Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2023, 04:37 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Why even waste your time? This is the one who wears a mask in their own car when they are solo. There is not hope!
That is the definition of insanity. Are you going to give it to yourself? Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 04:45 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Let me try to explain this in the simplest way I can because none of you are getting it...

Right now, I feel fine and don't feel sick. However, I could asymptotically have Covid right now. Heck, I could even take a test right now and the test can come up with a false negative. So I go out and about mask-free living life normally. So let's say I come into contact with YOU at a store. Maybe I'm standing right behind you at a checkout line. Here I am, infectious and not knowing it, and am right behind you breathing on you. So now, I have unknowingly infected you and you can become very sick and die.

Do you understand what I'm getting at now? Simple safety measures such as masking and social distancing helps protect me AND you. It's not about being paranoid, but it's about keeping each other safe.
Good illustration of why contact tracing could never work (and did never work) to curtail this particular virus.

At the same time, what you are saying regarding the spread of airborne viruses while breathing on someone is true and there is no reason to single out Covid for this concern.

[Of course, the scientific consensus is now pretty firmly against public masking as an effective way to combat Covid.]

But, none of this should compel you to refrain from masking. At home and outside the home. Keep others (including your loved ones at home) safe. Mask away!

Old 05-07-2023, 04:47 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,745,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Plenty of reasons why a solo person in a car is wearing a mask. They could have just dropped off a sick person not knowing if he had covid, a mechanic just worked inside their car, they could have an inhalant allergy to hand sanitizer in the car etc. Those three things happened to me. Calling them insane is really crazy!

Last edited by wp169; 05-07-2023 at 05:36 PM..

Old 05-07-2023, 04:58 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Well, I knew hundreds of people who got it and all of them were fine after minimal symptoms. Far less symptoms than any flu anyone had. I know of no one that even knows someone who died from it. That’s my experience so I tend to minimize it.

And I work in a large hospital. I am aware of the floors that were full of Covid patients. I am also aware of always marking off the cause of death as Covid when they were sure it was their obescity, pneumonia, cancer and every other illness under the sun simply because the hospital got more funding with a Covid death. So, as real as it was, it wasn’t.
There is no payment to any hospital for deaths from any reason, including covid 19.

Quote:
Here is what 3M, a mask manufacturer, recommends.

https://assets.alliedelec.com/v16231...37027296dd.pdf

"Don’t take your face mask on and off.
Once your mask is on, keep it on. Even if you are just getting back
in your car between errands, removing your mask can get it dirty
and allow potentially harmful particulates near your nose and
mouth when you put it on again."

It appears you are not as knowledgeable as you want us to believe.

Old 05-07-2023, 05:25 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Let me try to explain this in the simplest way I can because none of you are getting it...

Right now, I feel fine and don't feel sick. However, I could asymptotically have Covid right now. Heck, I could even take a test right now and the test can come up with a false negative. So I go out and about mask-free living life normally. So let's say I come into contact with YOU at a store. Maybe I'm standing right behind you at a checkout line. Here I am, infectious and not knowing it, and am right behind you breathing on you. So now, I have unknowingly infected you and you can become very sick and die.

Do you understand what I'm getting at now? Simple safety measures such as masking and social distancing helps protect me AND you. It's not about being paranoid, but it's about keeping each other safe.

You're like a throw-back to 2021.

Old 05-07-2023, 05:34 PM

3,485 posts, read 1,405,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Good illustration of why contact tracing could never work (and did never work) to curtail this particular virus.

At the same time, what you are saying regarding the spread of airborne viruses while breathing on someone is true and there is no reason to single out Covid for this concern.

[Of course, the scientific consensus is now pretty firmly against public masking as an effective way to combat Covid.]

But, none of this should compel you to refrain from masking. At home and outside the home. Keep others (including your loved ones at home) safe. Mask away!

Yes, I will continue to mask. You can judge me all you want, but note that I also will judge those who do not wear one. It's not a hard thing to do. The funny thing is, once you put it on, you pretty much forget you even have one on. So I never felt it was a big deal to wear one. It can help a lot with the spread of airbourne viruses, and it's a simple thing to do too. So that's why I look down on those for not wearing one.

Old 05-07-2023, 05:38 PM

3,485 posts, read 1,405,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
More proof you can’t argue with crazy. SMH. Do you have any clue how many people did everything you said and STILL got COVID?? Also stop with your anecdotes which are 100% MEANINGLESS. You don’t even know if your parents never had COVID, they likely did and were just asymptomatic

Funny thing, many city data members told me that exact same thing about me last year when I told everyone I never caught Covid. People kept telling me I likely had it already but just didn't know it. But then I officially caught it around from Christmas time last year from someone at work and I was very much symptomatic!

Old 05-07-2023, 05:45 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,745,599 times
Quote:
Yes, I will continue to mask. You can judge me all you want, but note that I also will judge those who do not wear one. It's not a hard thing to do. The funny thing is, once you put it on, you pretty much forget you even have one on. So I never felt it was a big deal to wear one. It can help a lot with the spread of airbourne viruses, and it's a simple thing to do too. So that's why I look down on those for not wearing one.
Aren't you the one who didn't wear a mask to your office party and caught covid there? Didn't you not wear a mask to the U.S. Open? You really changed your mind about mask wearing, that's good! Not only is covid still around (I think another mild strain emerged), but RSV is very contagious also. I still wear a mask like I did all through the pandemic, stayed unvaccinated, and I was never sick with anything this entire time, not even the chronic cough I used to get every winter, and I think it's due to the mask wearing.

Old 05-07-2023, 06:27 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
Covid has made this world bonkers. 3 years later and here we are. And the posts right next here prove it!

Old 05-07-2023, 06:41 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Plenty of reasons why a solo person in a car is wearing a mask. They could have just dropped off a sick person not knowing if he had covid, a mechanic just worked inside their car, they could have an inhalant allergy to hand sanitizer in the car etc. Those three things happened to me. Calling them insane is really crazy!
Let’s remain open to the possibility the person is nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island