Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2023, 06:19 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
The claim with vaccines and boosters is that you decrease your risk of having severe illness, or dying. Merely catching it, I mean, what percentage of Americans has not had it at least once by this point? Has to be a really small proportion of the population
That’s the claim, which is completely unprovable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 06:41 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
That’s the claim, which is completely unprovable.

No, it is easily provable.

https://doh.wa.gov/sites/default/fil...Vaccinated.pdf

"From March 04 to March 31, 2023, unvaccinated individuals were between 2.8
and 7.4 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 compared to those
who received at least one booster dose*

From February 10 to March 09, 2023, unvaccinated individuals were between
1.6 and 1.8 times more likely to die from COVID-19 compared to those who
received at least one booster dose"

Old 05-09-2023, 07:10 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
A couple of real world events:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm

Among 139 clients exposed to two symptomatic hair stylists with confirmed COVID-19 while both the stylists and the clients wore face masks, no symptomatic secondary cases were reported; among 67 clients tested for SARS-CoV-2, all test results were negative. Adherence to the community’s and company’s face-covering policy likely mitigated spread of SARS-CoV-2."
Likely? In other words, we don't know. And they interviewed people by telephone which is always a risky way to get good information. Sorry, but there's no indication that a mask, especially ones that have been determined to be ineffective factored in or not.

Quote:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7228242/

"During the outbreak of COVID‐19, one patient from Chongqing, China, has transmitted the COVID‐19 to 5 people in one vehicle when he did not wear a face mask while no one was infected later in the second vehicle he took when he wore a face mask, indicating the importance of wearing face masks for everyone in a closed space."

There is also a wealth of information on the physics of masks.
I don't think many studies start with "Dear Editor" and give anecdotal stories of cab rides in China.

The more interesting articles and studies at NCBI are pre-COVID and can give a lot of insight into what was wrong with the COVID response, and what went right. The worst articles to read on NCBI are the recent COVID articles from the start of the pandemic. Politicians, local governments, hospitals and medical professionals were taking wild ass guesses to what was a good move hoping they wouldn't screw up too badly and ruin their careers.

Just remember something about studies, half of the ones that pass peer review are proven faulty or wrong within 6 months, and a large (most?) part of the data collected is inaccurate if not outright wrong (not for nefarious reasons but for other reasons such as hospitals not properly reporting to counties in a timely manner who didn't properly report to the states in a timely manner who didn't report to the Federal website makers in a timely manner, and they all took weekends and holidays off which pushed larger amounts of data up the chain when they got back. Which is all normal).

Old 05-09-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Likely? In other words, we don't know. And they interviewed people by telephone which is always a risky way to get good information. Sorry, but there's no indication that a mask, especially ones that have been determined to be ineffective factored in or not.
Likely means probable.

Quote:
I don't think many studies start with "Dear Editor" and give anecdotal stories of cab rides in China.
It was not a study. It was a case report. It was buses, not cabs.

Quote:
The more interesting articles and studies at NCBI are pre-COVID and can give a lot of insight into what was wrong with the COVID response, and what went right. The worst articles to read on NCBI are the recent COVID articles from the start of the pandemic. Politicians, local governments, hospitals and medical professionals were taking wild ass guesses to what was a good move hoping they wouldn't screw up too badly and ruin their careers.
What does this have to do with my post, which was my response to why I believe masks work?

Quote:
Just remember something about studies, half of the ones that pass peer review are proven faulty or wrong within 6 months, and a large (most?) part of the data collected is inaccurate if not outright wrong (not for nefarious reasons but for other reasons such as hospitals not properly reporting to counties in a timely manner who didn't properly report to the states in a timely manner who didn't report to the Federal website makers in a timely manner, and they all took weekends and holidays off which pushed larger amounts of data up the chain when they got back. Which is all normal).
What does this have to do with my post, which was my response to "why do I believe masks work?"

Old 05-09-2023, 07:44 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
No, it is easily provable.

https://doh.wa.gov/sites/default/fil...Vaccinated.pdf

"From March 04 to March 31, 2023, unvaccinated individuals were between 2.8
and 7.4 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 compared to those
who received at least one booster dose*

From February 10 to March 09, 2023, unvaccinated individuals were between
1.6 and 1.8 times more likely to die from COVID-19 compared to those who
received at least one booster dose"
Hmmm, no mention of comorbidities or race/ethnicity.

Interesting that Washington State, there were 0 newly reported COVID-19 cases and 0 newly reported COVID-19 deaths on Apr 29, 2023. Looks like there sample numbers are getting too low.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:45 PM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Likely means probable.

It was not a study. It was a case report. It was buses, not cabs.

What does this have to do with my post, which was my response to why I believe masks work?

What does this have to do with my post, which was my response to "why do I believe masks work?"
If you mean by mask.. like in SCUBA gear with a self contained air supply, then yes they work.
Everything else is fooling yourself

Old 05-09-2023, 07:46 PM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
If only folks wore them while sleeping! Turns out humans don't behave that way - despite knowing that partners are susceptible to the deadly virus.
If humans were meant to wear masks, nature would have evolved us to have them.......

Old 05-09-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Hmmm, no mention of comorbidities or race/ethnicity.

Interesting that Washington State, there were 0 newly reported COVID-19 cases and 0 newly reported COVID-19 deaths on Apr 29, 2023. Looks like there sample numbers are getting too low.
The issue is vaccinated vs unvaccinated.

The sample numbers are decreasing. It was discussed at the link.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:01 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Just curious--if you're that afraid of Covid (to the point that you'd rather go to jail than increase your risk of getting it), why didn't you get vaccinated?
I guess you didn't read this part of my previous post. What good will the vaccine do when the vaccinated are more likely to get the current strain of covid?

The current dominant variant of COVID-19 in NYC is omicron XBB.1.5. This variant is the most transmissible, and it may be more likely to infect people who have been vaccinated or previously had COVID-19. It's not know yet whether XBB.1.5 may cause more severe disease.

I would even feel worse if I WAS vaccinated going to Jury Duty, it's even more risky! The point is at my age I'm at higher risk for covid, but the state wants me to take that risk instead of giving younger people a jury summons who are less likely to get it (but I feel nobody should be forced to do Jury Duty under these circumstances). I would be more than willing to do a virtual case on my home computer.

Last edited by wp169; 05-09-2023 at 08:13 PM..

Old 05-09-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I guess you didn't read this part of my previous post. What good will the vaccine do when the vaccinated are more likely to get the current strain of covid?

The current dominant variant of COVID-19 in NYC is omicron XBB.1.5. This variant is the most transmissible, and it may be more likely to infect people who have been vaccinated or previously had COVID-19. It's not know yet whether XBB.1.5 may cause more severe disease.

I would even feel worse if I WAS vaccinated going to Jury Duty, it's even more risky!
That is not what your quote means. It means that both vaccinated people and people who have had covid-19 may be more susceptible to XBB.1.5 than previous variants.

A link to your source would be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island