Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 07:43 PM

8 posts, read 11,897 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are a young, professional, somewhat progressive family with 2 small kids (3 YO; 1.5 YO) currently living in NYC and deciding whether to move to Manhasset, LI .

Some more background -

- My husband would be a daily commuter and would need to be in midtown west office by 7:30AM M-F. His work requires him to have quick mental reflexes so sleep is of utmost importance as it directly impacts performance. Living on LI would mean he'd have to get up 5:45AM to make a ~6:30 train. Every day. He'd take a 5PM train back and get home 6PM for dinn dinn. Commute each way on LIRR is ~35min

- We do fall into the high income tax bracket. The city income tax is brutal to us.

- If we stay in NYC, we would likely do public schools. While we can afford private, we're cheap and I myself went to PS so I believe in that. We're planning on having 3 kids.

- Financial things aside, the #1 thing we're actually most concerned about is my husband's health (physical and mental) and are wondering whether a commuting lifestyle will impact his health negatively by making him more tired in general. I heard it can wear you down. And some of those guys on the LIRR ain't looking so good with their pot bellies (offense if you are one of them). We do not aspire to be like that.

So where will we find better health and overall quality of life? Living in NYC (air pollution, noise, but more forced walking) ? or LI (brutal early commute grind, relying on driving instead of walking, but more nature and less air pollution). If we live on LI, I doubt he'll want to work out after he gets home....bc i've done the commute before and its draining you of everything by the time you're home.

What entices us about Long Island is 1) public schools 2)avoid city income tax (which would take a nice large chunk from us) and 3) surrounded by nature

All thoughts welcome! Thank you in advance and god bless America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 07:55 PM

1,468 posts, read 762,035 times
Your taxes about to get much worse. Good luck. Nyc and nys going to make you pay your fair share lol.

Seems like your husband is the only one that can answer the question. Commuting that long for years is brutal. I would get out of nyc while I can. If your husband can’t handle the commute and it’s going to effect him mentally that bad why do that to him?

Be one of the many that come to Long Island raising our property values ! Deblasio the best thing that happened to Long Island. Made a lot of people a lot of money.

Last edited by 94nasupra; 11-15-2020 at 08:21 PM..

Old 11-15-2020, 08:22 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Many of us commuted and we survived. If you are going to be a candy a$$ about the commute then you should not consider a move anywhere. Many people commute from the Hampton’s to NYC daily and they need to be mentally sharp too.
Reconsider a move -you already have convinced yourself it won’t work. A self fulfilling prophecy if you understand.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:13 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopyloops View Post
Hello, we are a young, professional, somewhat progressive family with 2 small kids (3 YO; 1.5 YO) currently living in NYC and deciding whether to move to Manhasset, LI
I'd consider commuting from the opposite direction, NJ. I'm no expert on Jersey but it may be quicker commuting from the eastern part on the PATH trains or NJ Transit, rather than from Manhasset and cutting across all of Queens.

Also, being on the mainland is better. LI is geographically disadvantaged as there's the city bottleneck trapping you if you wanna get off.

I grew up on LI and live on the mainland now, far far away. Believe me, being on the mainland is better.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:06 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,525,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I'd consider commuting from the opposite direction, NJ. I'm no expert on Jersey but it may be quicker commuting from the eastern part on the PATH trains or NJ Transit, rather than from Manhasset and cutting across all of Queens.

Also, being on the mainland is better. LI is geographically disadvantaged as there's the city bottleneck trapping you if you wanna get off.

I grew up on LI and live on the mainland now, far far away. Believe me, being on the mainland is better.
Midtown west from is a quick 10m ferry ride away from weehawk*en nj. It’s expensive but a higher earner like him should have no issues with paying $300/mo, plus parking (or bus depending where he is coming from).

Old 11-16-2020, 05:13 AM

19,233 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Commuting is a mindset and you have to be prepared for it. Finances sound like a mute point other than you want to avoid what the city takes (But that will follow you), school quality and alertness. Cast a wider net if he is working mid-town have you looked at Westchester with Metro-North trains into Grand Central Station, New Jersey? You have the financial resources and good school systems exist all over not just Long Island.

Good luck as you work on whats right for you..

Old 11-16-2020, 06:19 AM

150 posts, read 110,420 times
What kind of person complains about a 35 min commute? WTH, he walks across the street now to get to work?

Old 11-16-2020, 06:26 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
The LIRR service from Manhasset has one of the best performances among commuter trains in the NYC metro area. You should be fine from a commuting standpoint. You will also have no problems finding like minded neighbors in Manhasset, and as some people have already stated, it would be more practical from a financially with the school fees.

What you might want to ask about is how much flexibility does the Manhasset school district give towards kids who have both parents working. Do they offer extended afterschool hours and late pickup?

Old 11-16-2020, 07:10 AM

11 posts, read 10,134 times
woops. - meant 'NO Offense' to the guys w pot bellies. Accidentally left out the No. So now I look like a di)K

We're particularly sensitive to the commute bc hubs already has some sort of underlying health condition which poor sleep would certainly exacerbate, i'll just leave it at that.

I wonder if living in the city has any proven negative impact on life expectancy...if anyone knows of any good studies plz point me in that direction, i'd grreatly appreciate. Typing in curtailed senttences bc keyboard is crapping out on me

Old 11-16-2020, 07:27 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhHell View Post
What kind of person complains about a 35 min commute? WTH, he walks across the street now to get to work?
When I used to drive to the LI office I had a 35 minute commute. When I needed to go into the NYC office several times a week it was a 2+ hour commute each way.

I guess in COVID times a commute is walking down the hallway in your pajamas.

OP, just do the math with respect to income tax vs. property taxes. It might not make a ton of difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island