Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:50 AM

149 posts, read 345,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Good luck.

We love it up here in Rocky Point.
Check out Sound Beach and Ridge too.

SWR is a nice area but has some challenges with the schools/taxes right now so just a heads up.

Feel free to DM me .

Best

Crooks
I have heard about shoreham schools... I may stay away for that one reason. As far as ridge...I have not heard good things about Longwood ?? I think RP is the way for me.......... Mt Sinai & Miller place are in the miox too........Thanks again so much for all your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 08:19 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcba View Post
I have heard about shoreham schools... I may stay away for that one reason. As far as ridge...I have not heard good things about Longwood ?? I think RP is the way for me.......... Mt Sinai & Miller place are in the miox too........Thanks again so much for all your help
Rocky Point is probably your best bang for the buck.

I do have friends who are very happy with Longwood.

Good luck

Old 07-22-2010, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,894 times
Anyone who makes fun and pokes jokes of Mastic Beach/Shriley will be eating their words in the near future. All who make it a bad place to live will be put out and left with no where to run and hide!!! LOL....Goodbye slumlords, inbreds, drug addicts/dealers, and just all around general losers. The pictures like you see above do exsist here and you will start seeing more and more of these homes and less of the ghetto looking ones. Mastic Beach will become an incorporated village and that is when we take to the streets to straighten out some seriously misled people.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach1966 View Post
Anyone who makes fun and pokes jokes of Mastic Beach/Shriley will be eating their words in the near future. All who make it a bad place to live will be put out and left with no where to run and hide!!! LOL....Goodbye slumlords, inbreds, drug addicts/dealers, and just all around general losers. The pictures like you see above do exsist here and you will start seeing more and more of these homes and less of the ghetto looking ones. Mastic Beach will become an incorporated village and that is when we take to the streets to straighten out some seriously misled people.
Good luck to you! Seriously!

I actually think the extra property taxes are worth every penny when it comes to Villages, as long as the Village government takes its responsibilities to the residents seriously when it comes to enacting and enforcing ordinances that maintain QOL.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Seriously I also wish you a healthy dose of good luck! It is very very difficult for ANY place to transcend what sociologists call a "negative place imputation."
The tri - Hamlet Community never was a desirable spot. It was built for, and hawked to bilue collar people. It never had a" glamorous hey day", a lively main street or a thriving middle class.
Locals complain incessantly about section 8 people and welfare dumping. But for a few strokes of fate and luck in my observation, not much separates the Shirley Mastic homeowner from his section 8 neighbor. Perhaps a 10k down payment.But that was it.
It is a good place to start if you already have a decent job on Long Island have a small down payment and want to obtain a bit of equity. Spend time at the beach for the three short months that you can. Avail yourself of the library, find a good pre-school for your children and LEAVE!
Also while you are there be very very selective about your friends, and do not get involved with their silly car culture competitions or their sexist and racist attitudes. Oh yes and did I mention homophobia and a general feeling of hopelessness, ignorance and an anti - education attitude?
Yes they have that to offer as well.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:20 PM

401 posts, read 945,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach1966 View Post
Way to go! I wish you the best...sincerely!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 PM

414 posts, read 911,691 times
"Locals complain incessantly about section 8 people and welfare dumping. But for a few strokes of fate and luck in my observation, not much separates the Shirley Mastic homeowner from his section 8 neighbor. Perhaps a 10k down payment.But that was it."

Wow, Sheena12...I'm very curious about what or who burned you so badly when you lived in the area? You certainly sound like your life was Moderator cut: language removed when you were here! You clearly don't care for the area but really, it's far from a ghetto and...believe it or not...there are some nice, educated, pleasant people that live here, almost like 'normal' folks!

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...#ixzz0uq1rZYCW

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-26-2010 at 07:42 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 PM

Really if you like it stay. I did find the people clannish and ill educated. Not a pleasant experience but worth not throwing money away on rent. Made a bit of money too.

Apparently you do not do much to break the mold - the mod had to cut whatever it was that you were about to say to me! Typical.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:44 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,425,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Really if you like it stay. I did find the people clannish and ill educated. Not a pleasant experience but worth not throwing money away on rent. Made a bit of money too.

Apparently you do not do much to break the mold - the mod had to cut whatever it was that you were about to say to me! Typical.
Ok, for starters just by the amount of spelling errors in your previous posts you really shouldn't be pointing fingers or questioning education. Furthermore there are plenty of good law abiding educated citizens that reside in the tri-ham area. I grew up there as did many people I know who are employed as accountants, lawyers and medical professionals several of them at YOUR local hospital. So be careful, you never know where we're lurking just waiting to contaminate you with our shirleyness. You didn't like it, get over it.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:14 PM

Oh yeah the area is just chock full of professionals.
I will notice badly educated people when ever I want. I do not need to edit myself to post on an online forum. The substance of what I wrote remains true.
I am soooo over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island