly before the semester ended.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
"Stony Brook homeowners are protesting the houses, arguing they threaten the character of their community."

...and when I say "they" I really mean Asians.

Ridiculous.

Crooks
Four whole posts before the race card was tossed!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Watch the video.
I'm kidding with the Asian thing...sort of.

Consider my earlier point on SD taxes.

All I'm saying is if you don't like College kids don't move to a College town.
Wouldnt the "Character of the community" be a College town or am I missing something?

Crooks
Princeton is a college town -- both university and community grew with one another. Stony Brook had a good 200+ years of growth before the small teachers college moved to the land Ward Melville donated. The school started on a finite amount of land.

One thing you should remember -- having lived in the area -- is that many of the people who live here work at the university or the hospital in some fashion. Seeing as they are purchasing homes here, settling down and raising families in the shadow of their workplace, why would they welcome a student ghetto where they live?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Geesh.....what took them so long? It was going on decades ago in SB and Setauket. Friends rented a shabby house on Park Street. To code? Not a chance.....

Why is Brookhaven so slow? We've virtually eliminated the issue of student housing in RI with inspections and registrations. There are no fines -not in compliance.... the c/o is pulled.... signs slapped on the property and it's boarded up. These are single family homes in Washington County where kids attend URI. Many are rented for only the school term, then are summer homes June 1 through the end of Aug

As far as properties in Providence.. that's another story as most were originally built at multi-family properties in the first place. They're ignored.........but are they to code? Not a chance in hell.
This is what should be happening. The town has a hands off approach. It's easier to harass a widow whose shed is a little too close to the property line than upset an absentee landlord who lives somewhere in Queens.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
What a POS that guy is.

Don't forget to add 150 Christian Ave to the list...years back some moron bought a small house, blew it up into something around 4000 Sq ft and couldn't sell it. He chopped it into small apartments and made it into a rental. Drive by at 6 AM and there are upwards of 18-20 cars out front. Loud parties, trash in the street. It's a nightmare.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
As a former Stony Brook alum, do you know how long this has been going on for? 20 year atleast! lol .....I went to some very crazy parties at the very houses around the campus you are talking about! Good times haha.....

A lot of the times it is much cheaper for 4-5 friends or students to rent out a house around the campus than it is to pay the exhorbitant room and board fees of the University.
I'm an alumna and this was happening 30 years ago on a much smaller scale with fewer absentee landlords.

It's not the length of time which this has been going on, it's the growing number which are owned by absentee landlords, which do not have permits, which are not maintained, which are rundown looking, which are chopped up inside creating unsafe spaces.

Funny thing -- my house was once a rental. Few years back a father came by to pick up his child after an afternoon playing here. He told me about some of the parties he attended here. It would explain the bottles that are still surfacing after a heavy rain storm.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
People are complaining about college students renting out a private residence to live in while they attend university? Oh the horror!

If you're going to complain about illegal housing, I would think the first priority would be to go after the houses cut up into egg cartons inside, housing dozens of illegal aliens.

College students? Really?
The college rentals are very similar -- many are carved up into smaller units, lack appropriate egress. What makes an absentee landlord of one any better than the absentee landlord of the other?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
This is more about the absentee landlords creating rooming houses than it is about someone renting a single room in their home. If I recall correctly, you were the person who had commented a while back about how run down the M section was looking. With the housing market down, with the Steve Fiore-Rosenfeld proposing a law (which was passed) a few years back increasing the number of non-related people in a house from 6 to 8, rooming houses have increased significantly. The alphabet sections are getting the lion's share, as is University Heights, given their proximity.

If has less to do with school taxes and everything to do with non resident absentee landlords making a buck while not maintaining their homes. If the landlords maintained their homes and rented 3 bedroom houses to 3 students, this never would have come about. If the university would step in when residents have problems with OCH students, it would be a great help. If landlords were accessible and responsive, it would help.

I'm on a narrow side street and we have a problem with SBU students using it as a cut through to race to class. It is a fairly recent (occurring in the last year) and came about when a house around the block was bought by a person to use as a student rental. I've had two near misses in front of my house as I was bringing in the garbage can. The students pitch garbage out their windows, too, blare their horns if someone is coming in the other direction. Saturday nights the noise travels up the hill until all hours.

Timing had nothing to do with Spring Break -- it was a matter of acting quickly before the semester ended.

M section began to slide years ago OBH.

All I'm suggesting is that when we lived there, we accepted we were living in the shadow of USB( being a College town and all).

There were always rentals in Strathmore and UH.You know that

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-19-2013 at 09:26 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Four whole posts before the race card was tossed!
I said I was kind of kidding but I also kinda wasn't.

You know the story.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island