Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2023, 06:09 AM

3,515 posts, read 5,696,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
What exactly is wrong with wearing masks?
If we were meant to wear masks, it would have been part of our DNA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 06:16 AM

427 posts, read 153,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
The only people still wearing masks are uggos and the neurotic.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:51 AM

3,484 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
So that means we shouldn't be wearing clothes or shoes then. After all, it's not part of our DNA.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:30 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
While sleeping (and potentially breathing out deadly viruses…straight onto our loved ones)?

Old 05-12-2023, 08:32 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
And shoplifters and muggers (they realize masks can conceal identity…who knew?).

Old 05-12-2023, 08:43 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
Quote:
They are uncomfortable.
They restrict breathing.
They prevent people from taking cues off of your facial expressions.
They make people look inhuman.
If, and this is very much an if, they prevent the consumption of airborne viruses, doing such is harmful to overall health over one's lifetime, insofar as our immune systems, with regard to airborne viruses, have evolved to combat them with antibodies, and in order to develop antibodies well, you need constant minor exposures, which come with being unmasked and interacting with many other humans in many different settings. By inhibiting the development of this systems over a long period of time, you may be maximizing the chance that you suffer an incredibly harmful reaction to a significant exposure later in life.
If, however, they don't prevent the consumption of airborne viruses, than they are, from the inception, a complete waste.

Old 05-12-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
or the lobotomy survivors

Old 05-12-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
So that means we shouldn't be wearing clothes or shoes then. After all, it's not part of our DNA.
in theory yes...... it would limit the range of where humans could live.... but look at the tribal people of Africa and some in Asia.

Old 05-12-2023, 12:30 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
And your immune system is getting weaker by not being exposed.....
Absolutely not true.

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2SY1SP

Quote:
Nature/God whatever you want to believe would have selected/evolved us in to having masks as part of natural selection if we "need" them. Theres a reason we have nose hair, ear hair, eye lids, etc....
Despite having "nose hair, ear hair, eye lids, etc...." people get sick with covid-19. Masks reduce exposure to airborne virus laden droplets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
They are uncomfortable.
They restrict breathing.
They prevent people from taking cues off of your facial expressions.
They make people look inhuman.
If, and this is very much an if, they prevent the consumption of airborne viruses, doing such is harmful to overall health over one's lifetime, insofar as our immune systems, with regard to airborne viruses, have evolved to combat them with antibodies, and in order to develop antibodies well, you need constant minor exposures, which come with being unmasked and interacting with many other humans in many different settings. By inhibiting the development of this systems over a long period of time, you may be maximizing the chance that you suffer an incredibly harmful reaction to a significant exposure later in life.
If, however, they don't prevent the consumption of airborne viruses, than they are, from the inception, a complete waste.
Surgical N95s can be uncomfortable, but they are not for the general public. KN95s are quite comfortable.

There is no such thing as a "minor exposure". In order to make antibodies to an infection you have to be infected.

Masks do not completely prevent infections; they do reduce them. Exposure without infection will not produce antibodies.

Old 05-12-2023, 02:17 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I barely ever got sick before Covid so I guess you have a weaker immune system. Stop wearing the mask and you will have better immunity.
I barely got sick either, but occasionally would get a common cold with running nose, sore throat, chronic cough in winter, etc., but the masked me got nothing. I won't play Russian Roullette and take a chance that I could pick up spike proteins from a covid infected person (and God knows what else from all the migrants arriving in NY) to make my immune system better. The spike proteins might shut down ALL my systems and I'll be dead (my age is in the higher risk group)!

Last edited by wp169; 05-12-2023 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island