Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2023, 02:31 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i lost so many family members and friends to covid herein nyc
Sorry for your losses, it's a shame NY had to lose so many, including the nursing home covid victims. The closest nursing home to me had 35 covid deaths, and I just heard it's closing due to losing too much money, and it's been here for years, it's just awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 03:26 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
The studies he's talking about were the ones used to say masking would work. They were flawed, which means the idea that mask wearing would be effective was flawed.
Where does the article say that?

Quote:
So what is your basis for saying that they work?
Saying "those who think" is the same as saying "those who don't really know". Words like believe, think, assume are all indicators that someone doesn't know ( I was taught that by a scientist I worked with on a project for the EPA). Even Fauci used those words a lot.

Just wondering, why do you want to believe that they work?
A couple of real world events:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm

Among 139 clients exposed to two symptomatic hair stylists with confirmed COVID-19 while both the stylists and the clients wore face masks, no symptomatic secondary cases were reported; among 67 clients tested for SARS-CoV-2, all test results were negative. Adherence to the community’s and company’s face-covering policy likely mitigated spread of SARS-CoV-2."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7228242/

"During the outbreak of COVID‐19, one patient from Chongqing, China, has transmitted the COVID‐19 to 5 people in one vehicle when he did not wear a face mask while no one was infected later in the second vehicle he took when he wore a face mask, indicating the importance of wearing face masks for everyone in a closed space."

There is also a wealth of information on the physics of masks.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:42 PM

5,056 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The masks did not fail, the users did.
If only folks wore them while sleeping! Turns out humans don't behave that way - despite knowing that partners are susceptible to the deadly virus.

Old 05-09-2023, 04:32 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I have a problem with being summoned for Jury Duty the end of the month since I can't wear the N95 mask for more than 20 minutes, after that I feel like I can't breath and get panicky, plus I'm at higher covid risk because of my age. I go out occasionally for short periods, wear a mask, never had covid, and I'm unvaccinated. When I wrote to the Commissioner of Jurors, they told me to get a doctor's note. I can't prove to a doctor I can't wear the mask for longer than 20 minutes for him to fill out the jury excuse form. If worse comes to worse, I'm not going to show up, doctor's note or not, because I rather pay the fine and/or get thrown in a jail cell, at least I'll be alone in the cell and not in a crowded courtroom with no mask on.
Just curious--if you're that afraid of Covid (to the point that you'd rather go to jail than increase your risk of getting it), why didn't you get vaccinated?

Old 05-09-2023, 04:34 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Just curious--if you're that afraid of Covid (to the point that you'd rather go to jail than increase your risk of getting it), why didn't you get vaccinated?
Do people still honestly believe, at the point, that the vaccines prevent infection? Even our own president who was double (or triple?) boosted even caught Covid.

Old 05-09-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Well, I knew hundreds of people who got it and all of them were fine after minimal symptoms. Far less symptoms than any flu anyone had. I know of no one that even knows someone who died from it. That’s my experience so I tend to minimize it.

And I work in a large hospital. I am aware of the floors that were full of Covid patients. I am also aware of always marking off the cause of death as Covid when they were sure it was their obescity, pneumonia, cancer and every other illness under the sun simply because the hospital got more funding with a Covid death. So, as real as it was, it wasn’t.
Your second-last sentence is false.

https://www.verifythis.com/article/n...2-0ff482593afd

Old 05-09-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Do people still honestly believe, at the point, that the vaccines prevent infection? Even our own president who was double (or triple?) boosted even caught Covid.
The claim with vaccines and boosters is that you decrease your risk of having severe illness, or dying. Merely catching it, I mean, what percentage of Americans has not had it at least once by this point? Has to be a really small proportion of the population

Old 05-09-2023, 04:46 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post

So, perhaps it hasn't been explained to your clearly. The vaccines do decrease your chance of getting infected. And if you do get infected, being vaccinated means you don't tend to get as sick because your body's immune system is primed to fight the virus. And you are less likely to die if you are vaccinated. That's all good. And like some other vaccines, like the flu vaccine, you need to have repeat vaccines/boosters with time. Lots of vaccines don't prevent infections completely. Viruses are different. People are different. Exposures are different.

Of course Trump got infected because he took very few precautions, was surrounded by unvaccinated people who also weren't wearing mask or taking precautions. And Trump did better than typical elderly folks his age who got infected because he was vaccinated. Although, he also got top notch medial care.... wisked away to the hospital, infused with pricey antibodies to help fight the infection and steroids that helped him feel great.

Old 05-09-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
The claim with vaccines and boosters is that you decrease your risk of having severe illness, or dying. Merely catching it, I mean, what percentage of Americans has not had it at least once by this point? Has to be a really small proportion of the population
I'm sorry, I don't believe that. My cousin, who is only in his 40s and has NO underlying health conditions and got the two Pfizer shots, got hospitalized when he caught Covid back in 2021. My uncle, who caught the Alpha variant back in 2020 before the vaccines came out, just got flu symptoms and recovered at home.

I see no pattern that the vaccines helped. I'm sorry, but the vaccines were a complete flop. They don't work! It *might've* worked on the Alpha variant since that is what the vaccines targeted, but once Delta came out, the vaccines didn't do squat!

Old 05-09-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
So, perhaps it hasn't been explained to your clearly. The vaccines do decrease your chance of getting infected. And if you do get infected, being vaccinated means you don't tend to get as sick because your body's immune system is primed to fight the virus. And you are less likely to die if you are vaccinated. That's all good. And like some other vaccines, like the flu vaccine, you need to have repeat vaccines/boosters with time. Lots of vaccines don't prevent infections completely. Viruses are different. People are different. Exposures are different.

Of course Trump got infected because he took very few precautions, was surrounded by unvaccinated people who also weren't wearing mask or taking precautions. And Trump did better than typical elderly folks his age who got infected because he was vaccinated. Although, he also got top notch medial care.... wisked away to the hospital, infused with pricey antibodies to help fight the infection and steroids that helped him feel great.

I was talking about Biden. As "cautious" as he was and even though he was boosted, he still caught Covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island