Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 11:47 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Wow that sounds great till you realize that saving a few grand in property taxes each year down South only sounds good till you realize you have to take a 200K a year paycut
I would tend to believe that those making over $200K a year are not the ones contemplating a move down south in order to save a few grand in property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:10 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I don't see the big deal either way - these threads have existed forever and as shocking as it may be... you're not going to be the one who makes that perfect response at that perfect moment in time to get any of it to stop.

These are anonymous boards littered with misinformation, bias, and just plain not nice people. The LI "regulars" are as mean or caustic as any forum I've read at CD. The faux outrage at people coming back here blasting LI is laughable. There are next to no LI living regulars here worth reading anymore, so what would we read without these types of discussions?

NJ and NY continue to lead in OUTBOUND migrations... 65 and 64 percent. When way more people are leaving a place, the general consensus will surely have a negative slant.

Of course you don't see the big deal, you've been a ex-pat long island basher for years telling everyone how brilliant you were for moving to NC and how stupid we all are for staying. And if there is nothing worth reading here then why do you visit the forum at all???

Old 01-07-2015, 12:35 PM

413 posts, read 599,240 times
Quote:
I don't see the big deal either way - these threads have existed forever and as shocking as it may be... you're not going to be the one who makes that perfect response at that perfect moment in time to get any of it to stop.

These are anonymous boards littered with misinformation, bias, and just plain not nice people. The LI "regulars" are as mean or caustic as any forum I've read at CD. The faux outrage at people coming back here blasting LI is laughable. There are next to no LI living regulars here worth reading anymore, so what would we read without these types of discussions?

NJ and NY continue to lead in OUTBOUND migrations... 65 and 64 percent. When way more people are leaving a place, the general consensus will surely have a negative slant.

Kind of a silly and "leading" stat. How much of the migration is due to a specific economic factor and how much is due to a myriad of reasons like aging of the population (ie retiring to warmer climates), expansion of broadband (ie wall st trading is now predominantly NOT done on Wall St), high home equity, development of southern/western cities? How much of that stat is Long Island? Is that stat from Atlas or United Van Lines, those bastions of sound financial data!? Of course the places with the most growth when others were dust bowls would see outbound migration now that there are alternatives. Consistently in the top 10...NJ, NY, CT, IL, MA...ie...civilization. Oh yeah, and it's expensive here. I forgot.

As to the OP. What a crock. Unable to admit his insecure, unprovoked snot post, he conjures up some perceived premise that everyone speaks against expats. There is NO forum as thick with busybody expats with nothing better to do than the LI forum. Dozens of expat posts every single day and most are about how much they pity us who still live here. Some I very much respect and enjoy reading, and STILL I wonder why the heck they are on here so much.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:38 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Of course you don't see the big deal, you've been a ex-pat long island basher for years telling everyone how brilliant you were for moving to NC and how stupid we all are for staying. And if there is nothing worth reading here then why do you visit the forum at all???
I'm flattered you remember me "for years", but I have to disagree with your characterization. Maybe that's how you've taken my posts, but I don't consider myself brilliant or you stupid simply for where we live. That seems to be your MO, not mine. I will say your CD reputation vs. post count is well indicative of your posting contributions here.

As for your last question... I've read and posted here consistently since 2007 (long before you began your personal side show of rude remarks under your current screenname) - it's been a subscribed forum since then and I don't see any reason to remove it as it certainly entertains me from time to time.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:20 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Kind of a silly and "leading" stat. How much of the migration is due to a specific economic factor and how much is due to a myriad of reasons like aging of the population (ie retiring to warmer climates), expansion of broadband (ie wall st trading is now predominantly NOT done on Wall St), high home equity, development of southern/western cities? How much of that stat is Long Island? Is that stat from Atlas or United Van Lines, those bastions of sound financial data!? Of course the places with the most growth when others were dust bowls would see outbound migration now that there are alternatives. Consistently in the top 10...NJ, NY, CT, IL, MA...ie...civilization. Oh yeah, and it's expensive here. I forgot.

As to the OP. What a crock. Unable to admit his insecure, unprovoked snot post, he conjures up some perceived premise that everyone speaks against expats. There is NO forum as thick with busybody expats with nothing better to do than the LI forum. Dozens of expat posts every single day and most are about how much they pity us who still live here. Some I very much respect and enjoy reading, and STILL I wonder why the heck they are on here so much.
It was a recent article and a number that stuck in my head... Regardless of reason for leaving (I'm sure economic, climate, and retirement are the big 3), the NE is seeing consistently net outbound migration. "Civilization" (NJ, NY, IL, CT) as you call it has not always been net outbound - not by a long shot. This a recent phenomenon. The jobs are leaving and I see an example like almost every week - i.e. most recently Mercedes is leaving NJ for Atlanta. The definition of civilization is changing whether you want to admit it or not.

It's disingenuous calling out others for taking cheapshots when you do it yourself just as much... just sayin. plus who has "nothing better to do" than to call people out for having nothing better to do? amirite?

Old 01-07-2015, 01:25 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,416,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The "idea" of what things "should" taste like comes from either what you are accustomed to or what you have acquired a taste for. As former LI.ers we had our favorite pizza places on LI, true some were better than others to us, BUT, there was never a place that we said never again. Here, we have found only one place out of 11 that comes close and the rest are never again. The same holds true for bagels. There is only one place that all the former NY'ers flock to. I really think it has to do with the water as opposed to any other single element in both cases.

I have had Chicago pizza. It was good but I am not a fan of doughy pizza either Sicilian or Chicago, so my personal preference would be for a thinner crust.

You said "I really think it has to do with the water as opposed to any other single element in both cases". Yes, that is plausible (at least in some cases). For instance, many decades ago, I noted that the water in Denver, Colorado (if I recall correctly) and certain other geographic locales has a chlorine-like aftertaste to it . . . and many places that I went around the U.S., people would comment that New York City tap water tastes the best -- and I could tell the difference and agreed. I don't know what it is like all these decades later, by comparison to back then.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:28 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
I'm flattered you remember me "for years", but I have to disagree with your characterization. Maybe that's how you've taken my posts, but I don't consider myself brilliant or you stupid simply for where we live. That seems to be your MO, not mine. I will say your CD reputation vs. post count is well indicative of your posting contributions here.

As for your last question... I've read and posted here consistently since 2007 (long before you began your personal side show of rude remarks under your current screenname) - it's been a subscribed forum since then and I don't see any reason to remove it as it certainly entertains me from time to time.

Wow! I don't have as much rep or posts as you on an internet forum! You sure put me in my place!!! I think I will go cry myself to sleep now .

Sorry MikeyKid you always seem to magically appear in this forum on threads like this just to bash LI and brag about how good you have it in NC. You do it all the time, and you hardly seem to contribute anything else of worth here except to talk about how awful long island is even though you don't live here anymore and haven't for years. Maybe you should go hang out in the Charlotte forum and discuss how awesome life is over there instead and leave us all to our "misery".

Old 01-07-2015, 01:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
The traffic, the rude people, the lack of green space. Can't wait to plow through the Holland Tunnel to get back out. I feel like a rat in a cage here. Don't believe the people that say you will feel homesick once you leave here. Don't feel homesick one bit! In fact, the relatives will have to visit me next year. Just loving my new home with the mountains, the parks, the wide open space, the availability of jobs within a half an hour of my house, and most of all the reasonable property taxes!
We didn't miss you either!

Old 01-07-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Talk about rude people..who's the one posting to a region's forum with insults about their home?
This is the only forum where they get away with it. Now, if I dared post negative threads in the Kentucky, Pennsylvania, etc., anywhere on the forum ... it would be immediately REMOVED and I would end up with some points.

But everyone feels free to kick around Long Island for some stupid reason. Jealous? Sad you moved and now you cannot afford to move back?

Old 01-07-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Most private sector jobs paying that much are located in Manhattan. Commuting into Manhattan everyday from Long Island on the LIRR is HELL! No, thanks! Talk about a grind. Plus, a monthly LIRR pass is a small rent payment in its own right. Higher income taxes, lirr fares, obscene property taxes, LONG commutes all mean tired, frazzled parents with no time on their hands. Give me my beautiful lower cost Pennsylvania town home that is all paid off, which is next to several isolated state parks that I can go skiing or fishing in on the weekends. It's not just the property taxes, it is the whole package that made Long Island feel like being trapped in a rat wheel.
And I bet the only reason your home is "all paid off" is because of the huge profit you made selling your home on LI, a profit the size which happens for homeowners just about nowhere, except places like California or Hawaii. Ingrate! If you were a product of where you live now, you wouldn't have a fully paid for home because you would have had much worse opportunities to make any decent money there. Speaking of that subject, if you are working for a living and not retired, you will be SOL if you ever lose that job you have, so kiss your boss's behind carefully each and every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island