Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 03:54 PM

886 posts, read 2,647,898 times

Advertisements

In all seriousness, in 2013 what comes in the mail that's so important? With online payments, banking and direct depositing nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 04:46 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I have exactly the same issue with my mailman. The previous mailmen always delivered by 3 p.m., but my current mailman usually delivers 5 or later. I think in his case he socializes on the route as I have seen him go into people's houses as well as stopping to chat. That's fine but if it means I get my mail after business hours, his socializing interferes with me getting mail on a timely basis. It's aggravating to get a bill with an error and be unable to call about it because the mailman delivered the mail on a Friday afternoon at 6 p.m.
Then sign up to receive your bills electronically and have them immediately, besides you can save some trees..

Old 10-26-2013, 06:32 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
In all seriousness, in 2013 what comes in the mail that's so important? With online payments, banking and direct depositing nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Then sign up to receive your bills electronically and have them immediately, besides you can save some trees..
This is my line of thinking too. I know some people have concerns about financials and the internet, but I like that I can handle discrepancies and issues as soon as they arise, instead of waiting 2-3 days for them to snail mail it to me. The other problem is that my mailman is notorious for mis-delivering mail, which is all sorts of annoying.

Like I said, I'd rather handle everything online. In fact, it's very rare that urgent things come in the mail for me these days.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:40 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
If you only pick up your mail once or twice a week, why would you even care what time it arrives? Seems like a waste of money to me in that situation. I think there's got to be a reason you don't want people knowing your address.

My Mother has had a post office box for over 50 years because her mail was getting stolen and she had a number of credit cards opened in her name when she was in her 20's that she did not request.
Since she got the PO Box her mail has never been stolen and no credit cards or anything else opened or purchased in her name that she did not initiate.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:09 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,730,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
If you only pick up your mail once or twice a week, why would you even care what time it arrives? Seems like a waste of money to me in that situation. I think there's got to be a reason you don't want people knowing your address.

..... and, yet again, the entire point of the post flew right over your head.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post

Exactly!!! I was telling a woman I used to work with that I've had a PO box all these years and it's just so convenient. She was aghast that I don't pick up my mail daily. I asked her what in the world is she receiving in her mail that is just SOOOOO important that you "need to see your mail everyday"??? She thought about it and then agreed with me.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:41 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
And some people are predictable in complaining about a topic rather than ignoring it if they have nothing to contribute.
And some people are predictable in complaining about those complaining about a topic rather than ignoring it if they have nothing to contribute.

BOOM.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:18 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
I love getting mail. Sometimes there are postcards from traveling friends or greeting cards from people in other
states . I subscribe to several weekly magazines & I even enjoy some of the catalogs that I receive.

Years ago, Charlie our mailman in Setauket used to leave toy cars and trucks for my little boy in our mailbox.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 10-27-2013 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-27-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Not to mention, some companies will give you a "bonus" for signing up for electronic payments. My bank lowered my monthly fee for signing up. My credit card companies also gave some kind of bonus (I think they waived the interest for a month or something)

Old 10-27-2013, 09:56 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Before moving from LI my carrier explained the following.

In efforts to become more cost effective they are not replacing the letter carriers that retire with full time people. Just part time so less dollars spent in benefits. When the route was done by one person he split his am and pm and then delivered. Now those am and pm routes are being further divided by part timers. My carrier could do the route blindfolded but not the part timers. They are not familiar with letter slot locations, nice dogs vs. nasty dogs, etc. So whenever I had a sub I knew James was not on duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island