Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 07:24 AM

13 posts, read 19,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
How will I suffer in retirement? Since I am saving 10,000 in property taxes, I can plow some of that left over money right into my retirement account. On Long Island I didn't have that option because I was not only scraping by to fund my retirement, but I was being forced to fund the early and lavish retirements of well-connected public sector workers. That train ticket that your employer helps subsidize also always goes up because again you are helping fund the retirements and disability schemes of other people. And with employers there is never a free lunch. That extra subsidy is going to be made up in some other way whether it is greater stress, work load, or time at the office.
Sounds like you made a good choice for YOU. I'm happy for you and Godspeed. But not everyone is scraping by and some people like living on LI and working in NYC and are making great money and maxing out their 401ks and their kids' 529s. Just sayin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 08:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times
Quote:
How will I suffer in retirement? Since I am saving 10,000 in property taxes, I can plow some of that left over money right into my retirement account. On Long Island I didn't have that option because I was not only scraping by to fund my retirement, but I was being forced to fund the early and lavish retirements of well-connected public sector workers. That train ticket that your employer helps subsidize also always goes up because again you are helping fund the retirements and disability schemes of other people. And with employers there is never a free lunch. That extra subsidy is going to be made up in some other way whether it is greater stress, work load, or time at the office.
I did not buy a lavish trade up house and not only grieve my own taxes, but go to mediation if I dont win and if dont win in mediation go to SCAR and never hire anyone. It is a pain but I have low taxes.My friends who live in PA have told me the assessment process is not broken and low taxes for all. BIG deal. I fill out a bunch of forms each year and get the same thing.

The Train is expensive, but then again my cars last forever. In PA I would need to buy gas every week and put a lot of miles on cars.

My biggest NY expense is NY State Taxes. PA has high state taxes too. Florida has no state taxes but wages are low.

PA has around 3% and my rate is around 6.85%. That is the decent savings but I rather just skip God Awful PA during my working years as it is career suicide. Then just buy a place in Florida with no state taxes and live there 7 months a year as my primary residence then get either a pied a tier in Manhattan or beach house in Hamptons and come up here for summer and xmas.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:28 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comix View Post

It all evens out folks. Move where it makes you happy and quit disparaging other people's choices.

^^^^ THIS!! As marigold also pointed out in his post this "Naahh nahhh nahhhh nahhhh nahhhh! Im so brilliant I left Long Island, I'm so much smarter than you" crap is getting really old. Everyone is different, has different situations, incomes, family needs etc. Saving 10k a year in property taxes (which for some people isn't all that much money) so you can move to some rural town in PA, Isn't the key to happiness for everybody. The OP needs to get over himself.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,808,504 times
I've always believed that if someone is truly happy, they don't need to lord it over others. These threads make me question the motivation behind them.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:29 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I've always believed that if someone is truly happy, they don't need to lord it over others. These threads make me question the motivation behind them.
Because there is a lot of misinformation on here. The standard byline from the cheerleaders on this board is that anybody who leaves Long Island will be homesick, pizza deprived, and be miserable living in a klu klux klan southern hick town. I am here to say that hasn't been the case with me. I haven't been homesick one bit and I have been relieved of so much financial pressure by saving close to $10,000 in property taxes per year. There is so much more open space and I do not have to do battle on the roadways every time I leave my driveway.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:34 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,808,504 times
If you're happy with your life, why do you care what anyone else thinks?

Sorry, but I've lived in places I wouldnt want to go back to because they didn't work for me, but I would never go back to the city data boards for those areas and brag about how happy I was to have gotten out of there and how awful it is. It's insulting to those who choose to make that area their home.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Because there is a lot of misinformation on here. The standard byline from the cheerleaders on this board is that anybody who leaves Long Island will be homesick, pizza deprived, and be miserable living in a klu klux klan southern hick town. I am here to say that hasn't been the case with me. I haven't been homesick one bit and I have been relieved of so much financial pressure by saving close to $10,000 in property taxes per year. There is so much more open space and I do not have to do battle on the roadways every time I leave my driveway.
As an ex- pat myself I have to ask why you care? Yes there is tons of incorrect info in this thread - so what? If you're so happy where you are then keep it to yourself or else NYers will start flocking there in droves. Is that really what you want?
There was probably a time when it mattered to me that everyone had their facts straight and were convinced I moved to nirvana. That time has passed for me and I hope it eventually does for you as well.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:00 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times
Also cheaper is not always better. My friend just moved to Silicon Valley from NYC, got one of those VC/Start Up Jobs and they gave him a 400K raise but his rent on his house is 10K a month.

So 120K rent is more than offset by 400K raise, plus no property tax and maintence

Old 01-07-2015, 11:01 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,818 times
Quote:
Nope, it is because you are insecure.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:26 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
I don't see the big deal either way - these threads have existed forever and as shocking as it may be... you're not going to be the one who makes that perfect response at that perfect moment in time to get any of it to stop.

These are anonymous boards littered with misinformation, bias, and just plain not nice people. The LI "regulars" are as mean or caustic as any forum I've read at CD. The faux outrage at people coming back here blasting LI is laughable. There are next to no LI living regulars here worth reading anymore, so what would we read without these types of discussions?

NJ and NY continue to lead in OUTBOUND migrations... 65 and 64 percent. When way more people are leaving a place, the general consensus will surely have a negative slant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island