Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 06:30 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,544,307 times

Advertisements

Why is everyone hating on OP for valuing health and fitness?

Obesity is a major problem.
Especially in these times, where obese people are 3x more likely to die from COVID.
So put down those damn bagels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 06:51 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,768,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post

Especially in these times, where obese people are 3x more likely to die from COVID.
prioritizing a healthy lifestyle is a VERY good thing!

Being hesitant to move to Manhasset of all places because you're worried hubby might get a belly is utterly ridiculous.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:02 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,336,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
prioritizing a healthy lifestyle is a VERY good thing!

Being hesitant to move to Manhasset of all places because you're worried hubby might get a belly is utterly ridiculous.
Spot on!

It’s a house you have a basement, Or extra rooms if you need to workout and can’t get to a gym. Do at home workouts. We have been using beach body well before covid and I jog in the woods. Both of us have rolled back time we are almost 40 and have the same bodies now as we did at 25. If you want to stay healthy you will do it no matter where you live. It’s a commitment to eating and exercise location is irrelevant.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:02 AM

11,649 posts, read 12,727,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I say let her go, in fact encourage her. She will sink a ton of money into Manhasset and once she attempts to "fit it" with the locals, that attitude will sink her and her snowflake hub fast.

I must say I wish we could hear from hubs himself....have to wonder if this is all in her head or not.
Hopefully, no one in the family ends up in a wheelchair or a walker in the future. If this is going to be her "forever home" let's see if she says the same thing when they turn 50+ or has a disabled child.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:27 AM

13,059 posts, read 18,149,829 times
Quote:

The OP did not post this in a health and fitness thread. It was about buying a home in a specific location and the commute and how it would tax DH and his health and mental acuity. There are two problems with this post and neither has to do with health or fitness. There is no commute better than a Manhasset commute - if you want to be on LI. So to suggest, as she did, that a ~35 min commute is draining means that she can't live on LI. Since she said she commuted "and it drains you of everything", then in reality she has already answered her own question. LI is not for them. The second thing that is wrong with the post is that by implication she has drawn conclusions about others' mental degree of acuity as well as their pot bellies.

There is no one that could dispute the first two statements that you made and as for the third, people have the right to choose what they wish to eat. Nothing in excess is ever good.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:00 PM

822 posts, read 778,490 times
To the OP, if you do end up moving to Manhasset or any other Suburb near NYC, like anywhere, you'll find people you get along with and those who think like you. To those you don't like just be respectful to them and you don't have to be friends with them.

Another place you might fit in is Bronxville in Westchester. Similar commute to Grand Central and when Express trains start running again it'll be sub 30 minutes via the Metro North Train.

Good luck on whatever you choose!

Old 11-18-2020, 12:41 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,799,559 times
Quote:

Yeah, but when an obese person comes into your office do you call them "fatso"? I agree about keeping a healthy weight, but not fat shaming.

LI's North Shore sounds ideal for the OP.

Old 11-21-2020, 05:46 PM

198 posts, read 530,772 times
OP, my D and her young family moved to Manhasset last year and they are loving it especially during StayAtHome Covid period. Her H commuted to Manhattan West pre-Covid and took an express that had 4 stops from Plandome to Penn Station. They brought gym equipment into the heated garage and he works out after the kids goes to bed. They are very happy they moved.
My S is thinking of moving from Manhattan to Manhasset next year as they will welcome a new baby. He works near GC so his commute will be tougher. He will have to be at the office by 7AM. Right now he works out(5 mile run) before having to be at his "desk" by 7AM and once he moved, he will have to make a lot of adjustments. Lots of people do it.
I advise you to buy a house within a short walking distance to either of the 2 train stations in Manhasset.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:35 PM

11 posts, read 10,152 times
this sounds like us almost exactly! does your daughter live within walking distance to Plandome LIRR? If so, how are they finding that walk to the train station? That road, leading up to LIRR isn't the most pedestrian-friendly as we tested out last month.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:39 PM

198 posts, read 530,772 times
@scoopyloops2, yes my D lives 0.4 miles to Plandome LIRR. Her H walked it in the morning but she may pick him up at the station after work. He works insane hours so it's almost 9PM when he gets home. He's working from home now. I've walked that road Stonytown a few times and it has a sidewalk mostly except for a 150 ft or so. It's not a bad walk( 8 minutes to her house) but I would get some bike lights or wear a reflective vest at night.
My son is looking to buy in the next few months and he is looking at walking distance to the train stations. He has to be at work by 7AM near GC so his commute will be longer.
As you probably know, there is nothing on the market now that are close to the train stations with bigger lots. I look for him everyday as I have time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island