Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 09:00 AM

2,694 posts, read 2,352,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Don’t get me wrong, CA has some very nice areas, and some magnificent natural beauty as well, but...
It’s run like a Chinese fire drill, and...earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, flooding, Christ it’s like the natural disaster capital of the US.

I guess it’s kinda like NY, definitely has some positives but it’s such a clusterbleep overall that it’s not worth it.
Costa Rica maybe the perfect place. Not crowded. Mountains, blue water, cheap land, good healthcare system, cheap housing and taxes, tasty food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 09:28 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,836,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Costa Rica maybe the perfect place. Not crowded. Mountains, blue water, cheap land, good healthcare system, cheap housing and taxes, tasty food!
Is Costa Rica still cheap?! One of the nicest places in the world and they have their stuff together too (tech savvy country). When I was there it was jokingly called the "Switzerland of Central America", lol. I know condos have gone way up in price and buying land near the water is heavily restricted from foreign investment. Buying to live there is easier but not the cheapy it once was. I think Panama is trying to be the new retiree mecca and I hear that's really nice too. Costa Rica is paradise, no two ways about it (well, maybe not San Jose, lol), but beaches, volcanos, rain forests, smart people, solid infrastructure (internet, not so much roads) and responsible govt. Lots to like but maybe jumped the shark by now.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:28 AM

11,667 posts, read 12,779,517 times
^Panama is still very 3rd world in most areas.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Is Costa Rica still cheap?! One of the nicest places in the world and they have their stuff together too (tech savvy country). When I was there it was jokingly called the "Switzerland of Central America", lol. I know condos have gone way up in price and buying land near the water is heavily restricted from foreign investment. Buying to live there is easier but not the cheapy it once was. I think Panama is trying to be the new retiree mecca and I hear that's really nice too. Costa Rica is paradise, no two ways about it (well, maybe not San Jose, lol), but beaches, volcanos, rain forests, smart people, solid infrastructure (internet, not so much roads) and responsible govt. Lots to like but maybe jumped the shark by now.
It’s illegal to build on the Water. All homes Have to be a certain distance and every beach Is public. San Jose is blah. I like the guanacaste region. I could buy a 5k sq ft new build in a gated community on 1.5 acres with ocean views surrounded by nature for 715k $1600 a Year in taxes. 5 min drive to beach. This is a larger home you’re any a 2500 sq ft it’s way less. If you don’t want what’s considered a luxury home in The states and a infinity pool looking into the mountains it’s way cheaper.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
^Panama is still very 3rd world in most areas.
That's how gentrification happens. American money, retirees, corporations.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
It’s illegal to build on the Water. All homes Have to be a certain distance and every beach Is public. San Jose is blah. I like the guanacaste region. I could buy a 5k sq ft new build in a gated community on 1.5 acres with ocean views surrounded by nature for 715k $1600 a Year in taxes. 5 min drive to beach. This is a larger home you’re any a 2500 sq ft it’s way less. If you don’t want what’s considered a luxury home in The states and a infinity pool looking into the mountains it’s way cheaper.
I'm a little worried about dropping more on a house there than here...and still feel a justifiable need to keep a machete in the car.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I'm a little worried about dropping more on a house there than here...and still feel a justifiable need to keep a machete in the car.
That was just an example of a insane property. You can get a 2000 sq ft home 5 min from the beach with no water views for 200k and a $300 tax bill.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:26 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,440,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I hate SoCal. My whole immediate family lives there. Higher prices for property, same mid-century housing and if it's new construction, taxes are through the roof. Lousy schools, even in the expensive areas. Lousy beaches unless you like to surf. For someone who complains that English is not spoken here, he is in for a rude awakening-and it's not just Spanish. Utilities are almost as expensive and gas is much higher. Best part is the produce. And it's only 75 in the daytime. At night, there's a 20-30 degree drop in temperature.
I love visiting Socal & I have family there but living there just sounds awful (they hate it too but theyre not gonna leave lol)

CA is one of those looks good “on paper” type places.

I also find everything just looks so dry & brown, not vibrant greens like we have here

Old 02-05-2021, 05:14 PM

20,323 posts, read 21,076,436 times
Quote:
And guerillas and banditos!

Old 02-06-2021, 11:35 AM

297 posts, read 198,052 times
Quote:
Mosquitos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island