Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 08:30 AM

21 posts, read 17,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I apologize in advance for being dense. How does an SUV protect you in terms of potholes vs a car?
it just provides more reaction time to avoid potholes since SUV's have higher ground clearance vs. sedans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I believe what he is saying, from my interpretation, is that most "cars" come with steel rims. Decades ago, I don't recall steel rims being bent so much by hitting a pothole. Alloy rims hold up better in this situation. They won't bend, but they can crack. I do know of one person who did crack their alloy rim after hitting a pothole. But the number of cracked alloy rims to bent steel rims is very minimal. However I am going only by what I read and hear on Long Island. I'm not talking about going off road or anything other than the LIE.

Whether the person's alloy rim was cracked prior or had a flaw, I do not know.

Most SUV's offer an alloy rim option.
steel rims are significantly stronger than alloy wheels and can absorb more impact. alloy rims are standard in today's market, more atheistically pleasing, but can easily bend and crack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 08:48 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,549,310 times
One my way home on the LIE yesterday, three accidents. I don’t know if they were pothole related. However, two cars with blown out tires. One of the cars destroyed his entire front end.

Every single day!

Old 03-17-2022, 09:23 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,778,333 times
SUVs have larger tires. More tire and sidewall means more rim protection. A vehicle designed to drive over rough terrain can handle potholes vs a vehicle designed for performance or luxury.

I fear the roads are getting worse. The area around the entrance to the Sagitos from LIE east is like driving over cobblestones at 55 MPH. Over time it will destroy shocks and struts on a sedan or Sportscar .

Old 03-17-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
One my way home on the LIE yesterday, three accidents. I don’t know if they were pothole related. However, two cars with blown out tires. One of the cars destroyed his entire front end.

Every single day!
I see about 4 a day on my commute. Mavis discount tire must be making serious bank right now.

Old 03-18-2022, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I see about 4 a day on my commute. Mavis discount tire must be making serious bank right now.
I wonder how many there are per day? Again, that’s just the 20 minutes I am on the LIE to/from work.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I wonder how many there are per day? Again, that’s just the 20 minutes I am on the LIE to/from work.
I have a good friend that works at a rim repair shop. Business is BOOMING. Lots of overtime.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:21 AM

4,537 posts, read 8,362,601 times
Quote:
I have a good friend that works at a rim repair shop. Business is BOOMING. Lots of overtime.

I'm not surprised. Saw Jimmy Hoffa in one crater. The Santa Maria in another crater.

The repair jobs they're doing on the LIE are not holding up well.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I'm not surprised. Saw Jimmy Hoffa in one crater. The Santa Maria in another crater.

The repair jobs they're doing on the LIE are not holding up well.
Lol. I'm still going to have to replace the front struts this summer. They are worn out at this point. Nothing i can do about that. It's impossible to avoid the rough roads. Sometimes I roll down the window and take pictures of the worst ones. I send to family who live out of state. They wouldn't believe me otherwise.

Old 03-19-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Lol. I'm still going to have to replace the front struts this summer. They are worn out at this point. Nothing i can do about that. It's impossible to avoid the rough roads. Sometimes I roll down the window and take pictures of the worst ones. I send to family who live out of state. They wouldn't believe me otherwise.
You mean your “out of state” family members have good roads & don’t pay 10k++++++ per year for property taxes? LOL

Old 03-19-2022, 06:25 PM

22,729 posts, read 36,954,536 times
Quote:
You mean your “out of state” family members have good roads & don’t pay 10k++++++ per year for property taxes? LOL
We are up this weekend and my 18 year old said “people pay all this money to live here and they can’t fix these roads?”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island