Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 02:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Kind of a silly and "leading" stat. How much of the migration is due to a specific economic factor and how much is due to a myriad of reasons like aging of the population (ie retiring to warmer climates), expansion of broadband (ie wall st trading is now predominantly NOT done on Wall St), high home equity, development of southern/western cities? How much of that stat is Long Island? Is that stat from Atlas or United Van Lines, those bastions of sound financial data!? Of course the places with the most growth when others were dust bowls would see outbound migration now that there are alternatives. Consistently in the top 10...NJ, NY, CT, IL, MA...ie...civilization. Oh yeah, and it's expensive here. I forgot.

As to the OP. What a crock. Unable to admit his insecure, unprovoked snot post, he conjures up some perceived premise that everyone speaks against expats. There is NO forum as thick with busybody expats with nothing better to do than the LI forum. Dozens of expat posts every single day and most are about how much they pity us who still live here. Some I very much respect and enjoy reading, and STILL I wonder why the heck they are on here so much.
Enter the CD contest, because I think you are due for a prize too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm flattered you remember me "for years", but I have to disagree with your characterization. Maybe that's how you've taken my posts, but I don't consider myself brilliant or you stupid simply for where we live. That seems to be your MO, not mine. I will say your CD reputation vs. post count is well indicative of your posting contributions here.

As for your last question... I've read and posted here consistently since 2007 (long before you began your personal side show of rude remarks under your current screenname) - it's been a subscribed forum since then and I don't see any reason to remove it as it certainly entertains me from time to time.
Oh brother! Anyone who takes that seriously is way out there. Look up "star parties." There are gangs of people on here who LIVE to give and receive reps so they can have a lot of stars. Result: a meaningless rating system.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It was a recent article and a number that stuck in my head... Regardless of reason for leaving (I'm sure economic, climate, and retirement are the big 3), the NE is seeing consistently net outbound migration. "Civilization" (NJ, NY, IL, CT) as you call it has not always been net outbound - not by a long shot. This a recent phenomenon. The jobs are leaving and I see an example like almost every week - i.e. most recently Mercedes is leaving NJ for Atlanta. The definition of civilization is changing whether you want to admit it or not.

It's disingenuous calling out others for taking cheapshots when you do it yourself just as much... just sayin. plus who has "nothing better to do" than to call people out for having nothing better to do? amirite?
What? Now we cannot even defend ourselves? He shouldn't have to if some people would get a hobby and mind their own business, starting with their own state.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Wow! I don't have as much rep or posts as you on an internet forum! You sure put me in my place!!! I think I will go cry myself to sleep now .

Sorry MikeyKid you always seem to magically appear in this forum on threads like this just to bash LI and brag about how good you have it in NC. You do it all the time, and you hardly seem to contribute anything else of worth here except to talk about how awful long island is even though you don't live here anymore and haven't for years. Maybe you should go hang out in the Charlotte forum and discuss how awesome life is over there instead and leave us all to our "misery".
Brilliant idea!

Old 01-07-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
wah wah wah. was someone mean to you once? grow up.
Yeah a couple of someones were. Don't mention "Farmingville," for instance.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I make about 20% less, but my house is cheaper (paid off), and my health/auto/home insurance is significantly less. That along with the $10,000 I am saving in property taxes makes me feel so much better off even though I am making less. I also work less (no weekends), so I am thinking about investing in a little trailer RV to explore all the wonderful parks and National Parks in western Pennsylvania and West Virginia this summer. Why suffer and wait until you are 65 to live, when you can enjoy a little retirement right in your prime years right on the weekend.
No comment on the big profit you made selling your LI home (where people sell their homes for the most profit of anywhere in the country, except CA and HI) as the only reason you have a paid off "townhome?" Be a little grateful at least. And kiss your boss's butt. If he wants you to work weekends you will ... or have no job. Why do you think the Poconos never "took off?" Unless you desire a three-hour one way bus trip to NYC or your biggest ambition in life is to be a convenience store clerk, there's few jobs and no money to be made.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:57 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
I make about 20% less, but my house is cheaper (paid off), and my health/auto/home insurance is significantly less. That along with the $10,000 I am saving in property taxes makes me feel so much better off even though I am making less. I also work less (no weekends), so I am thinking about investing in a little trailer RV to explore all the wonderful parks and National Parks in western Pennsylvania and West Virginia this summer. Why suffer and wait until you are 65 to live, when you can enjoy a little retirement right in your prime years right on the weekend.
I sure see a ton of people at the places we go on weekends. It's unfortunate you had to struggle but maybe that has to do with life choices just as much as anything else. Nobody should claim NY and its high costs are for everybody.

You save on taxes, we know - we regretfully choose to pay them because of what we get in return (other than the houses themselves). Westchester and NJ have it just as bad so it's not just a LI/NY thing. Goods don't cost that much less elsewhere. Food is not a huge burden. The $35k car here is still at least $33k there. There's a reason places are less populated. It's not because they are some big secret. If you are fine with it, good for you. Not sure why you're trying to make us feel jealous of Pittsburgh.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-07-2015 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 03:04 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
There's a place for everyone...if you set your sights low enough.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:12 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post

You save on taxes, we know - we regretfully choose to pay them because of what we get in return
What do you get for that extra $10,000 that I don't get here? I actually think I get more here in services. They plow my street quicker, the schools where I am are good, and the state parks have no entrance fees.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:29 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
What do you get for that extra $10,000 that I don't get here? I actually think I get more here in services. They plow my street quicker, the schools where I am are good, and the state parks have no entrance fees.
Show me where your school is on this list (where most of our taxes go):
Best High Schools Rankings | Top High Schools | US News

PA is pretty poor on this chart especially given it's larger population:
//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ed-schools.jpg

Schools that are not that great do not pay over $10k in taxes here. What are your taxes exactly? You say "extra $10k" which means if it's $4k there, you're targeting our $14k tax areas? That's not the majority.

Services - do you get twice a week garbage pickup, same week pot-hole repair, etc.? I do. Towns are all different, but so are the taxes.

Besides, salaries are higher to make up for the higher taxes, right? And you're missing the bigger picture. How about a convenience charge of being here next to everything and having everything?

Last edited by ovi8; 01-07-2015 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island