Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 08:58 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
No it's not how it should be. Just like any war, we don't prematurely end a fight in a war until it's declared over. The same goes for this "war" against Covid. We are prematurely ending our safety measures when we need to continue for a little longer.

You are saying it's "never going away" because it isn't due to people not doing what they are supposed to. Getting rid of Covid is easy to do provided people do the simplest safety measures to prevent any continuous spreading of the virus, which the human race has miserably failed at doing these past three years!
Im really starting to think you are trolling here. You can't possibly be that dense. There is no way to completely stop the spread of a virus. Zero.

The "war" as you put it Is over. Even the friggen president who hid in his basement and was all in for years on lock downs has declared it over.

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/11/11691...onal-emergency

If you want to wear a hazmat suit in your basement until the end of time that's on you. The rest of us are going to (and already have) moved on with our lives. Thats reality, suck it up.

Last edited by peconic117; 05-03-2023 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 09:09 AM

3,500 posts, read 1,413,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I agree life goes on get over it. The OP should do what they need to do for themselves as they see fit and not tell others how they should live or protect themselves. For those of us that want to go on living a normal life that's for us to decide. If the other person feels differently then they should stay home and never leave the house.
I'm not talking about protecting myself. I'm talking about ending a global pandemic. There's a difference there.

In fact, I don't care much about contracting Covid. I caught is back in December and had minor symptoms. But how I react to Covid is not the same as everyone else. People are dying from Covid everyday and the number of deaths are still really high. Why do you think the WHO hasn't declared an end to the pandemic yet? They want the number of deaths to go down.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Im really starting to think you are trolling here. You can't possibly be that dense. There is no way to completely stop the spread of a virus. Zero.

But how do you know that? If people at least tried and it didn't work, maybe I could believe it. People threw hissy fits over simple safety measures like wearing a mask, staying at home, social distancing, and closing businesses. Everyone cried and got angry over all of those things and just refused to comply.

Old 05-03-2023, 12:32 PM

974 posts, read 1,412,497 times
Quote:
But how do you know that? If people at least tried and it didn't work, maybe I could believe it. People threw hissy fits over simple safety measures like wearing a mask, staying at home, social distancing, and closing businesses. Everyone cried and got angry over all of those things and just refused to comply.
I am certain that a 1,000 degree burning volcanic rock will burn my hand. But since I have never tried holding one, you would say that I don't really know??

COVID is an upper-respiratory coronavirus, of the same type and family as many other already existing coronaviruses that have been causing common cold symptoms for centuries. And you know what? Some old, infirm, and immune-compromised people have died from these other coronaviruses through the years. And at a higher rate than you might think, because the causes of death are chalked up to the complications caused by them, and there have not been any tests for them. And most of them, if not all of them, caused a fair amount of death when they were new - until they weren't. Through out most of human history, these "pandemics" were considered to be the flu, a plague, or punishment from god, depending on when and where it occurred.

It being an upper-respiratory coronavirus of this type, it will 100% spread no matter what we do, short of quite literally putting every single human being on the planet in a glass bubble for two weeks. The human body has evolved in a way that evading such viruses are unnecessary since they almost always cause minor symptoms. Or stated differently, these types of viruses have evolved in such a way as to take advantage of how the human body works. We need to breathe, and our immune response, from an evolutionary point of view, needs to only protect our major bodily functions. We are essentially trading cold symptoms for protection of what is important. But sometimes the virus slips through the 5 hole, and you die. Such is life. People also die from chocking on hot dogs.

Contrast this with other types of viruses, such as polio, which spreads and functions very differently. With the aid of vaccines, these viruses can, and by and large have, been eradicated. But coronaviruses can not be. Once they exist, then just add them to the list. This is not to say that vaccines won't help. I have received no less than 4 shots. But such really only helps mitigate sickness when you get it. It does not help with the spread that much - again this is due to how the body works and how the virus works. In fact, relatively young and healthy people should want to get periodic exposures to COVID, even if it makes them kind of sick every once in a blue moon. This keeps your antibodies sharp, and gets you ready for when you encounter COVID in your old age. The same is true for all of the other cold-causing viruses out there. Continous mask wearing indefinitely is a recipe for disaster when you get old.

Old 05-03-2023, 03:45 PM

Well the Spanish Flu went away in two years! Why is Covid still around 3+ years later?

Ok, I get it. The Spanish Flu evolved into a weaker virus, so it became endemic. Ok fine. So why isn't Covid endemic at this point? Let me guess, it's endemic in your book, right? Well the WHO doesn't think so and only they can declare a pandemic over.

Old 05-03-2023, 04:06 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
Quote:
Well the Spanish Flu went away in two years! Why is Covid still around 3+ years later?

Ok, I get it. The Spanish Flu evolved into a weaker virus, so it became endemic. Ok fine. So why isn't Covid endemic at this point? Let me guess, it's endemic in your book, right? Well the WHO doesn't think so and only they can declare a pandemic over.
Just stay in your house. If you go outside make sure you double mask up. Inside around people make sure you’re 6 feet away. Go get your 7th booster shot. After all that you will be a-ok.

Old 05-03-2023, 04:31 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,707,021 times
Quote:

Its over.. the WHO lost all credibility 3 years ago.

At this point i'd trust medical information from the band, THE WHO before the World Health Org.

Old 05-03-2023, 04:42 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Transition from pandemic to endemic. There is no strict cut point.

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-...es%20physician.

"'This shift to looking at it from a severity of disease standpoint is important,' Dr. Parodi said. 'A measure of endemicity really is going to look at how many people are developing severe disease at a given time. If we're seeing increases in that, we've got to take action. If we're not, that's a different set of actions, and that's similar to what we do for influenza year over year.'”

By reducing severity vaccination can hasten endemicity.

Old 05-03-2023, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Just stay in your house. If you go outside make sure you double mask up. Inside around people make sure you’re 6 feet away. Go get your 7th booster shot. After all that you will be a-ok.

Again, I must repeat myself. The goal is NOT to make myself ok. The goal is to END a GLOBAL PANDEMIC!

Old 05-03-2023, 06:07 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Again, I must repeat myself. The goal is NOT to make myself ok. The goal is to END a GLOBAL PANDEMIC!
Lol to virtually everyone (that’s sane) it is OVER. We aren’t going back to lockdowns or masks for COVID so you are just going to have to deal with it. Sorry! Lol

Also 987ABC explained perfectly why COVID will never go away, but you of course ignored that post because you have zero logical arguments against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island