Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 08:39 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,145 times

Advertisements

How to make an updated ranch cape colonial.

https://www.dormerking.com/photos-do...ns-long-island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 09:00 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
High ranches have to be the ugliest house type.
Hands down the stupidest house style ever built. I refused to even step foot in one when I was looking for my first home. They where built to save $$ on excavation and foundation costs. Should tear them all down and build something normal. Hey let’s get a house where 50% of the house in 25% below grade and has no basement.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:38 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post

That’s more than dormering in some of those examples though.

I had a ranch and looked into adding a second floor. That meant adding stairs, building an entire second floor and rebuilding the roof, and moving all the mechanical stuff for the AC. Ended up being so much that it would be cheaper to sell the ranch and buy a colonial.

So maybe that’s what a “Ranch Colonial” is - someone who did a conversion.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:04 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
High ranches have to be the ugliest house type.
I agree. But i like low ranches. Grew up in one, live in one now ... but i’m not necessarily hell bent on them.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post

Hahaaa is it wrong i like the ‘before’ houses better?

Old 01-29-2021, 04:42 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Hahaaa is it wrong i like the ‘before’ houses better?

Because the afters all look like soulless boxes "and let's make sure we never use shutters".

Old 01-29-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
That’s more than dormering in some of those examples though.

I had a ranch and looked into adding a second floor. That meant adding stairs, building an entire second floor and rebuilding the roof, and moving all the mechanical stuff for the AC. Ended up being so much that it would be cheaper to sell the ranch and buy a colonial.

So maybe that’s what a “Ranch Colonial” is - someone who did a conversion.
We got a quote also. Also ridiculous lol.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:23 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverTrump View Post
Earlier someone mentioned buying a lot and building whatever the buyer wants. Has anyone does this on LI? How does the cost compete with buying a completed house? I know this is a generalized question that will illicit generalized answers, but the commenters here seem knowledgeable.
The cost ultimately depends on where you buy and what you build. New construction taxes are another issue to consider.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:29 PM

821 posts, read 774,895 times
Quote:
Earlier someone mentioned buying a lot and building whatever the buyer wants. Has anyone does this on LI? How does the cost compete with buying a completed house? I know this is a generalized question that will illicit generalized answers, but the commenters here seem knowledgeable.
I've heard a lot of nightmares from people who buy vacant land/houses to tear down. The biggest complaints are:
1) You will be in permit beauracracy for a long time. A builder can build a house in a few months since they know who to pay off in the town. If you hire someone to do it, it could take several years to build.
2) You get a crappy contractor that steals from you/doesn't build what they promised so the costs skyrocket.

This is why a lot of people would rather buy a house from a builder who purchases the land/tear down and builds the new house themselves. If you buy it while it's being built, you can add your personal touches to the house.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:07 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
Quote:
As others mentioned taxes and permits.

If it’s in Nassau your F’d with taxes. I’m in as western Suffolk as you can get, I’m in Nassau in under 2 min by car. My taxes are 16k before star and I’m going to get them lowered as they assessed me 100k over appraisal. Taxes are really dependent on SD. My home in 3 other districts that touch my town would would be 6k, 10k, 12k more.

Permits are the big headache. Even with a expediter there is just tons of stuff. Architect plans, surveys a bunch of other paper work. In suffolk you will need Board of health approval. Once foundation is built another survey. Then all the building, plumbing and electrical inspections. A final survey, final Board of health approval, hers rating test. Approval from highway dept for curb cut and to open road if you need a gas line or to connect to municipal water. A few bonds for stupidity in regards to roads and they will make you plant some trees also.

Price is all up to you. It will be comparable to a tear down. You will get to do exactly what you want. You can somewhat control taxes as there is no sale price so you can get a appraisal and use it against the tax thief’s to show its worth less than they say.

Time frame My vacant lot took 4 months to build the house. Permits and other BS took a year. I had to move a few times in the end we don’t regret it. We got exactly what we wanted and chose every thing in the house down to outlet covers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island