Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 03:43 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,920 times

Advertisements

U.S. News? Didn't that magazine go bankrupt? Why should people care about what some defunct magazine thinks about high schools? I don't know how they rate high schools, but if the way in which they rate colleges is any indication, I wouldn't put too much stock in what they have to say. Yes, a lot of money gets poured into these schools to make them "exclusive" and the teachers unions and college administrators who buy us news advertisements sure like it that way, but do such schools really serve the best interests of the students and communities that they serve? My school district provides great value. The teachers aren't pampered and they are not layers upon layers of bureaucracy and special administrators. We don't have a superintendent who makes $500,000 per year. Our superintendent teaches twice a week and drives a pick up truck, not a Mercedes. Many students go on to 4 year colleges. Many students of your high school no doubt go on to college, but no doubt a good chunk of them become addicted to heroin. Schools are what students make of them, not the other way around.

Yes, garbage comes twice a week and parks here provide for free entrance and not falling apart. Lower salaries perhaps, but lower costs far make up for it and provide a better quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 03:52 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
My school district provides great value. The teachers aren't pampered and they are not layers upon layers of bureaucracy and special administrators. We don't have a superintendent who makes $500,000 per year. Our superintendent teaches twice a week and drives a pick up truck, not a Mercedes. Many students go on to 4 year colleges. Many students of your high school no doubt go on to college, but no doubt a good chunk of them become addicted to heroin. Schools are what students make of them, not the other way around.
Yeah it's clear you were talking out of your rear when you said they are good. Stats are not everything, but you've got nothing.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:13 PM

13 posts, read 19,800 times
Quote:
What do you get for that extra $10,000 that I don't get here? I actually think I get more here in services. They plow my street quicker, the schools where I am are good, and the state parks have no entrance fees.
It doesn't matter. Ihave to pay the taxes in NY in order to earn my NY salary. It's all relative since I think the higher salary I earn in NY more than covers the higher expenses I incur by living here. This is not true for everyone; you need to consider basic economics aka comparative advantage. And even when it is not fully offset, people may choose to stay for non-economic reasons.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:35 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
U.S. News? Didn't that magazine go bankrupt? Why should people care about what some defunct magazine thinks about high schools? I don't know how they rate high schools, but if the way in which they rate colleges is any indication, I wouldn't put too much stock in what they have to say. Yes, a lot of money gets poured into these schools to make them "exclusive" and the teachers unions and college administrators who buy us news advertisements sure like it that way, but do such schools really serve the best interests of the students and communities that they serve? My school district provides great value. The teachers aren't pampered and they are not layers upon layers of bureaucracy and special administrators. We don't have a superintendent who makes $500,000 per year. Our superintendent teaches twice a week and drives a pick up truck, not a Mercedes. Many students go on to 4 year colleges. Many students of your high school no doubt go on to college, but no doubt a good chunk of them become addicted to heroin. Schools are what students make of them, not the other way around.

Yes, garbage comes twice a week and parks here provide for free entrance and not falling apart. Lower salaries perhaps, but lower costs far make up for it and provide a better quality of life.
Worry about your own heroin problems, pa has plenty:

http://www.timesleader.com/news/loca...-problem-in-Pa.

Report: Pa. must address addiction crisis fueled by $10 heroin | PennLive.com

Old 01-07-2015, 04:50 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yeah, but Long Island is ground zero. It has become so bad that Long Island is now dubbed the heroin highway. All those property taxes aren't doing a good job in keeping you safe.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:25 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Yeah, but Long Island is ground zero. It has become so bad that Long Island is now dubbed the heroin highway. All those property taxes aren't doing a good job in keeping you safe.
You have one of those too:

WVIA: State of Pennsylvania Travels Our Region's Heroin Highway (2008-11-17)

Yeah sure every other kid on LI is addicted to heroin, it's served in high school cafeterias
right next to the sloppy joes. Ground Zero?? Lol Exaggerate much? Get real. PA especially the philly area is chock full of illegal narcotics.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Yinz got heroin problems, meth problems, and rank far lower than NY (#10 while PA is #27) in terms of safety.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:13 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
So why do you keep bouncing back onto the LI forum then if we're that boring? Or is where you ended up that boring that you have to keep reading the LI forum to have something to do?
Quote:
Oh brother! Anyone who takes that seriously is way out there. Look up "star parties." There are gangs of people on here who LIVE to give and receive reps so they can have a lot of stars. Result: a meaningless rating system.
Quote:
What? Now we cannot even defend ourselves? He shouldn't have to if some people would get a hobby and mind their own business, starting with their own state.
I've subscribed to this forum for going on 8 years and, like I said a hundred times, see no reason to remove it. Unlike so many who seem to get butt hurt by anonymous forum posts, I could really care less. I enjoy the debate and zings.

I've never been involved in a "star party", but I'm sure they occur. The ratings are about as useful as the $500 prize which you seem to covet as the end all be all of forum godliness. Either way, as a long time poster on these boards I find that post count vs. rep does reflect someone's worthwhile contributions (especially early on). Those who switch screennames to continue attacks are easy to spot.

Defend all you want... like you always do! lol - Just don't call others out on needing a hobby with your post count.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:50 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,395 times
These threads always get so predictable.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:57 PM

191 posts, read 517,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I did not buy a lavish trade up house and not only grieve my own taxes, but go to mediation if I dont win and if dont win in mediation go to SCAR and never hire anyone. It is a pain but I have low taxes.My friends who live in PA have told me the assessment process is not broken and low taxes for all. BIG deal. I fill out a bunch of forms each year and get the same thing.

The Train is expensive, but then again my cars last forever. In PA I would need to buy gas every week and put a lot of miles on cars.

My biggest NY expense is NY State Taxes. PA has high state taxes too. Florida has no state taxes but wages are low.

PA has around 3% and my rate is around 6.85%. That is the decent savings but I rather just skip God Awful PA during my working years as it is career suicide. Then just buy a place in Florida with no state taxes and live there 7 months a year as my primary residence then get either a pied a tier in Manhattan or beach house in Hamptons and come up here for summer and xmas.

You say you grieve your taxes every year, that's great. But what is SCAR??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island