Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 08:10 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoyhoy View Post
That all makes sense. I just try to take it into account when comparing the costs of Manhasset vs. PW (also taking into account the lack of sewers in much of Manhasset, which I think makes property taxes there a bit lower as % of value). We are in the same boat and have been turned off by all the luxury cars we see in Manhasset...but there are a bunch of pluses there too.

We've mostly ruled out Garden City mostly since we just prefer the North Shore proximity to nature, beaches, etc. I don't think the LIRR commute is meaningfully worse though every few minutes do matter and it is nice not having Jamaica on the PW branch. I commuted from the South Shore (near GC) into NYC for a while and it was ok.

It sounds like we're pretty similar to you guys!
The sewer cost on your tax bill is minimal, it's basically a non factor. Luxury cars is a front today, everyone is leasing them (not me). When I lived in Plainview everyone on my block had one besides me all leased. I would see some piece of crap 1200 sq ft cape w/ a 5 series BMW and E class benz. Cars are to be taken with a grain of salt its all a front. Half the homes by me have a Maserati or a Range Rover it doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 09:53 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
The sewer cost on your tax bill is minimal, it's basically a non factor. Luxury cars is a front today, everyone is leasing them (not me). When I lived in Plainview everyone on my block had one besides me all leased. I would see some piece of crap 1200 sq ft cape w/ a 5 series BMW and E class benz. Cars are to be taken with a grain of salt its all a front. Half the homes by me have a Maserati or a Range Rover it doesn't matter.
Just curious how can you possibly know that? Do you ask all your neighbors if they lease or not? Do you ask to see their bank statements too?? You have no idea what another persons financial situation really is. Just because they choose to live in a cape in plainview dosent mean they aren't far wealthier then you are.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:01 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Just curious how can you possibly know that? Do you ask all your neighbors if they lease or not? Do you ask to see their bank statements too?? You have no idea what another persons financial situation really is. Just because they choose to live in a cape in plainview dosent mean they aren't far wealthier then you are.
I will wager a guess here. For the most part, (and this is from my personal experience only and not rooted in asking all) if a person trades a car in every two to three years these cars are leased as opposed to owned. Additionally, many will offer that "we lease" because........., so that is another indicator. Once again, may not apply to all.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:01 AM

15 posts, read 22,094 times
Quote:
All these points are well taken, but per recent stats something like 70% of all BMWs are leased.

And in response to gx89, I don't really have a problem with luxury cars (though I have never owned one) but seeing the vast majority of cars in a neighborhood being luxury cars just suggests to me that many residents care about luxury brands/status, or feel the need to keep up with their neighbors. Not disqualifying by any means but seems like a modest negative.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:16 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
All these points are well taken, but per recent stats something like 70% of all BMWs are leased.

And in response to gx89, I don't really have a problem with luxury cars (though I have never owned one) but seeing the vast majority of cars in a neighborhood being luxury cars just suggests to me that many residents care about luxury brands/status, or feel the need to keep up with their neighbors. Not disqualifying by any means but seems like a modest negative.
I can't get the mentality of anyone who does that nowadays. BMW's and Benz's are all over the place, having one is nothing special and this is coming from someone who has owned both at one point.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:02 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
Quote:
Many of these people I knew and they all leased. I also invest in a real estate group we only do foreclosures and distressed properties. I cant even keep count on houses we would go checkout from the outside that where 6-9 months behind w/ 65-85k cars in the driveway. We purchased 2 of these homes, then sold them to developers who tore them down. We also work with a guy who does auto repo as it ties in w/ home debt, he snaps up leases all the time in that area. Plus many of my old neighbors had new cars every 2 years or so.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:27 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
Any poor person can lease or finance a BMW, Mercedes, etc. And a 3 year old BMW has depreciated so much, its more expensive to finance a new Camry.

One of my neighbors down the block has a modest daily driver Toyota in his driveway. But I've seen his garage door open a few times, and he has a Ferrari with a full car lift in there. Thats impressive to me.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:56 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Any poor person can lease or finance a BMW, Mercedes, etc. And a 3 year old BMW has depreciated so much, its more expensive to finance a new Camry.

One of my neighbors down the block has a modest daily driver Toyota in his driveway. But I've seen his garage door open a few times, and he has a Ferrari with a full car lift in there. Thats impressive to me.

That is what makes this crazy world go around. That is stupidity to me, but hey, when the day comes that I have to foot his bills that is when my opinion becomes important.

Old 09-04-2020, 01:43 PM

131 posts, read 332,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Deblasio doing his best to raise the property values of the suburbs.
Quote:
That all makes sense. I just try to take it into account when comparing the costs of Manhasset vs. PW (also taking into account the lack of sewers in much of Manhasset, which I think makes property taxes there a bit lower as % of value). We are in the same boat and have been turned off by all the luxury cars we see in Manhasset...but there are a bunch of pluses there too.

We've mostly ruled out Garden City mostly since we just prefer the North Shore proximity to nature, beaches, etc. I don't think the LIRR commute is meaningfully worse though every few minutes do matter and it is nice not having Jamaica on the PW branch. I commuted from the South Shore (near GC) into NYC for a while and it was ok.

It sounds like we're pretty similar to you guys!
Garden City is closer to south shore beaches than Port and Manhasset and gives you access to point lookout beach, lido beach and west lido beach (Manhasset and Port only give you access to Nickerson Beach which is for all of Nassau County) Garden City is also closer to all the private Atlantic beach clubs only 20-30 mins away. North shore beaches especially this far west into Nassau can have high levels of bacteria especially after a rainstorm (not the cleanest of beaches).

Old 09-04-2020, 02:43 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:

Used to work with a woman who lived in a crappy dinky cape in an OK town.

Her husband was VERY high up at a blue chip Wall St firm and she worked full time as well. I can ONLY IMAGINE what they were worth. They did put all 3 kids through private college but still. They had to be rolling in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island