Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:45 AM

10 posts, read 18,951 times

Advertisements

Meh...no harm, no foul.....Not a concept most Americans are familiar with. We're conditioned to believe in pre-emptive laws rather than tort/criminal remedy in spite of evidence to the contrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 10:08 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,000 times
As someone who once almost had a head-on collision because of a driver on his phone, I have no sympathy for you. You broke the law. However, I will say that traffic courts are stacked against individuals and they are great revenue-producers for local governments.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:35 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,623 times
You need to come to an understanding of rules, no matter where they come from or no matter which bureau makes them .

A Bluetooth would have been about a third of the price ticket.
In a way, it sounds like a homicide detective, hearing from the proven accused, "but I only shot one bullet"

Old 11-17-2013, 04:06 PM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
why don't people use the speakerphone button? I know it's not hands-free but at least it's not obvious you're talking on the phone.
I put it on speaker and place the phone between my boobs. Hands free!

Old 11-17-2013, 05:48 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
So they're pretty much accepting a bribe to not put points on your license.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:48 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,360,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
why don't people use the speakerphone button? I know it's not hands-free but at least it's not obvious you're talking on the phone.
I was on speakerphone. It wasn't on my ear. It is still considered being on the phone.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:49 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
outrageous ticket prices are as outrageous as those camera tickets. Its all about the BUCKS.....REVENUE.

With that being said, police should aggressively give MORE tickets in regards to cell phone taking or texting. I had a few close calls with these drivers while yapping or texting.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Tell your wife to stop breaking your balls. Exception: Unless you were indeed in the timeframe where she was going to HAVE TO call her job and say she was going to be late, then it's your fault. Otherwise, if she was not at the timeframe where she had to know where you were because at that exact moment she had to call the job and say she was going to be late because of you, she is a freakin' pushy shrew and she was the one who cost you the $450 (especially since I also bet if you did not pick up the phone at her command you would have never heard the end of it (WHINE! Why didn't you pick up!) and I suppose that is why you picked it up while driving).

PS: This message is written by a woman and I never harass my husband stalking his whereabouts and timing him on his way home by calling to demand "status" on the cellphone.
What a moronic thing to say. I don't have to answer her call. She almost never calls me. She was calling to make sure I was on time so she could go to work. That is what I wrote in my first post. I had been a bit late at times and she wanted to know if I was going to be on time so she could call to let her job know she may be late. We had a 2 and 4 year old at the time. How do I know it wasn't an emergency? She had every right to call. I didn't have to answer. I just thought I should. For. Woman, you sound like a winner. You are so wonderful and other women "harass" their husbands. I guess you never, ever called your husband on the cell before in your life. Read your post again and look how foolish you look you are just a troll looking to argue. Give your husband my condolences.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM

Once again, I was on the phone and I deserve the ticket. I am not arguing that. What would be fair is that I pay the $180 original fine even after they knock it down to a $75 parking ticket for having a clean license for 20 years. The criminal part is when they charge $450 for that $75 parking ticket just to avoid the points. If I paid the ticket, they would have $180. They could have taken the same $180 for a parking ticket. They lose nothing from the original fine. It is as if they are extorting the additional $270 just so that I don't get away with not getting any points. And like I said, others were let go without any fine for first time cell phone tickets. I heard them. They were as guilty as me. They walk away Scott free and I get heavily fined. I was as nice and courteous as you could be in the courtroom. I didn't question anything. I just thanked them and paid. But I felt completely ripped off. It was legalized extortion. That is the only way I could describe it.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:29 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,808,045 times
take a 6 hour online defensive driving course. it will save u the points for the next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island