Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 10:54 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times

Advertisements

It's the time of the year again when there's a constant drone in the background all day long of leaf blowers.

I'm one the only people in my neighborhood that does their own lawn work. This is an area with generally small yards so it's not tough. Edging and cutting front and back yards is about an hour, maybe less with my battery powered trimmer and mower. I have never once needed the use of leaf blower. There are no trees here! I don't understand what these crews are even blowing around. I'm pretty sure it's just to make them look busy and justify their existence.

The other hallmark that spring is here is that I constantly hear my neighbor's dog. I go all winter without hearing that overgrown sentient pillow, now I can't go in my backyard without hearing constant "YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP YIP!".

Oh well, if that's the worst I have to complain about then so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 01:47 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
You want to listen to my lawn equipment going for two hours or my landscapers for 20 minutes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Is there a noise difference between commercial and homeowner landscaping equipment?
Is this even a contest? Not only do homeowners usually not blow on a 100x60's lawn for 20 minutes straight like landscapers do, they don't typically use gas-powered machines to do it.

Yesterday I started this thread because the neighbor who is behind AND diagonal from me had landscapers doing their FRONT yard and I can still hear it enough INSIDE the front of my house like it was just outside my window. I can always easily hear landscapers 5 houses away, without question. I'll put down $100 that isn't the case when I run my mower or electric blower (for the 2 mins that I do). They need to get their job done throughout the day at multiple locations, so they use overpowered commercial machines. I could do their lawn in 20 minutes by myself - that's how little lawn they have (BTW, clippings should go right back into the lawn).

But wait, since people are paying them and demand perfection, they have to do a very thorough job so they make extra runs to ensure not 1 strand of loose grass is left anywhere on the property. Complete overkill to the annoyance of everyone else around. How many of you get the lawn done while you're away at work? Of course it's not a bother. Ignorance works for you. Invite them to come every Saturday instead when you're sitting at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Ovi woke up this morning and looked around and realized he or she lived in the suburbs.
As opposed to a noisy city with constant ambient noise as expected? Yeah, suburbs are for comfort, peace, and quiet. This is why commercial equipment noise from 2-5 houses over in every direction nearly every day is a valid complaint. Yet people are ok with this suburban epidemic because they are culprits themselves. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-06-2022 at 02:16 PM..

Old 04-06-2022, 01:53 PM

603 posts, read 445,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Is this even a contest? Not only do homeowners usually not blow on a 100x60's lawn for 20 minutes straight like landscapers do, they don't typically use gas-powered machines to do it.

Yesterday I started this thread because the neighbor who is behind AND diagonal from me had landscapers doing their FRONT yard and I can still hear it enough INSIDE the front of my house like it was just outside my window. I can easily hear them 5 houses away, without question. I'll put down $100 that isn't the case when I run my mower or electric blower (for the 2 mins that I do). They need to get their job done, and "quick", so they use overpowered commercial machines.

But wait, since people are paying them and demand perfection, they have to do a very thorough job so they make extra runs to ensure not 1 strand of grass is left anywhere within view. Complete overkill to the annoyance of everyone else around. How many of you get the lawn done while you're away at work? Of course it's not a bother. Ignorance never is.

Maybe dual pane windows would help?

Old 04-06-2022, 02:16 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
Wishful thinking. Have you never been next to these machines?

They do not. Next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott81nyc2 View Post
ill take 20 minutes of noise than a block full of wild jungle
So you agree people are just lazy. The problem isn't just one 20-minute block for 1 house. It's multiple, for longer, for multiple days a week. Do you not have neighbors? Because that sentence says you do.

Old 04-06-2022, 02:32 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,319 times
“Yesterday I started this thread because the neighbor who is behind AND diagonal from me had landscapers doing their FRONT yard and I can still hear it enough INSIDE the front of my house like it was just outside my window. I can always easily hear landscapers 5 houses away, without question.”

I’d rather hear lawn mowers knowing my neighbors are keep up with property values than gun shots! SMH

Old 04-06-2022, 02:37 PM

Lazy? Again, as I previously posted (below).
Amazing people complaining about others who are keeping up with their properties!

“Lazy? No excuses! For $30, let them knock themselves out! For me to just edge the lawn, edge the sidewalk, driveway path, around all fences & blow all the clippings into bags, would take me well over 1.5 hours. My township doesn’t take lawn clippings (trip to the dump). Plus Maintenance on all lawn equipment.
No thanks! $30 we’ll spent!”

Old 04-06-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Wishful thinking. Have you never been next to these machines?

They do not. Next.

So you agree people are just lazy. The problem isn't just one 20-minute block for 1 house. It's multiple, for longer, for multiple days a week. Do you not have neighbors? Because that sentence says you do.
Love seeing my neighbors take good care (By landscapers) of their properties in my neighborhood!

Old 04-06-2022, 03:27 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
Amazing how half my posts are deleted. The mods here are ridiculous.

Old 04-06-2022, 03:35 PM

1,465 posts, read 758,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Amazing how half my posts are deleted. The mods here are ridiculous.
I had that issue. And I posted something like this and I got banned again lol. They were deleted within 3 seconds. I feel like I’m on Twitter. Delete posts one doesn’t agree with.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
DP windows! LOL! Might save on energy cost too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island