Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 05:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
From your link:

Just over half of those at higher risk of developing a serious illness are ages 65 and older (55.2% or 51.1 million adults); however, the remaining 41.4 million adults ages 18-64 are at risk due to an underlying medical condition.

41.4 million adults below the age of 65 is nothing to just dismiss out of hand.

I agree that places should be ready to start opening up. Not sure the NYC metro area which is the epicenter of covid for the world is quite ready yet. Believe me, I wish it were as I am as tired of this as anyone.
Agreed, we can’t dismiss those people out of hand. But neither can we continue making policy based upon the lowest common denominator.

Many places - probably 40+ states - have already started to open up as of today. It’s possible NYC isn’t ready but how about upstate? How about LI? Could start with a few things and then do more every week.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:50 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Agreed, we can’t dismiss those people out of hand. But neither can we continue making policy based upon the lowest common denominator.

Many places - probably 40+ states - have already started to open up as of today. It’s possible NYC isn’t ready but how about upstate? How about LI? Could start with a few things and then do more every week.
I agree with upstate to open right now. LI is a tough call because areas you think would be safe like the East End were contaminated by people leaving the city who had covid.

Some non essential businesses that mirror what the essential box stores do should be able to open following the same safety protocols.

Lesson learned for next wave: lock down the contaminated areas to prevent the spread to clean areas. Why were/are we flying planes in and out of the hot spot?

Old 05-04-2020, 07:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
I agree with upstate to open right now. LI is a tough call because areas you think would be safe like the East End were contaminated by people leaving the city who had covid.

Some non essential businesses that mirror what the essential box stores do should be able to open following the same safety protocols.

Lesson learned for next wave: lock down the contaminated areas to prevent the spread to clean areas. Why were/are we flying planes in and out of the hot spot?
I wonder had China canceled all of its international flights at the same time as they locked down their domestic ones if that would have sent a stronger message. Too late for Monday morning quarterbacking now of course.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I wonder had China canceled all of its international flights at the same time as they locked down their domestic ones if that would have sent a stronger message. Too late for Monday morning quarterbacking now of course.
I think China's denial of the severity of the disease, hiding information from the rest of the world and not preventing people from leaving the hot zone is criminal.

Hopefully this is a wake up call for the rest of the world to treat China like the pariah they are. Stop relying on them to provide our necessary goods, and let's start moving them here and in other areas so if one area gets hit the world's supply doesn't end.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:22 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,957,808 times
/\ By the time we knew how serious it was given the Chinese lies, the carriers (asymptomatic and symptomatic) were here in NYC and once they were here...well, the rest is history.

(While folks have focused on the screwups of the professional experts at CDC who produced and distributed contaminated tests, there is no doubt even uncontaminated tests in sufficient quantities would not have stopped the arrival and spread given the actions of the Chinese.)

Old 05-04-2020, 08:34 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
Quote:
You mean like when Obama sent his infection control czar and thousands of troops to west africa as soon as the ebola issue became evident? Nipped it THERE as opposed to spreading here. Homeland security 101.

https://www.wired.com/story/ebola-cz...irus-response/

Old 05-04-2020, 08:45 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
so why not tell us which close family members of yours you would sacrifice to find out .write their names here since you dont mind spinning the wheel
These sorts of snarky non-arguments are better suited for wine moms squabbling on Facebook.

No one here is advocating for reopening everything, everywhere, with no precautions whatsoever, and just rolling with the ensuing deaths. The states that are reopening are doing so according to a phased plan whereby "non-essential" businesses can re-open with limited capacity - they'll only let 25% of capacity into the store, for example, so we'd see lines like we do now at Trader Joe's, Costco, etc. Masks are required to be in public. Store owners must adhere to the rules.

The idea that we are allowed to go to Home Depot and buy lumber, but the gardening center is off limits, is ludicris. Forget all the legal/constitutional arguments, it just doesn't make any sense from a health perspective. I understand that certain things were done out of necessity when we didn't have a lot of information, but it's time to reassess.

Those who are more vulnerable to the virus should still stay home. The rest of us adults can make our own choices, just as we do with innumerable other things in daily life that carry risks. These social distancing/PPE measures were not designed to eliminate the virus - the only thing that will do that is a vaccine, or an effective treatment. That doesn't mean we stop doing them, but we incorporate them into a "new normal" until science figures out how to beat it for good.

This is not some sort of crazy thinking. Earlier generations dealt with disease on a regular basis. It was part of life. Polio, measles, mumps, rubella, tuberculosis, etc. were pandemics during the lifetimes of people that are still walking the earth today. We fought the Revolutionary War during smallpox, the Civil War during typhoid, World War I during Spanish Flu, and World War II during all those other diseases. COVID-19 is markedly less dangerous than most of those, and the whole world grinds to a halt indefinitely?

Old 05-04-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
You mean like when Obama sent his infection control czar and thousands of troops to west africa as soon as the ebola issue became evident? Nipped it THERE as opposed to spreading here. Homeland security 101.

https://www.wired.com/story/ebola-cz...irus-response/
China refused our help and did not allow our scientists to enter.
Unless you propose we invade China, I am not sure what we could have done. Homeland Security 102 don't invade China
https://www.thedailybeast.com/china-...th-coronavirus

Old 05-04-2020, 08:55 AM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:

All the city folk that have LI houses are already out here weeks ago. If they didnt get it by now they arent going to from NYC.

Both counties have met are really close in meeting CDC protocols for Phase 1

Old 05-04-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
All the city folk that have LI houses are already out here weeks ago. If they didnt get it by now they arent going to from NYC.

Both counties have met are really close in meeting CDC protocols for Phase 1
We are getting closer to meeting the protocols. I hope it happens soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island