Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 07:13 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,760,601 times

Advertisements

Watch out. Left lane of LIE between 62 and 58 has some dangerous Potholes. Saw 4 cars with flats yesterday on my commute

Headed west..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 11:54 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,362,856 times
In 2006, i hit a pothole on New Hwy in Farmingdale at night that blew out my tire and bent my rim. My friend told me to find out who is responsible for maintaining the road and submit a claim because they have to pay for it. I went to the spot at 8 am the following morning with a camera and a measuring tape and took a picture of the hole. Good thing I did because a truck was about to fill it in. I submitted my bills and got a full payment shortly after.

In 2019, we had Mother’s Day brunch on Old Country Rd in Westbury. It was raining and on the way to my mothers in law’s house, my wife asked me to true into a strip mall because she realizes she forgot to get her mother a card. I turned at the intersection and BOOM! My car just stopped dead and couldn’t move. I got out to see my front right tire laying sideways. My Axel broke after hitting a giant pothole. I called AAA and we waited in the rain in the middle of the intersection for an hour. Car was towed to her mothers house in Hicksville. I found someone who agreed to do all the work for $200 labor as long as I bought the parts for $400. I took pictures and there were 3 or 4 potholes, all 4-7” deep and submitted them with my bills to whoever was responsible. Two years went by and I called for a status. They weren’t sure why I never heard anything. They then sent me a letter stating my claim was denied. I called to ask why and they said that since no one reported the pot holes before me, they never had a chance to fill them thereby denying all responsibility. That is the most insane thing I ever heard. It does not make them any less liable for the damage. I’m not done with them.

That said, the roads are so bad everywhere.

Old 03-05-2022, 05:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
Over the past 2 weeks I’ve been to Cape May, NJ, Connecticut and up to Albany. Long Island has the worst roads hands down. It’s down right embarrassing!! All those taxes paid and we have 3rd world country roadways!

Old 03-07-2022, 08:20 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,760,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Over the past 2 weeks I’ve been to Cape May, NJ, Connecticut and up to Albany. Long Island has the worst roads hands down. It’s down right embarrassing!! All those taxes paid and we have 3rd world country roadways!
Agreed. I have done some traveling "in a rented truck" and the roads are much better when you leave the island. What I want to know is why we sit down and take it? Nobody should have to deal with this. Whoever is in charge either fix it or be replaced.

There was an event in Calverton with legal sanctioned racing. Multiple cars bent rims and blew tires driving to the event on the LIE or 25 or sunrise. It's a disgrace.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:24 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,534,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Watch out. Left lane of LIE between 62 and 58 has some dangerous Potholes. Saw 4 cars with flats yesterday on my commute

Headed west..
Every single day! Again, for the 20 minutes/10 exits I’m on the LIE (61 to 51) I see at least 2-4 flat tires 3-5 days per week. Last week, 5 on Thursday. That’s just going West bound! How many are there PER DAY!

Last Friday there was a major accident on the LIE. One hour to go 15 miles. The DOT showed up. NOT to fix the pot hole, but to “inspect”. One exit away, another car with a flat. Looked like all the emergency responders attended to that one right after the first one.

Amazing you don’t hear any of this on the news. News 12? Snoozday?

Old 03-08-2022, 12:11 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,344,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Every single day! Again, for the 20 minutes/10 exits I’m on the LIE (61 to 51) I see at least 2-4 flat tires 3-5 days per week. Last week, 5 on Thursday. That’s just going West bound! How many are there PER DAY!

Last Friday there was a major accident on the LIE. One hour to go 15 miles. The DOT showed up. NOT to fix the pot hole, but to “inspect”. One exit away, another car with a flat. Looked like all the emergency responders attended to that one right after the first one.

Amazing you don’t hear any of this on the news. News 12? Snoozday?

Guess not interesting enough for them. Unless the reporter hit a pothole and lost the story down that pothole and doesn't want to rewrite it.

Old 03-08-2022, 01:11 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,542 times
Since we are complaining about the roads... I have been driving since 1996. Never had a nail in the tire before. Since moving to LI in 2015- I've had to plug my tires at least 9 times.

Old 03-08-2022, 01:21 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,344,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Since we are complaining about the roads... I have been driving since 1996. Never had a nail in the tire before. Since moving to LI in 2015- I've had to plug my tires at least 9 times.

Sounds about right. I've driven on all kinds of terrain outside of LI and you'd think I'd get a flat out there somewhere. But nope, only on LI.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:33 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,534,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I wonder how many windshields have cracks in them too!

Old 03-09-2022, 06:07 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Our tax dollas hard @ work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island