Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 05:19 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,540,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Is there a noise difference between commercial and homeowner landscaping equipment?
I never paid attention or measured the decibels, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 05:59 AM

13,064 posts, read 18,172,477 times
OP. The reason people move out of the city is for land and relaxation and quiet. I lived 59 years on LI and worked for 30 in NYC. I will gladly take any commercial lawn service, tree trimmers, or kids playing outside compared to the horns blasting and pollution of the city. As for lazy? Hardly. They have sharper equipment and in 20 minutes use to trim, edge and weed and were gone with the debris. When DH & I did it, it took us a couple of hours, the edging was not nearly as well done and we had the lawn clippings simmering outside in a hot summer day. I paid for my home to look nice and not once did I tell them to "overkill" the blowing. Turn the music on and enjoy life instead of complaining. As others have already said, taking pride in ones home is an asset not a liability.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:36 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,545,868 times
I'm of both minds on this one. If anyone has a number for these "20 minute" landscapers, please send it to me! There are 2-3 guys for each house in my area. The lawn service itself is relatively quick, but those blowers seem to go on forever. Certainly longer than 20 minutes.

I don't understand how it takes so long to use multiple blowers - it was quicker when they used to rake and pick up the clippings/debris. Also, don't understand the point of blowing the debris into and down the road. Wind just blows it back or onto someone else's property. I've heard claims that all this tiny debris blown into the air isn't healthy. Don't know how true it is, but my guess is that it can't be very good (especially for those with allergies).

That said, I still use a landscaper to take care of my lawn. Lazy? Hardly. I simply value my time. Balancing the cost of a landscaper against the value of the time it would take to do it myself... I'm getting the bargain of the century. It's a bonus that the landscaper gets better results than I could. I have taken care of lawns since I was 10 years old. Always hated it and never had the desire to get good at it. There are much better and more productive things to do with my time.

It would be great if these guys were able to turn down the noise and take away the clippings instead of blowing them around the area. Regardless, it still beats the alternative.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:11 AM

63 posts, read 39,788 times
I think its more of a time thing
Between people juggling jobs - or multiple jobs as well as school
Many people simply no longer have the time
So it is more efficient for them to pay landscapers
And yes keeping vegetation well maintained is important
also to not interfere with town/village codes and whatnot
A well maintained lawn helps keep a house cooler in the summer as well
It also may be a generational thing
Once upon a time younger people of a family would do tasks such as cutting the grass
But again - they may not have the time as well with school and all

However there does seem to be an issue with landscapers
Particularly somewhat low skilled landscapers
There are certain techniques that can be used when using lawn equipment
That would limit interference/disturbing the community
Many landscapers on the island have been observed doing careless things
Such as leafblowing debris directly into moving traffic

All in all for average sized lawns/yards should not take more then a half hour
Invest in a decent mower/trimmer/blower
No need to bag the trimmings - the mower on mulch setting will act as a natural fertilizer
Many manufacturers are now making electric/battery operated equipment as well

Old 04-07-2022, 08:11 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,908,517 times
^ would you leave your windows open if driving through a street where landscapers are blowing? That's all we really need to know with regard to the health issue.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Love seeing my neighbors take good care (By landscapers) of their properties in my neighborhood!
Homeowners doing it & property values - you really think there's an inverse correlation? That's just a convenient excuse and a reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Turn the music on and enjoy life instead of complaining.
Infants & new moms sleeping.

Conf calls.

Training sessions, etc.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-07-2022 at 08:28 AM..

Old 04-07-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ would you leave your windows open if driving through a street where landscapers are blowing? That's all we really need to know with regard to the health issue.
No most certainly not
However blowing debris into moving traffic is certainly a careless/unskilled thing
And dangerous
Aside from the possibility of having the car windows open - it can also cause a visibility hazard
Lawn debris under a hot moving car can also be a fire hazard

It boils down to a skill issue
A skilled landscaper would be mindful of these things

As far as simply the noise of lawn equipment that seems to be a superficial issue
There may be city/town codes in place in regards to landscaping however

Old 04-07-2022, 08:19 AM

^ lawmakers or enforcement look the other way anyway, because they too use landscapers.

Not any different than old people not voting for driver license re-testing. Selfish selfish selfish.

Point of thread: stop the ignorance; status quo blows; identify oneselves as ^ ^ ^ .

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Amazing how half my posts are deleted. The mods here are ridiculous.
You mean a valid counterpoint of yours was unjustly removed? Doubtful.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-07-2022 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-07-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ lawmakers or enforcement look the other way anyway, because they too use landscapers.

Not any different than old people not voting for driver license re-testing. Selfish selfish selfish.
Perhaps

But yes some villages most likely have codes with respect to noise pollution from landscaping/construction and whatnot
Such as "landscaping equipment is not to be used until ___ time on __ day"
And depending on the area there are probably code enforcement inspectors that would be more than happy to issue fines to the offending companies
There is also the issue of entitlement - especially in a place like long island

Old 04-07-2022, 09:21 AM

186 posts, read 67,989 times
My neighbors landscaper takes about 1-2 hours per property and does about 8 houses on the street throughout the week. Never cared before working from home. Will admit it's a bit annoying and distracting. Really wish people would use landscapers that are quick at least.

Last edited by cablegeek117; 04-07-2022 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island