Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2020, 06:05 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Used to work with a woman who lived in a crappy dinky cape in an OK town.

Her husband was VERY high up at a blue chip Wall St firm and she worked full time as well. I can ONLY IMAGINE what they were worth. They did put all 3 kids through private college but still. They had to be rolling in it.
Exactly, not everyone with money runs out and buys a McMansion. I know someone like that as well hence my response before. Just because someone lives in a typical house and “appears” to lease their cars Dosent mean you actuality have a clue about their financial situation and what they can afford.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 05:49 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
My neighbors are multi millionaires. Sold one company about five years ago and started another one right up. Kids go to private school but other than that they are in same house and driving same cars. We live in a nice neighborhood but not McMansions. They already own their retirement house but honestly that’s not at all uncommon here.

Old 09-07-2020, 12:50 AM

79 posts, read 91,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoyhoy View Post
Hi everyone,

We're two young NYC professionals with young kids in preschool. We've narrowed it down to Manhasset or PW, though we'd be open to other places - I like Garden City, haven't really considered elsewhere because of LIRR considerations. Have rejected Great Neck (too intense, feels too urban) and Roslyn (inconvenient commute).

Budget: 1.2-2m for a 4br though we'd consider 3br if it were perfect.

Our key considerations are:

Neighborhood Vibe - Manhasset is beautiful but we're a bit worried it's just a bit too posh (mansions in certain neighborhoods, fancy cars almost everywhere). Although we do well, we are thrifty - we own one economy car, buy cheap clothes, don't take fancy vacations, hadn't gone to a fancy restaurant in a long time, etc. I grew up middle class, sometimes struggled a bit. Also no interest in lacrosse. When we meet couples here it's often a former college athlete working in finance married to a stay-at-home-mom and it can be hard to relate. Haven't spent as much time in PW but just seems a different vibe. In Manhasset we like Plandome and Munsey plus some of the unincorporated areas, in PW it seems like Baxter Estates would be our best option, not sure about where else.

Schools - I went to a well-rated school district on the South Shore, but not as good as Manhasset/PW, and quality is really important to me. It seems like Manhasset is a notch above in test scores and considered the better district, but I'm not sure if this really says anything about school quality in that PW seemingly has more economic diversity. Also concerned that Manhasset being much smaller and lacrosse being so huge means my kids will be a bit socially marginalized if they don't play a sport. But on the other hand I like the small size since I don't want my kids to get lost in the shuffle.

Safety - both places seem super safe but curious if any other thoughts

Also I'd love any other town suggestions but it seems like the best LIRR commutes by far are Great Neck, Manhasset, PW, Garden City, and RVC.
There's another thread i just replied to regarding Plandome vs Munsey Park...

We've lived in Manhasset for over 10 years and kids have/are going through the school system. Coming from Queens, the biggest difference i noticed is that the teachers here seem to care. Out of 9 teachers, there was only 1 that gave the impression she was in it for the pay. Compared to Queens, I'd say 5 of 10 just wanted to clock in and out, get tenure and coast (my opinion based on quick parents teachers conferences).
I feel that school rankings and the like can be misleading because if your kid doesnt try, they wont succeed. Of course, living in those affluent areas means that you can afford the $125/hr teacher-tutor for additional after school and weekend help to get them up to par if they're lacking.
As for sports or extra-curriculars, its just what they do... our little girl wanted to do field hockey, lacrosse and soccer cause her friends were signing up. The older boy got into crew and track with his friends. There are many programs in the community for them to pick up from.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 457 times
I know this thread is a few years old, but OP did you ever settle on PW and if so, what has been your impression so far? My family (kids are 5 and 2) is in pretty much the exact situation you were in and we're looking for a similar cultural fit (less lacrosse bro vibes, less emphasis on keeping up with the Joneses, more relaxed atmosphere/school, etc.). I realize no place is perfect, but what any drawbacks you've found so far?

Old 06-12-2023, 07:38 AM

15 posts, read 22,094 times
OP here: We bought in Manhasset and are happy with our decision. We are not lacrosse fans and don't plan to have our kids play (they play other sports). There is a lot of wealth on display but have not seen much judgment of those who don't, and we have found it easy to avoid, in part by not joining any of the country clubs and not really hanging out in circles that care too much about that stuff.

The schools have been great so far, with very small exceptions. We like PW and spend plenty of time there too but like living in a place with a smaller town feel. I don't think you can really go wrong with either but there are certainly pros and cons to each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island