Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 08:18 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,270,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
It has nothing to do with quality of life.

I've been looking for a specific style house for a year now (u/c ranch) in a nice same demographics neighborhood, but a whole 2 showed up and we were not quick enough to get it.

I see many other parts of the country that have much larger supply for these houses. I look at texas, AZ, etc. and there is nothing BUT those that I like.

I really dont like what LI has to offer in general in terms of housing, but that's not to say I dont like every house here. Just that the houses that I like here are not for sale.
I am in a similar situation as you because we are also looking and the inventory is very low right now.

The problems right now is the restricted supply, too many people looking, large parts of the Island we are not interested in and what is available is either not acceptable or not worth it. We have seen a number of houses in 2020 where the owners neglected their 50+ year old house for decades but now are trying to rip off people for top dollar because they know it is a sellers market. We are not falling for it.

I am hoping that the Spring will bring a large number of new houses to the market but it also unfortunately will bring a horde of buyers too. Unfortunately, on Long Island we are not only competing with each other but people fleeing NYC and even people from overseas. Perhaps the answer is to go to a more quiet part of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 12:30 AM

565 posts, read 362,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
It has nothing to do with quality of life.

I've been looking for a specific style house for a year now (u/c ranch) in a nice same demographics neighborhood, but a whole 2 showed up and we were not quick enough to get it.

I see many other parts of the country that have much larger supply for these houses. I look at texas, AZ, etc. and there is nothing BUT those that I like.

I really dont like what LI has to offer in general in terms of housing, but that's not to say I dont like every house here. Just that the houses that I like here are not for sale.
Go fly out to Orange County, CA..it's about an hour south of LA so kind of like Long Island to Manhattan. You won't want to come back. Sure, high taxes, but you'll see the benefits in wonderful streets that are immaculately clean with zero pot holes, great schools, etc, etc, etc. And it's 75 degrees year round with avg. humidity and palm trees.

That's where I'm headed. Irvine, Ca.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:16 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,335,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
Go fly out to Orange County, CA..it's about an hour south of LA so kind of like Long Island to Manhattan. You won't want to come back. Sure, high taxes, but you'll see the benefits in wonderful streets that are immaculately clean with zero pot holes, great schools, etc, etc, etc. And it's 75 degrees year round with avg. humidity and palm trees.

Are you serious! Wait to you see the housing prices, 1m for 2200 sq ft on a good day. 10k in taxes and everything is an HOA. Plus not all the schools are good. I have friends in OC they all use private schools and 2 of them are bouncing to Miami because its so much $$ and they both are MD's making 350k a year.

It's a nice place but Socal has the same issues as NY. High cost of living and atrocious taxes. LI/Westchester is a bargain compared to Socal.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:43 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,396,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post

CA is not known to have good schools.

Also meh on 75 all yr long. I like seasons & snow so no can-do.

Here’s something you’re not gonna believe: not everyone likes CA

Old 02-03-2021, 01:24 PM

690 posts, read 586,236 times
[quote=LINative;60317088]I am in a similar situation as you because we are also looking and the inventory is very low right now.

The problems right now is the restricted supply, too many people looking, large parts of the Island we are not interested in and what is available is either not acceptable or not worth it. We have seen a number of houses in 2020 where the owners neglected their 50+ year old house for decades but now are trying to rip off people for top dollar because they know it is a sellers market. We are not falling for it.

Easily 50% of stock. Welcome to LI.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:38 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,272,295 times
Quote:

Easily 50% of stock. Welcome to LI.
I saw the same in 2005 during the height of the “fog a mirror, get a mortgage” boom. 50’s appliances, 60’s wallpaper and 70’s shag carpet was the norm, at high prices.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:57 PM

11,649 posts, read 12,727,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
CA is not known to have good schools.

Also meh on 75 all yr long. I like seasons & snow so no can-do.

Here’s something you’re not gonna believe: not everyone likes CA
I hate SoCal. My whole immediate family lives there. Higher prices for property, same mid-century housing and if it's new construction, taxes are through the roof. Lousy schools, even in the expensive areas. Lousy beaches unless you like to surf. For someone who complains that English is not spoken here, he is in for a rude awakening-and it's not just Spanish. Utilities are almost as expensive and gas is much higher. Best part is the produce. And it's only 75 in the daytime. At night, there's a 20-30 degree drop in temperature.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:09 AM

20,093 posts, read 20,903,532 times
Ugh. Who in their right mind would want to live in CA? Too much wrong. Outweighs any benefit. It’s a ticking time bomb.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:27 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,828,713 times
My wife and I always say "ugh, who would want to live in California." Then we visit and immediately say "we would." But housing is insane. Too expensive to retire there and I'm not trading one despicable commute for another. A few more years in this overpriced dump-a-roo and I'm off to somewhere quieter, cheaper and with fewer Long Islanders.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:14 AM

20,093 posts, read 20,903,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
My wife and I always say "ugh, who would want to live in California." Then we visit and immediately say "we would." But housing is insane. Too expensive to retire there and I'm not trading one despicable commute for another. A few more years in this overpriced dump-a-roo and I'm off to somewhere quieter, cheaper and with fewer Long Islanders.
Don’t get me wrong, CA has some very nice areas, and some magnificent natural beauty as well, but...
It’s run like a Chinese fire drill, and...earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, flooding, Christ it’s like the natural disaster capital of the US.

I guess it’s kinda like NY, definitely has some positives but it’s such a clusterbleep overall that it’s not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island