Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 04:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
In all seriousness, in 2013 what comes in the mail that's so important? With online payments, banking and direct depositing nothing.
Birthday cards from grandma!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 05:13 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
I get all my son's school info via their web portal. Report cards, progress reports, teacher notes, etc.... I even can see if he was like for a class (he was late for art once this year).

Ask your kid's school. It is normally run district wide not by each school.
Same here, all the initial sign-up stuff came via mail and you never know what else could.

What else comes in the mail that's so important? That's like asking why people write checks anymore. Lots of one-off situations throughout the year. Passport, registration (ie. STAR, DMV), town-related documents/permits, medical/insurance letters, etc.

Once or twice a week for mail-pickup is stretching it imo.

Last edited by ovi8; 10-27-2013 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 05:54 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
We receive our mail between 5:30P.M. and 6:30 P.M. every day.

I called the post office and they said the carriers leave the Post Office by 9:00 every morning.

Does it really take 8.5 - 9.5 hours to deliver the mail?

And no, his name is not Newman....
Highly unlikely that they leave for the street around 9am daily. Secondly, do you have the same carrier everyday? If so, you are either at the end of the route or the carrier is getting pieces of other routes each day and that stalls the time they get to you.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:01 PM

414 posts, read 911,774 times
I once had (jokingly) complained to a neighbor that worked for the PO that our mail came so late in the afternoon. He suggested that I leave it in the mailbox one afternoon and get the mail early the next morning...continue with that and it would seem like I got early delivery! LOL

Old 10-27-2013, 06:11 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
no kids in school eh?

Actually, I do have a child in school. Anything that is of the utmost importance, they call. I'm constantly getting robocalls from the school about the parent portal or parent/teacher meetings or whatever else. The report cards and progress reports are now on the school's parent portal and are no longer being mailed.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Same here, all the initial sign-up stuff came via mail and you never know what else could.

What else comes in the mail that's so important? That's like asking why people write checks anymore. Lots of one-off situations throughout the year. Passport, registration (ie. STAR, DMV), town-related documents/permits, medical/insurance letters, etc.

Once or twice a week for mail-pickup is stretching it imo.

Not really. I go to the post office, pull out my mail, sort the junk mail out & toss it right there at the post office and bring home whatever I need to bring home.

Honesly, take ALL your mail this week and just put it in a basket or something. DON'T LOOK AT ANY OF IT!!!! Do this Monday through Saturday. On Saturday afternoon (or Sunday morning), go through your mail. Make one pile of junk mail, one of unimportant mail, one of bills, and one of highly important mail.

Let me know the results!

Old 10-28-2013, 04:57 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
anyone who worries about the time of delivery clearly has no job.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,089,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
anyone who worries about the time of delivery clearly has no job.
right, just like anyone who has thousands of posts on city data clearly has no job either.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:41 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
right, just like anyone who has thousands of posts on city data clearly has no job either.
or is self employed and can do anything they want.

Try it sometime.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:17 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
What else comes in the mail?

Driver's license
Credit Card, new and renewal
Bank signature cards from online banks or if you want to add someone who cannot go to the branch in person
Jury Duty notices
NY Public Library card if you apply online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island