Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 10:58 AM

48 posts, read 28,912 times

Advertisements

Voting has consequences...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 12:41 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,522,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry87124 View Post
Voting has consequences...
Does it? Trump was the only "tough on immigration" President we've had in my lifetime, and most of that was Stephen Miller working behind the scenes, because Congress and the GOP wanted nothing to do with The Wall or anything else. The door has been wide open since 1965, which will eventually result in the US turning into Brazil, not a "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" woke paradise.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:48 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Ahh yes I remember now the Bronx tale kid. Yeah he actually was found not guilty of murder but guilty of armed robbery. Got paroled years ago I read.

Yeah, Lllio Brancato was sprung some time back, and has tried to jump start his career and life, but that isn't going exactly according to plans. Too many have turned their backs on the guy, much as he tries to deflect what happened was due to drugs/addiction, blah, blah; he's a grown man who has to lay in the bed he made.

https://hudsoncountyview.com/union-c...s-2005-murder/

Old 12-31-2021, 10:04 AM

791 posts, read 488,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Does it? Trump was the only "tough on immigration" President we've had in my lifetime, and most of that was Stephen Miller working behind the scenes, because Congress and the GOP wanted nothing to do with The Wall or anything else. The door has been wide open since 1965, which will eventually result in the US turning into Brazil, not a "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" woke paradise.
Well said. This is what most historians, those not woke, will tell you. We're probably likely to look more like Brazil than any other country in the world in about 50 years. A hodge podge of ethnicities and race, very poor and very wealthy, and a culture maligned by thuggery. It will be a far cry from America's greatest generation of WW2, which was almost entirely christian and European.

Mediocrity will pervail.

Old 12-31-2021, 02:56 PM

918 posts, read 564,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Well said. This is what most historians, those not woke, will tell you. We're probably likely to look more like Brazil than any other country in the world in about 50 years. A hodge podge of ethnicities and race, very poor and very wealthy, and a culture maligned by thuggery. It will be a far cry from America's greatest generation of WW2, which was almost entirely christian and European.

Mediocrity will pervail.
Largely, but not "almost entirely" in 1940:

https://external-preview.redd.it/zOe...=webp&ee3592be

Old 01-01-2022, 03:03 PM

35,105 posts, read 17,063,143 times
Quote:

Mediocrity will pervail.
I mean I'm Jewish, but agree with most of what you say. And Chinese and Japanese are just fine. Otherwise, I just don't get why Biden and other experimenters want to ruin a great country.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:38 PM

226 posts, read 129,303 times
Quote:

Mediocrity will pervail.
Oh, the irony. Where to begin?

For starters, like the US, Brazil is a country founded by European immigrants. It may come as a shock to you, but Portuguese is a European language.

Second, as a percentage of the population, Brazil is both more Christian and more religious than the US. So you're 0 for 2 right now.

Lastly, the largest single group in Brazil are still cough "European." So now you've struck out, and maybe you have to accept the discomforting reality that perhaps there's something more to national success than Christianity and Europeanness. Like, oh I don't know, rule of law, maybe? Bueller?

Old 01-06-2022, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 439 times
I was perusing this thread and noticed a few things that peaked my interest. So I made an account! Although I am fine with new individuals from different lands coming to LI, it still concerns me to as how they will behave or act in schools, general public, and the like. You gotta remember, where these people are coming from, is IN NO WAY similar to Long Island. Yes, some work hard and some are beneficial society. However, a good portion are of no benefit. I went to Amityville High School in Long Island, just recently graduated three years ago, and a lot of these “illegal” kids were the ones causing the most trouble - cursing out students, assaulting teachers, and the like. (Yes, I am worried about the “illegal” kids and young adults because they are the ones who seem to cause the most trouble.) Also, not to mention them swerving in and out of traffic all hours of the day in their 2004 CRV’s or amped up Civic’s.

In regards to the “ladies handing out fruit” on the side of the road - yeah, no. I’m happy they’re making a means of living, but with all due respect, keep that in the city. I’m not trying to scrutinize or anything, but it looks really trashy and out of place. I was driving down Broadhollow Road today (towards Amityville) and I noticed a man in the middle of the road selling churros - I don’t know of anyone who would want churros off 110. As I drove further down, women were selling flowers in the middle of street. It almost looked as if I were in Queens or a third-world country (stealing the “third world” term from other user).

Again, respect to those “fruit ladies” - notwithstanding, however, the fact that it makes the area look run down almost. These “illegals” either follow two pathways - a benefit to society (i know many individuals at the hospital i work at who once were in the same boat), or useless (assaulting students and teachers, MS13, etc.)

Nice forum by the way! Never knew this was a thing til today. Cheers.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:53 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,828,121 times
umm...it's socioeconomic, not racial or nationalistic. always was, always will be. plenty of poor whitey's clogging up the prisons and mental wards too. poverty makes people of all races and nationalities less than cordial. go figure.

Old 01-08-2022, 05:17 PM

73 posts, read 33,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
If you don't want "pristine" Long Island to be overrun by "inferior" demographic then arrest ANY business owner or person who hires illegals. Period. Democrat or Republican. If they hire an illegal call the cops and have them arrested. That should be the LAW.
This is something that I think many of us on here would agree with you on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Italians, Jews, and some other groups weren't even considered "white" until relatively recently, which goes to show how they tend to differ from earlier waves of Northern European immigrants.
People claim this all the time, but it's never really been true. They were seen as different, sure, especially during the mid 1800s. But they were always "white" in the US, at least officially.

Last edited by SWEATSHIRT; 01-08-2022 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island