Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2018, 03:07 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Screw the ferries, why is Hempstead not like White Plains?
You'll be able to jump on a ferry from Far Rock to Blue Point, slurping down oysters and chugging Toasted Lagers in no time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 04:03 PM

34,099 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You'll be able to jump on a ferry from Far Rock to Blue Point, slurping down oysters and chugging Toasted Lagers in no time.
Bwahahahaha thanks

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-15-2018, 08:07 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Do you have a list too? One of Suffolk neighborhoods where you would not buy anything within?
Either you’re a kook or you’re trolling. Either way it’s entertaining for this place!

Old 07-15-2018, 08:19 PM

265 posts, read 945,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Better to say where I would NOT buy anywhere within:

1. Mastic
2. Mastic Beach
3. Wyandanch
4. Brentwood
5. Shirley
6. Gordon Heights
7. Central Islip

And before you say I'm making this up, there are MANY threads on this site alone that back up these. And no, they're not gonna be gentrified.
The Mastics and Shirley are honestly not that bad, they are actually leagues better than dumps like Wyandanch and gang hotspots like Central Islip.

Mastic/Mastic beach is definitely dumpy in areas but crime is not that bad. You will not be in immediate danger just walking around or anything like that. The fact that it is a sex offender dumping ground is a concern as well, of course. It's not a desirable area, but it's nowhere near as bad as the other places on your list and you can find some good bargains off of Titmus Drive, I think it's Manorville schools over there as well.

And Shirley is nicer than the Mastics. It's not crime ridden or dangerous in the slightest. It's just very blue collar / working class. You might see some houses that aren't kept up nicely but it's not a bad area.

That said, none of those areas are going to gentrify.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:15 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Either you’re a kook or you’re trolling. Either way it’s entertaining for this place!
So play along then. So far, thanks to pidge1114, the Mastics are the first on my list to gentrify. Maybe Shirley too considering it seems to pretty much be the same area sharing a train station and all.

Where is the restaurant and bar scene going to be? Around Montauk Hwy and William Floyd Pkwy? Or all along Neighborhood Rd? My guess is probably both.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:10 AM

345 posts, read 339,022 times
For real though, I wouldn't sit and long term it out anywhere you think some undesirable area is going to gentrify in 20-25 years. Low income families DO have to live somewhere. But I mean, Mastic is one of the few areas where you can get water view for $300k..

I'd focus on the REAL places that are up and coming. Mattituck, East Moriches... the forks are moving west because prices are going up. Plenty of places on the north fork that are going to sell when some of the old folks pass on, those places are all original 60s-70s homes on big lots in great areas. Pick em up for $6-750, reno, sell for over a mil. Is it hot like nassau? No, but thats alright. The investment in Greenport has already come and gone, that was like 10 years ago you could have picked up something cheap. Same with Montauk, its Hamptons east now. The rest of the Hamptons are (and have been) the way they are for years, so check out the North Fork. Greenport is a few instagram likes and a tv reality series away from becoming the next big thing IMHO...East Marion is beautiful, Shelter Island is right there, and anyone with half a brain and a good investor can open up a brewery or winery and start printing money.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:46 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
People need to stay the F away from the North Fork.
Stop ruining lives over greed.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:51 AM

345 posts, read 339,022 times
I actually think the best investment on the island right now is going to be light commercial around SBU. With the new retail space going up and the train station finally getting a revamp, the old hags keeping the town around the college from developing into what the college needs are finally going to get shut down. Lots of opportunity over there, lots of students with money and nowhere to spend it.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:50 AM

34,099 posts, read 47,309,800 times
https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/mastic-b...0#lil-mediaTab

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-16-2018, 09:57 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I hear Patchogue actually is revitalizing.
Some spots look better, because the problems have been shifted a few streets over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island