Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 12:55 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Because white people are less likely to side with a meth head career criminal. Black people people tend to be more forgiving and thinking a person can change.
Thank you for your contribution

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 01:38 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Don't misconstrue what I said. I am not excusing what the cops did at all. In fact I think it's disgusting what they did. I also don't think The cop should get his pension and I just read online he is. BTW I don't drive south. You need to chill.
I am standing shoulder to shoulder with Lubby. What was done to this man was despicable and should not have been done to anyone or anything regardless of circumstances. However, to Lubby's point, this man is being held up as the next St. Mother Theresa. I too, have a problem with that.

According to Joe Biden, "George Floyd’s Death Had Bigger Global Impact Than MLK’s Assassination". I think that history will certainly have a place for George Floyd. While I have no idea what that will or won't be, but to suggest at this juncture this impact is just hopping on the bandwagon with a statement that only time and history will determine.

He was a man with a checkered past that according to the family was now on a good path but for some reason wound up involved in a police action unfortunately resulting in his death. It was on the news that he had 4 funerals including the last, that involved a horse drawn carriage. I personally believe that for a man/woman to be held in such reverence they need to earn that distinction. He did nothing other than fall victim to a very bad cop.

In my mind this sets a very bad example for those coming behind him. I want for EVERY LIFE to have a purpose and to be treated as you would treat others, nothing more and nothing less.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am standing shoulder to shoulder with Lubby. What was done to this man was despicable and should not have been done to anyone or anything regardless of circumstances. However, to Lubby's point, this man is being held up as the next St. Mother Theresa. I too, have a problem with that.

According to Joe Biden, "George Floyd’s Death Had Bigger Global Impact Than MLK’s Assassination". I think that history will certainly have a place for George Floyd. While I have no idea what that will or won't be, but to suggest at this juncture this impact is just hopping on the bandwagon with a statement that only time and history will determine.

He was a man with a checkered past that according to the family was now on a good path but for some reason wound up involved in a police action unfortunately resulting in his death. It was on the news that he had 4 funerals including the last, that involved a horse drawn carriage. I personally believe that for a man/woman to be held in such reverence they need to earn that distinction. He did nothing other than fall victim to a very bad cop.

In my mind this sets a very bad example for those coming behind him. I want for EVERY LIFE to have a purpose and to be treated as you would treat others, nothing more and nothing less.
Link please? I want to see a direct comparison to Mother Theresa in your link.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:00 PM

7,948 posts, read 9,164,633 times
I think the problem is the words used for the funerals. We are here to honor George Floyd. Well, his life really really wasn't honorable in a lot of peoples' minds. He was a deadbeat dad, a career criminal, and a drug addict. Not exactly something to honor.

Now if you said we were going to grieve Mr. Floyd's death, or to mourn his passing that sounds better.

Of course even with his issues, he did not deserve to die that way. He should have died in a way more befitting his history. Like a drug deal done bad or shot while committing a violent crime, not losing his life over a bad bill that probably would have just given him a desk appearance ticket.

JMO, others I am sure will vary

Old 06-12-2020, 03:26 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Link please? I want to see a direct comparison to Mother Theresa in your link.
Forget Mother Theresa...she’s just a saint....

“Rep. Jackson Lee likened Floyd to the Biblical figures of Jesus and the prophet Isaiah.”

“Family members spoke about Floyd as a "gentle giant”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/us/ge...day/index.html

(Note, Although not mentioned in the rather lengthy CNN link, he served 5 years in prison for a particularly violent armed robbery and was arrested at least seven other times.)

This is not to suggest he deserved to be murdered by the cop.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 06-12-2020 at 03:46 PM..

Old 06-12-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Forget Mother Theresa...she’s just a saint....

“Rep. Jackson Lee likened Floyd to the Biblical figures of Jesus and the prophet Isaiah.”

“Family members spoke about Floyd as a "gentle giant”

(Note, Although not mentioned in the rather lengthy CNN link, he served 5 years in prison for a particularly violent armed robbery and was arrested at least seven other times.)

This is not to suggest he deserved to be murdered by the cop.
This is literally the first paragraph from your link:

"George Floyd was an "ordinary brother" from Houston's housing projects who "nobody thought much about," which makes his central role in a generational movement that much more powerful, the Rev. Al Sharpton said at his funeral Tuesday."

Old 06-12-2020, 05:10 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Quote:

"George Floyd was an "ordinary brother" from Houston's housing projects who "nobody thought much about," which makes his central role in a generational movement that much more powerful, the Rev. Al Sharpton said at his funeral Tuesday."
I thought you asked for a direct link comparing him to Mother Theresa...figured you would settle for Jesus. (My general understanding is that Jesus is just about the top in Christian faith.)

(It is also true, if this needs to be written, that not everyone in the lengthy article compares him to Jesus or references him as a gentle giant. Al Sharpton, as you illustrate, is not the one comparing him to Jesus.That would be US Representative Jackson Lee.)

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 06-12-2020 at 05:29 PM..

Old 06-13-2020, 08:28 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:

If I were a black person, I personally would take offense at the term "ordinary brother". There are many, many, many black men that I used to work with that I would consider as "ordinary men" that don't have rap sheets, drug arrests and have done prison time. It seems to me that statement attempts to legitimize his life and ascent into sainthood. Which brings me to another point, why involve Rev. Sharpton? Is that supposed to legitimize this? It used to be Jesse Jackson, whose wonderful oratory skills could bring a crowd to their feet. Now, Rev. Al, who has somehow also has ascended the ladder to sainthood is the defecto go to spokesperson whenever there is an issue like the Ferguson riots or Eric Garner or George Floyd.

Maybe I am wired differently, (this has nothing to do with the current situation of police brutality), but, if I were married to a cop who was killed in the line of duty, there would be no Mr. Mayor, Mr. Governor, or any other official making a speech or anything. I would not care who insisted it had to be done either, I am adamant that in my mind, unless you are a public official, death and the subsequent funeral should be a personal thing and not a public affair. Certainly there are exceptions, for example, the late Steven McDonald, comes to mind, but that was an entirely different case. Again, JMO.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I thought you asked for a direct link comparing him to Mother Theresa...figured you would settle for Jesus. (My general understanding is that Jesus is just about the top in Christian faith.)

(It is also true, if this needs to be written, that not everyone in the lengthy article compares him to Jesus or references him as a gentle giant. Al Sharpton, as you illustrate, is not the one comparing him to Jesus.That would be US Representative Jackson Lee.)
I'm not particulary religious so I take his words with a grain of salt. Lightly speaking.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
If I were a black person, I personally would take offense at the term "ordinary brother". There are many, many, many black men that I used to work with that I would consider as "ordinary men" that don't have rap sheets, drug arrests and have done prison time. It seems to me that statement attempts to legitimize his life and ascent into sainthood. Which brings me to another point, why involve Rev. Sharpton? Is that supposed to legitimize this? It used to be Jesse Jackson, whose wonderful oratory skills could bring a crowd to their feet. Now, Rev. Al, who has somehow also has ascended the ladder to sainthood is the defecto go to spokesperson whenever there is an issue like the Ferguson riots or Eric Garner or George Floyd.

Maybe I am wired differently, (this has nothing to do with the current situation of police brutality), but, if I were married to a cop who was killed in the line of duty, there would be no Mr. Mayor, Mr. Governor, or any other official making a speech or anything. I would not care who insisted it had to be done either, I am adamant that in my mind, unless you are a public official, death and the subsequent funeral should be a personal thing and not a public affair. Certainly there are exceptions, for example, the late Steven McDonald, comes to mind, but that was an entirely different case. Again, JMO.
Why not involve a reverend at a funeral? I mean this is just common sense.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island