Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 06:07 PM

15 posts, read 22,094 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We're two young NYC professionals with young kids in preschool. We've narrowed it down to Manhasset or PW, though we'd be open to other places - I like Garden City, haven't really considered elsewhere because of LIRR considerations. Have rejected Great Neck (too intense, feels too urban) and Roslyn (inconvenient commute).

Budget: 1.2-2m for a 4br though we'd consider 3br if it were perfect.

Our key considerations are:

Neighborhood Vibe - Manhasset is beautiful but we're a bit worried it's just a bit too posh (mansions in certain neighborhoods, fancy cars almost everywhere). Although we do well, we are thrifty - we own one economy car, buy cheap clothes, don't take fancy vacations, hadn't gone to a fancy restaurant in a long time, etc. I grew up middle class, sometimes struggled a bit. Also no interest in lacrosse. When we meet couples here it's often a former college athlete working in finance married to a stay-at-home-mom and it can be hard to relate. Haven't spent as much time in PW but just seems a different vibe. In Manhasset we like Plandome and Munsey plus some of the unincorporated areas, in PW it seems like Baxter Estates would be our best option, not sure about where else.

Schools - I went to a well-rated school district on the South Shore, but not as good as Manhasset/PW, and quality is really important to me. It seems like Manhasset is a notch above in test scores and considered the better district, but I'm not sure if this really says anything about school quality in that PW seemingly has more economic diversity. Also concerned that Manhasset being much smaller and lacrosse being so huge means my kids will be a bit socially marginalized if they don't play a sport. But on the other hand I like the small size since I don't want my kids to get lost in the shuffle.

Safety - both places seem super safe but curious if any other thoughts

Also I'd love any other town suggestions but it seems like the best LIRR commutes by far are Great Neck, Manhasset, PW, Garden City, and RVC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 07:44 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
GC and Manhasset are pretty similar. You'll get more for your money in GC, better commute (yes I know everyone touts the PW line but if you miss that train you're done, whereas with GC you can do main line or Hempstead Line from Jamaica so there's always a train to hop on). I think you're over thinking the lacrosse thing (but don't be surprised if your kids want to give it a shot)....there are other things to do in both towns. When we lived in GC I knew plenty of down to earth people. You will find yours.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:52 PM
cml

180 posts, read 290,332 times
Garden City and Manhasset are both great towns, Garden City has more of a downtown area, both excellent schools and good sports programs, whats good about Manhasset is if you want a direct train that goes to Penn.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:32 AM

151 posts, read 129,960 times
Garden City has its own police department and code enforcement that is nitpicky. Manhasset doesn't have that and has a quick LIRR commute that is better than dealing with Jamaica.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:29 AM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoyhoy View Post
Hi everyone,

We're two young NYC professionals with young kids in preschool. We've narrowed it down to Manhasset or PW, though we'd be open to other places - I like Garden City, haven't really considered elsewhere because of LIRR considerations. Have rejected Great Neck (too intense, feels too urban) and Roslyn (inconvenient commute).

Budget: 1.2-2m for a 4br though we'd consider 3br if it were perfect.

Our key considerations are:

Neighborhood Vibe - Manhasset is beautiful but we're a bit worried it's just a bit too posh (mansions in certain neighborhoods, fancy cars almost everywhere). Although we do well, we are thrifty - we own one economy car, buy cheap clothes, don't take fancy vacations, hadn't gone to a fancy restaurant in a long time, etc. I grew up middle class, sometimes struggled a bit. Also no interest in lacrosse. When we meet couples here it's often a former college athlete working in finance married to a stay-at-home-mom and it can be hard to relate. Haven't spent as much time in PW but just seems a different vibe. In Manhasset we like Plandome and Munsey plus some of the unincorporated areas, in PW it seems like Baxter Estates would be our best option, not sure about where else.

Schools - I went to a well-rated school district on the South Shore, but not as good as Manhasset/PW, and quality is really important to me. It seems like Manhasset is a notch above in test scores and considered the better district, but I'm not sure if this really says anything about school quality in that PW seemingly has more economic diversity. Also concerned that Manhasset being much smaller and lacrosse being so huge means my kids will be a bit socially marginalized if they don't play a sport. But on the other hand I like the small size since I don't want my kids to get lost in the shuffle.

Safety - both places seem super safe but curious if any other thoughts

Also I'd love any other town suggestions but it seems like the best LIRR commutes by far are Great Neck, Manhasset, PW, Garden City, and RVC.
I wouldd personally not live in Garden City. It's inland and surrounded by sketchy areas. I never understood the lure of Garden City. Middle of the Island. Hot summers, near Hempstead and other undesirable areas.

There are beautiful older homes in Garden City. But, for me? That's it. You can find them elsewhere.

Here are my recommendations in no particular order - For that Garden City look, but you will be near water - Florence Park in Oyster Bay. You can walk to the library, and down town Oyster Bay.

The Three Village School District. Stony Brook, Thge Setauakets and Old Field. Great schools!

Port Jefferson - Just a beautiful New England -esque Village with good schools.

Check these out.

Last edited by sheena12; 08-02-2020 at 12:44 AM..

Old 08-02-2020, 08:37 AM

15 posts, read 22,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I wouldd personally not live in Garden City. It's inland and surrounded by sketchy areas. I never understood the lure of Garden City. Middle of the Island. Hot summers, near Hempstead and other undesirable areas.

There are beautiful older homes in Garden City. But, for me? That's it. You can find them elsewhere.

Here are my recommendations in no particular order - For that Garden City look, but you will be near water - Florence Park in Oyster Bay. You can walk to the library, and down town Oyster Bay.

The Three Village School District. Stony Brook, Thge Setauakets and Old Field. Great schools!

Check these out.
Thanks, these are all great places but don't really work great for an NYC commute with kids. We decided against Sea Cliff and Cold Spring Harbor (both incredible places as well) for LIRR reasons too. It just seems hard to consider anywhere not on the Port Washington line (or the first few stops of the Babylon line).

Old 08-02-2020, 03:12 PM

5,049 posts, read 3,953,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Check these out.
The Florence Park area of Oyster Bay is nothing like the grander Garden City neighborhoods. (It is one of the nicest areas in Oyster Bay proper, has some older and charming homes mixed in, is comprised of just a handful of blocks, and does go down to the water.)

To be honest, Florence Park is close to a not-so-nice strip of stores and the school district, to be kind, is nothing at all like Garden City or Manhasset or Port Washington

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 08-02-2020 at 03:29 PM..

Old 08-02-2020, 03:45 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,327,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoyhoy View Post
Thanks, these are all great places but don't really work great for an NYC commute with kids. We decided against Sea Cliff and Cold Spring Harbor (both incredible places as well) for LIRR reasons too. It just seems hard to consider anywhere not on the Port Washington line (or the first few stops of the Babylon line).
GC is going to be the Main Line or Hempstead not Babylon.

Further out and a bit closer than CSH I would look in Muttontown, there are parts where you can walk to Syosset train. With your budget there are many options, but if you hellbent on being next to a train then the areas you mentioned are your best bet.

I didn't think the PW line was all that. I used the littleneck train station for 2 years. Just because it avoids Jamaica doesn't mean its great. All the time there was issues on other lines and they would pull trains from the PW line and then combine PW trains and make them local.

Old 08-02-2020, 05:04 PM

7 posts, read 15,336 times
Rockville Centre.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:10 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,538,803 times
Deblasio doing his best to raise the property values of the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island