Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 07:15 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times

Advertisements

Not anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 07:25 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,414,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Do you really, really think that the greater New York CIty metro area is unique in knowing how to prepare pizza and/or bagels?
Yes, the pizza and bagels in NC can't compare to those of NY.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:27 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,226,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
The traffic, the rude people, the lack of green space. Can't wait to plow through the Holland Tunnel to get back out. I feel like a rat in a cage here. Don't believe the people that say you will feel homesick once you leave here. Don't feel homesick one bit! In fact, the relatives will have to visit me next year. Just loving my new home with the mountains, the parks, the wide open space, the availability of jobs within a half an hour of my house, and most of all the reasonable property taxes!
While I also can't wait to get back out of here again, I got to say...don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:38 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,416,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ I had pizza today in Farmingdale (Bellagio's) and it looked great but tasted bland. Even in NY/LI you can be picky. My go-to place is found in Hicksville. The difference is access to the "bestest" pizzas and there are multitudes of them here. Good-enough edible is probably what I had today (thumbs down) and you didn't mention where your absolute favorite was. It's probably telling.

Go live in a place like San Diego and tell me you don't miss NY chinese food. It's not that they are lacking, they are lacking the good stuff. It's the same reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Yes, the pizza and bagels in NC can't compare to those of NY.

Well, I guess that I am not an outright connoisseur of foods at-large. More or less, I learn to adapt to what is offered. I don't recall the pizza in Des Moines, IA or Pittsburgh, PA or Minneapolis, MN or rural New Hampshire or wherever to make me turn my nose at it. And, whenever I had bagels anywhere, they served the function of reminding me of bagels like I've had all my life. It never stood out in my mind as radically different.

Sure, even LOCALLY, you will like some pizza places better than others (i.e., some local pizza places in your area of Long Island or New York City will use more cheese and offer a greater variety of toppings and make it overall more succulent . . . and others will just put on the minimal cheese and make it very greasy or offer hardly any toppings except for pepperoni and maybe mushrooms poured straight out of a can). You see, there are even variances LOCALLY between pizza servers. So there will be variances even OUTSIDE OF the greater Downstate New York region. This doesn't mean that other regions of the U.S. have absolutely no clue as to how to make good pizza . . . it will just vary from pizza place to pizza place locally. Italians live all over the U.S. and elsewhere and take their ways and food preparation experiences with them wherever they are, though some of them make an effort to make their food the most well-prepared and others put in less effort. My view is that it is not a function of geography but rather a function of motivation on the part of EACH individual pizza-serving eatery (regardless of their geographic region).

Old 01-03-2015, 11:36 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Well, I guess that I am not an outright connoisseur of foods at-large. More or less, I learn to adapt to what is offered. I don't recall the pizza in Des Moines, IA or Pittsburgh, PA or Minneapolis, MN or rural New Hampshire or wherever to make me turn my nose at it. And, whenever I had bagels anywhere, they served the function of reminding me of bagels like I've had all my life. It never stood out in my mind as radically different.

Sure, even LOCALLY, you will like some pizza places better than others (i.e., some local pizza places in your area of Long Island or New York City will use more cheese and offer a greater variety of toppings and make it overall more succulent . . . and others will just put on the minimal cheese and make it very greasy or offer hardly any toppings except for pepperoni and maybe mushrooms poured straight out of a can). You see, there are even variances LOCALLY between pizza servers. So there will be variances even OUTSIDE OF the greater Downstate New York region. This doesn't mean that other regions of the U.S. have absolutely no clue as to how to make good pizza . . . it will just vary from pizza place to pizza place locally. Italians live all over the U.S. and elsewhere and take their ways and food preparation experiences with them wherever they are, though some of them make an effort to make their food the most well-prepared and others put in less effort. My view is that it is not a function of geography but rather a function of motivation on the part of EACH individual pizza-serving eatery (regardless of their geographic region).
The "idea" of what things "should" taste like comes from either what you are accustomed to or what you have acquired a taste for. As former LI.ers we had our favorite pizza places on LI, true some were better than others to us, BUT, there was never a place that we said never again. Here, we have found only one place out of 11 that comes close and the rest are never again. The same holds true for bagels. There is only one place that all the former NY'ers flock to. I really think it has to do with the water as opposed to any other single element in both cases.

I have had Chicago pizza. It was good but I am not a fan of doughy pizza either Sicilian or Chicago, so my personal preference would be for a thinner crust.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:44 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Ive never understood the point of these kinds of threads. Ok we get it, you moved off Long Island an are happy ... good for you. However, I also know people who moved and they are miserable beyond belief. In the last month alone I have one friend who moved back from Arizona and another from Florida. I have zero friends who moved off of Long Island in the last month.

Long Island isent for everyone ... and some people like myself would pay high taxes in exchange for four seasons instead of one season (Florida) known as very, very, very hot or two seasons (North Carolina) hot and very hot.
I moved from LI to SoFla after a lifetime of work and appreciate that it made me plenty of $$$.

But I value my time way more than $$ now and nothing could make me return.

LI'ers.. don't take the decision to leave this very special, but very demanding, stressfull and unforgiving place too personally; it is unworthy of you.
Just wish us well as I wish you well.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:12 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
UsAll, ever have a real authentic French croissant? Not a Dunkin Donuts croissant, not a supermakret croissant, not a frozen food department croissant, not a croissant from an Italian bakery, or a kosher bakery, or a Polish bakery, but a genuine authentic French crossiant which is usually half the size of what we see in the US. There are classic authentic versions of certain foods and once you have had the real thing, the imitations leave you unfufilled. Currently, there is a macaron craze. There are a couple of bakeries in Manhattan that come close, but still not the genuine article. I bought a few from that bakery on Plandome in Manhasset which has many good pastries, but their macarons were horrible. The only good pizza that I have had outside of NY (excluding Chicago deep-dish which is just not my personal preference) were made by ex-New Yorkers.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:56 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,655 times
I've heard that the reason that NY pizza and bagels are so good and cannot be duplicated elsewhere, is the water used in the dough. The treatment of the water in the NY area must have something to do with it all.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:02 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Some of the best pizza I ever had was in Pensacola Florida, the place was in a half dead strip mall but that didn't matter. I agree with what others have said that pizza is subjective and based on what you were raised on. I knew people in the Navy who though Chef Boy R Dee was authentic...scary

Old 01-04-2015, 07:09 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYPULR View Post
The treatment of the water in the NY area must have something to do with it all.
Well, NYC water and Long Island water come from completely different places, so if that was the case LI bagels and NYC bagels would taste completely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island