Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:06 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I love getting mail. Often there are postcards from traveling friends or greeting cards from people in other
states . I subscribe to several weekly magazines & I even enjoy some of the catalogs that I receive.
I guess a lot depends on your age or generation... I receive e-cards, evites,e-post cards,e-wedding (cheesy), magazine,bills,banking,newspapers all online. Many people have skype and facetime me from all over the world, sure beats a paper card any day! I Love seeing live shots from other countries Emailing a video while someone is away is better then waiting a week or two getting a post card, well at least to me it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 10:09 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
The post office by us eliminated one route carrier and one counter person. The carriers are getting OT totaling about 15 hrs a week and the remaining counter people are averaging 2 to 3 a day combined. Yes....the US Govt doing it's best at saving money.
I guess you don't understand how the post office is funded and just spew the typical govt rhetoric.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:02 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,973 times
My mailbox happens to be one of the PO's check points - the mailman has to scan it to be able to report the time he's delivering at my house. Supposedly this keeps the delivery on time. I would imagine all the routes on LI have these check points.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:15 PM

93 posts, read 139,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Christ, you people will complain about ANYTHING.
It probably has something to do with your location; I would think that they start in a certain location, follow a certain pattern to head back towards the post office at the end of the day; call the post office again and see if you can arrange to pick up you mail.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:54 PM

8,697 posts, read 11,087,873 times
physical mail is almost obsolete. 80% are junk mail

Old 10-27-2013, 02:27 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
You can eliminate this problem by getting a PO Box. I have one at my local post office and it's great. I've had it for the entire time I've lived out here. My mail is in the box no later than 11am. If I don't feel like picking up my mail on a particular day, I know it's safe.

I usually pick up my mail twice a week, sometimes only once, sometimes not until the following week. I don't see a reason for any more than that. If there's an error on a bill, big deal. I'll call when I can call and take care of it; it's not something so urgent that I would have to call immediately. If there is anything that is absolutely urgent or an emergency, it's not going to be in the mail: that's what telephones, faxes, and emails are for.
no kids in school eh?

Old 10-27-2013, 03:42 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
no kids in school eh?
I get all my son's school info via their web portal. Report cards, progress reports, teacher notes, etc.... I even can see if he was like for a class (he was late for art once this year).

Ask your kid's school. It is normally run district wide not by each school.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:02 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
We receive our mail between 5:30P.M. and 6:30 P.M. every day.

I called the post office and they said the carriers leave the Post Office by 9:00 every morning.

Does it really take 8.5 - 9.5 hours to deliver the mail?

And no, his name is not Newman....
Really?
Maybe He/She makes house calls.
Get over it

Old 10-27-2013, 04:10 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
We receive our mail between 5:30P.M. and 6:30 P.M. every day.

I called the post office and they said the carriers leave the Post Office by 9:00 every morning.

Does it really take 8.5 - 9.5 hours to deliver the mail?

And no, his name is not Newman....
Interesting ... here's some real life stories ...

I found out from a neighbor that's retired and hangs around the OTB a lot that the FedEx guy who has our route is a horseplayer and hangs out there too a lot ... so I bet a lot of people don't get their FedEx's as fast as they should on a daily basis.

One of my father's friends didn't like being on the end of the route and getting his mail at 5 pm, so he bribed the mailman with a free lunch if the mailman would bring the mail to his house at 12:30 pm everyday. It worked! Boy these retired people have nothing better to do, right, than cook for the mailman in exchange for earlier mail delivery?

Old 10-27-2013, 04:15 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
If you only pick up your mail once or twice a week, why would you even care what time it arrives? Seems like a waste of money to me in that situation. I think there's got to be a reason you don't want people knowing your address.
You are suspicious, aren't you?

PO boxes are good too if you get USPS packages and are at work all day. Then you know they are safe, not sitting on the stoop, and you can pick them up at the window on Saturday. (Just don't use your PO box if you are getting a UPS delivery as they don't deliver to the post office.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island